Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

Injector Identification / Specs 621031 - Green Ring On Top (Not Full Green Top)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Injector Identification / Specs 621031 - Green Ring On Top (Not Full Green Top)

I bought these 42# injectors used a few years ago for my 383 build. I am working on chasing down a problem and injectors are now under the microscope. The number on the injector is 621031 (there is also 1431 printed on another part of the injector)

a Google search brings me to THIS page telling me they could be Racetronicx 01D030B (Lucas old 5208009, Lucas New 621031, Delphi old D3181AA)

TYPICAL APPLICATIONS: High-performance, replacement for Ford/Bosch M-9593-F302(F), M9593-F304(F)

Only catch is - mine have a green ring not blue. What the heck are these things.

My number matches the Lucas New number listed there. Further searching says these injectors flow 42lb/hr (440 cc/min) at 43.5 PSI ( 3 BAR ) and are fully compatible with alternate fuels and alcohol.

Google Images of that part number show some green and some blue, does this mean anything?

I am trying to ohm test these puppy's - The site says "Coil Resistance: 12.2 Ohms / High Impedance"... Not quite understanding - is 12.2ohms considered high impedance?. At any rate mine ohm out at 16.7, 16.8, 16.8, 17, 17, 17, 17, & 16.8. Something is not adding up here.

I see they replace ford injectors, and I seem to recall throwing around the word SVO a few times when I bought them and I know there is a formula to figure out what they convert out to when using on our cars (95 Camaro). Mine are set to: Injector Flow Rate 44.28 lb/hr & Display Injector Flow Rate: 6.78 gal/hr (Display? not sure what that is for)

Any input at all will be helpful. Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Re: Injector Identification / Specs 621031 - Green Ring On Top (Not Full Green Top)

There are two types of injectors - high impedance (also know as saturated) and low impedance (also known as peak-and-hold).

A high impedance injector typically has a resistance in the range of 12 - 16 ohms (LT1 stockers are spec'd at 12 - 15ohms). A low impedance injector has a resistance in the range of 2 - 4 ohms. The high impedance injectors will flow about 1 amp current to open and hold the injector open. The low impedance injectors will flow upwards of 5 amps to open the injector, and then pull only about 1 amp to hold it open. The advantage of the low impedance injector is a faster opening time.

You have to match the type of injectors to the injector drivers in the ECU. The stock 4th Gen PCM requires high impedance injectors. To run a low impedance injector, you would use an outboard conversion box. Used to be you couldn't get much of anything over 42 #/HR in high impedance, but over the past 10 years they have managed to design much larger injectors that are high impedance.

Don't know the specifics of your injectors, or why they are measuring in the range of 17 ohms. You would have to check the manufacturers specification.

Since you indicate the flow rate of the injectors you are using is based on a 43.5psi differential pressure, there is no pressure conversion necessary when using them in a stock 43.5psi fuel system. The odd thing is you indicate they are rated 42 #/HR at 43.5psi, but programmed as 44.28 #/HR. That is the number you would get if you converted a 42 #/HR injector flow rated at 39.15psi (2.7 bar) to the flow rate ate 43.5psi. So your two data points don't add up.

A 44.28 #/HR rating would convert to a 6.78 gallon/hr flow rate if you assume a fuel specific gravity of 0.783 (= 6.53 #/gallon). Not sure why they picked that particular conversion rate. But that's not related to the operating pressure or the manufacturer.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:26 AM

Re: Injector Identification / Specs 621031 - Green Ring On Top (Not Full Green Top)

Yea I guess I didn't do the research as well as I should have when I originally got them. I never notice they were rated using the fuel pressure we use, I thought for some lazy reason they were rated using fords fuel pressure. At any rate I removed them from the vehicle and set up a bench test / cleaning station with a reservoir and air compressor (22psi only to be safe) and an old pulse width modulated brushed speed controller (for rc cars) running 7.2 volts.. It worked well and I got a bunch of dirt and grime out of them with sea foam (came out almost black). I also flow tested them letting them all run at the same psi for 1 min and measuring how much fluid it moved, the first test came back with about a 20% spread in flow, hope after the cleaning (soaking now with seafom/fuel sitting inside them) will be closer to 1%.. Then I will tune for the proper 42lb/hr and see how things are looking. I guess it does not really matter as long as they are really 42# injectors. Thanks for the post :-)