General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

AC hose destroyed by pulley...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM

AC hose destroyed by pulley...

My rubber ac line that runs under the motor was destroyed. Somehow it shifted, or my motor mounts are very sagged, and the line is now touching the bottom of the motor. The pulley ate through the rubber hose (found out after I basically pissed away $20 worth of r134a and the air was still warm).

Is it possible to take some thick AC line, flare the ends, cut the rubber hose, and put the hard line in like a bridge, and clamp it down?

Will it hold, or is there too much pressure?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Which line are you asking about?

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/ac_system.jpg
Old 05-25-2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Which line are you asking about?

Courtesy of Shoebox:

http://shbox.com/1/ac_system.jpg
Looks like line 29. Runs from the back of the compressor to the condenser IIRC.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Isn't that a rigid metal tube? I haven't had A/C for 10 years, so I don't remember.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Isn't that a rigid metal tube? I haven't had A/C for 10 years, so I don't remember.
The back half is steel, and as it nears the front of the engine it is rubber.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:43 AM

I believe that is the high pressure side. Where if the low pressure side it would hold. The high pressure might. Just get a brass barb fitting coupler. Cut the hose in half and use it to connect the lines. I've done it on my dd and a buddy's truck. Though on the low side and held no problem. It actually never leaked.

I would double clamp it though. If it doesn't hold. Then well the hose will need replace.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:48 PM

ac

I just ran into the same problem as you. What did you do to fix your ac line mine has a big hole in it. How hard is it to reach back there and pull just that one line out from the compressor it looks like its the easiest one to get to back there on the bottom of ac compressor.

Anyone else can chime
Old 07-06-2010, 06:50 PM

Same **** happened to mine, I just replaced it though.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:31 PM

ac lines

Did u take the ac compressor off to install new lines how did you do yours. I am new to the AC world in cars
Old 07-07-2010, 01:40 PM

ac

bump
Old 07-07-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by LearJet
Same **** happened to mine, I just replaced it though.
+1 i also replace mine when i encountered this problem..
Old 07-07-2010, 03:34 PM

Good God, it's been so long since I've done any work on my TA I made a noob post about removing this exact ac line without looking at the first page of this section.

My rubber hose got a hole from rubbing next to the alternator. I got another ac hose assembly from another lt1. Started taking everything apart last night.

I let go all the fittings, but trying to get the assembly lowered out from behind the AC compressor, can't figure it out without cutting it.

Letting go of the swaybar gave me much more room. I'm close to trying to cut it, but that doesn't help me getting the new part in.

edit: to answer your question, that thicker rubber line holds alot of pressure. I initially had my hose somewhat patched, then wrapped with pipe tape, then wrapped with some electric and then placed a worm gear clamp around it. Still busted the makeshift seal.

Last edited by lbrowne; 07-07-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:50 PM

btw: you have to let go the bolts on the compressor and this piece will slide right out.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by lbrowne
Good God, it's been so long since I've done any work on my TA I made a noob post about removing this exact ac line without looking at the first page of this section.

My rubber hose got a hole from rubbing next to the alternator. I got another ac hose assembly from another lt1. Started taking everything apart last night.

I let go all the fittings, but trying to get the assembly lowered out from behind the AC compressor, can't figure it out without cutting it.

Letting go of the swaybar gave me much more room. I'm close to trying to cut it, but that doesn't help me getting the new part in.

edit: to answer your question, that thicker rubber line holds alot of pressure. I initially had my hose somewhat patched, then wrapped with pipe tape, then wrapped with some electric and then placed a worm gear clamp around it. Still busted the makeshift seal.
Post up as to how you got it out from behind the compressor. I can't get mine out either, even with jacking up the motor. I thought about cutting it but like you said, that doesn't help with getting the new line in.

What did you end up doing?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:41 PM

See my last post before you replied - I just let go of the 3 compressor bolts and it came out. No jacking the motor required.

Quick Reply: AC hose destroyed by pulley...