General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

'98 Z28 blocked exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 AM

'98 Z28 blocked exhaust?

Hi guys,

I've been running my '98 Z for about 2 months now and can't tell you how much joy it brings to my daily driving!

Anyway, i'm thinking about starting to try get it running really well and the first thing I want to address is the exhaust. I bought it with an aftermarket exhaust (not sure what) which looks real nice. But when I was having my wheels aligned up on the ramp, I pulled about a football size amount of wire mesh stuff out from the drivers side tail pipe!

I am assuming this is the innards of the back box (which has taken a bit of a battering by the looks of things), but how will this affect the performance? I'm sure I can notice a bit of a whistleling/wheezy sound now, almost like somebody trying to breath with a sponge in their mouth... but that could just be in my head.

I know there's a few exhaust threads but just wondering if someone can tell me what that stuff is and how it affects the car.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM

As all modern exhaust is made of stainless steel the reference to the "black box" is a little confusing. But given your location I'm going to assume that your talking about your muffler. If it is indeed black it's probably some locally produce POS and the wire is the baffling. I think I'd just go ahead and replace it.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
As all modern exhaust is made of stainless steel the reference to the "black box" is a little confusing. But given your location I'm going to assume that your talking about your muffler. If it is indeed black it's probably some locally produce POS and the wire is the baffling. I think I'd just go ahead and replace it.
I'm not sure where you got "black box" from, I said "back box". I am from the UK and we call the muffler the back box. Anyway, the Z is actually imported from Japan to Dubai so no idea where the muffler came from.

I think i'm going to take the car to a tuner and get some opinions on what to do.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will end up changing out the whole thing.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by geo1400
I'm not sure where you got "black box" from, I said "back box". I am from the UK and we call the muffler the back box. Anyway, the Z is actually imported from Japan to Dubai so no idea where the muffler came from.

I think i'm going to take the car to a tuner and get some opinions on what to do.

Thanks for the advice, I think I will end up changing out the whole thing.
Sorry, definitely read "black"!! A common way to check if the flow is the same on both sides is to simply feel it with your hand.