General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

2002 B4C Camaro Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:14 AM

2002 B4C Camaro Question

Hello. I have a 2002 B4C Canaro that needs a new drivers door. Cam anyone tell me what year Camaro's will cross fit? Also is there any sites out there that you know of that I can get mor technical info? Ie: What type of rearends they came with, Tranny's, How many in production for 2002? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks Angelo in CT
Emailetailerofstars@aol.com
Old 09-21-2007, 06:35 AM

This is definitely the wrong forum, a 2002 would be a 4th gen and this is Future Vehicle Discussion. But the exterior door panel would be the same from 93-2002. I would assume that 98-2002 would have the same interior door panel as a 2002. This site is one of the best for asking specific questions but LS1tech used to be good for the 98+ cars, but it recently got sold so I am not sure about that now. I am sure a mod will move this to the appropriate forum shortly.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 AM

rear ends:

auto came with either 2.73 or 3.23....likely a B4C is the performance 3.23 gearing

all manuals came with 3.42 gearing
Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by B4C INTERCEPTOR
Hello. I have a 2002 B4C Canaro that needs a new drivers door. Cam anyone tell me what year Camaro's will cross fit? Also is there any sites out there that you know of that I can get mor technical info? Ie: What type of rearends they came with, Tranny's, How many in production for 2002? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks Angelo in CT
Emailetailerofstars@aol.com
2 year owner of a 2002 B4C here.

2002 saw 583 B4Cs produced.

125 were 6 speed manuals.

583 were automatics.

Mine is prior service to California Highway Patrol, and was one of the 1st retired. California placed a single bulk order of 73. 2002 was the only model year Camaro the CHP bought and put into regular service (they had a few RSs in '92, and ran '79 Z28s, but purchased no where near the 73 Camaros of 2002, let alone the 100-150 5.0 Mustangs they bought annually from '83 to '93).

CHP B4C Camaros look different from other B4Cs in that on both sides of the "grille" there's a group of holes behind which were mounted speakers. With the speakers removed, the holes do help with breathing & cooling.

Except the cars used primarily for training vehicles, or cars used for public relations or car shows, the "working" cars were all Artic White, had cloth interior, CD player, power windows, seats, & mirrors and trunk releases. When sold, unlike other police cars the CHP uses, the police antenna bases aren't removed and the holes patched.

Instead, the CHP buys and screws on the chrome "Anntenex" caps on the bases (there's one in the center of the roof, and 3 spaced evenly side by side on the roof just ahead of the hatch opening). I still get questioned about those things at least once a week by someone (funny thing is that they miss the bullit hole in the front bumper...the car came with a saved newspaper article about a shootout it was involved in ).

Another cool thing is the tie-down hooks in the luggage area above the fuel tank-rear axle remains, and looks almost stock. I keep a hard shelled brief case secured back there with a rubber strap with hooks.

Although the cars are very, very quick, they get a decidedly mixed review from the CHP. Both the drivers and the guys at the vehicle garage who maintain them.

They tend to eat automatic transmissions. The power window motors are nortorious for everything except working dependably. The "LS1 rattle" is less than confidence inspiring. Trim pieces easily break. Brakes warps easier than other cars except the old 5.0 Mustangs. While they tend to fix up and sell Crown Vics, and once made a mint selling Mustangs on their vehicle sales lot (they invest the money to refurbish vehicles before they resell them to the public), most all Camaros are sent away to auctions as is. I was one of the lucky ones who got one that was in great, almost new condition (it was assigned to a single officer who maintained it very well since the state was footing the bill).

Last edited by guionM; 09-21-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:06 PM

Ya gotta love cool cop cars.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:00 PM

Now I can post!

Wow... well it's been a long time since I've been around here. I haven't posted here since I sold my 95 1LE Z28 in like 1999 or 2000. I just bought one of these 2002 CHP B4C's. Mine is CHP car number 1717 and it was assigned out of Santa Barbara. Mine was well cared for! I contacted the officer that was assigned to it and the auto-tech that was assigned to care for it. They did a good job caring for it and the officer was happy to hear from me. They also still had the service records and gave me a run-down of what was done to it.

On a side note- does anyone know what's up with the hand-full of 2002 CHP B4C's that ended up with the LS6 from the factory and what happened to them? I heard there were ten or twelve? I know where one supposedly is and have a link to the site, but I heard the others were at the CHP Emergency Vehicle Operations School. Is this rumor or true? Boy would I like to get my hands on one of those COPO cars if they haven't already been auctioned!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 05:37 PM

Hate to bust the old bubble, but it's just an internet rumor. That rumor is founded on the actual fact that some LS1 Camaros had LS6 based blocks.

This question came up at the first post-auto show gathering I attended that Scott Settlemire threw. I don't remember the specifics, but you can look them up on the internet. One of the car rags did a story on it as well.

In reality GM used a few thousand LS6 blocks to make LS1s for f-bodies, the story morphed into the internet rumor that GM installed and "snuck out" a "few" LS6 powered Camaros. The LS6 B4C rumor is just the latest basterization of the story. Also contributing to the story was the fact that in 2001, the LS1 moved to a standardized high capacity intake from the LS6, while switching to a smaller camshaft to maintain power levels. The reason this was done was to eliminate the EGR valve on LS1s and to save costs, not to gain more power.

The GTO uses the same system with an aggressive cam and makes 350 horses. About 10-15 more than the standard F-body based LS1 and at 365, torque is about 20 ft/lbs more as well. With heads and a valvetrain change, you can get something very close to an LS6 (minus the pistons and the racetrack level durability), and some people actually have installed LS6 heads, springs, and intakes.

FWIW: all powerplants requires millions of dollars of certification, both to meet GM's standards and test compatability with other vehicle subsystems and federal government certification for emissions & emissions duribility (needs to go at least 100,000 miles without any maintence to the emissions system) and crash standards.

I don't think there's any question about if GM would have spent the money to do this on a soon to be terminated 4th gen F-body.

Last edited by guionM; 10-04-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:13 PM

Thanks- That would make sense.

Trentster
Old 06-29-2008, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
This is definitely the wrong forum, a 2002 would be a 4th gen and this is Future Vehicle Discussion. But the exterior door panel would be the same from 93-2002. I would assume that 98-2002 would have the same interior door panel as a 2002. This site is one of the best for asking specific questions but LS1tech used to be good for the 98+ cars, but it recently got sold so I am not sure about that now. I am sure a mod will move this to the appropriate forum shortly.
When I listed this thread I went under

General F-Body Tech & Info

says from 1967-2002 Thats why I listed this question under this discussion. Either way no harm done. Were all here for the same reason. We all own camaro's. Thanks for the heads up anyways
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Trentster
Now I can post!

Wow... well it's been a long time since I've been around here. I haven't posted here since I sold my 95 1LE Z28 in like 1999 or 2000. I just bought one of these 2002 CHP B4C's. Mine is CHP car number 1717 and it was assigned out of Santa Barbara. Mine was well cared for! I contacted the officer that was assigned to it and the auto-tech that was assigned to care for it. They did a good job caring for it and the officer was happy to hear from me. They also still had the service records and gave me a run-down of what was done to it.

On a side note- does anyone know what's up with the hand-full of 2002 CHP B4C's that ended up with the LS6 from the factory and what happened to them? I heard there were ten or twelve? I know where one supposedly is and have a link to the site, but I heard the others were at the CHP Emergency Vehicle Operations School. Is this rumor or true? Boy would I like to get my hands on one of those COPO cars if they haven't already been auctioned!!!
I know for a fact one of those LS6's has a home in sacramento, ca.
Private owner who has it back to CHP specks including decals and eq.
It's a show stopper!!!!