Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

We really need an LT1 sticky on clutch/flywheel options

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:24 PM

Here is an update on latest clutch.

About 2 years ago I had this disk made locally by a clutch shop that knows everything about clutches, he knows all about Spec, Centerforce and Mcleod etc and knows the dirty on them all. I told him I wanted a clutch that gripped well and worked buttery smooth and was not grabby and felt better than stock. This is what he made me.

Custom made Kevlar/asbestos composite dual friction disk

I used this disk with a used SLP pressure plate that already showed some wear. This was the smoothest clutch I have ever experienced by far, it was not the slightest bit grabby and gripped awesome when my engine was making 300 RWHP. It turns out that I was getting just a tad of slippage with my new engine (see sig) during back to back hard launches, so now I was off to the drawing board again.

Here is what I am now installing
Spec Stage 3+ disk
SLP pressure plate (resurfaced)

It turned out that the SLP pressure plate friction surface was not flat, I checked another LT4 PP that I had and foud the same thing. I then went to the parts house and saw a brand new pressure plate with the same concave surface. This is obviously no good, the friction surface is supposed to be totally flat.

I had the SLP PP resurfaced to flaten it out and to remove some material to ensure that the thicker than stock Spec disk diod not have in release issues. A total of .014" was removed and it is not perfectly flat. My clutch guy even painted it up in bling bling gold to match the Spec disk, I have never met anyone who goes the extra mile more for the customer than this guy. It is almost too pretty to install:

I clearly wanted to reuse my drilled SLP pressure plate which is several pounds lighter and I definitely did not want to spend nearly $700 for a complete Spec Stage 3+ clutch set. I also had my stock flwheel resurfaced. Anyway I will have the car back together this weekend and I am looking at about 500 miles of break in before I can hammer on it. We are optimistic that this clutch will easily hold ~400RWHP and not be too grabby. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Last edited by wrd1972; 10-18-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:13 AM

Early on (initial post?) it was stated that the SPEC Flywheel was not as heavy as the stocker. I just put a SPEC Flywheel on my '96 and it is absolutely heavier (26.8lbs) than the stocker(23?) it replaced.

Just got it..

Nice wide Flat Surface...

Backside showing removable counterweight (making it neutral balance)
Old 12-24-2007, 12:59 PM

good info this will save me alot of cash. thanks for all the info. will the MCL-261871 hold 400 plus????
Old 12-24-2007, 03:02 PM

It states in the initial post that the SLP flywheel is drilled, it's the pressure plate that is drilled from SLP to save weight, not the flywheel. The flywheel is just billet steel.

I just recently installed the SLP flywheel and PP w/ the Mcleod 7500 disc on my new motor. It grabs quick but drives like a stocker....smooth, soft pedal feel.

I believe SLP has discontinued the flywheel and pp for the lt1 though...I bought both on clearance and noticed they no longer list them on their website.?

Last edited by KY95Z28; 12-24-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by KY95Z28
It states in the initial post that the SLP flywheel is drilled, it's the pressure plate that is drilled from SLP to save weight, not the flywheel. The flywheel is just billet steel.

I just recently installed the SLP flywheel and PP w/ the Mcleod 7500 disc on my new motor. It grabs quick but drives like a stocker....smooth, soft pedal feel.

I believe SLP has discontinued the flywheel and pp for the lt1 though...I bought both on clearance and noticed they no longer list them on their website.?
Yep, they are ancient history now.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 PM

Clutch net is awsome!!! good post blackdog... I will be trying out a disc from there. I also ran into the flatness problem on the pressure plates. My clutch builder won't grind them because to get them flat he has to grind too far and is afraid they will explode. Ram tells me they are non rebuildable as well.
My old RPS clutch which lasted a lot of years at 12.0's and 5500 rpm launches (368 rwhp 369 tq) was very impressive. It has the ribbed springs which from farther up this post I see that makes it an LT1 not an LT4 plate. I have one of each and my builder said the ribbed one had probably 250lbs more force. don't know if its true, but he sees a LOT of clutches in a day.
Aaron
Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 PM

Jeg's PN for the Ram 900 series Clutch Disc is 798-910.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by BigRedChevy
Jeg's PN for the Ram 900 series Clutch Disc is 798-910.
Thanks, edited.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 AM

anybody know any specs on the lt5 PP (i.e. if it's higher clamp) b/c it seems to be a pull type it could be another option
Old 02-13-2008, 06:15 AM

I though it was the same as LT1.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 AM

i don't know. I couldn't find a whole lot of info on it but it was for the LT5 that was in the ZR1 Corvettes with ~405HP stock.

prolly still the same old valeo (but that LT5 is an interesting motor)
Old 03-04-2008, 01:23 PM

Centerforce came out with a new DFX clutch for our cars awhile ago. They say its rated for 700 ft lbs. I'm probably going to try this out since my mcleod single disk isn't holding up anymore.
http://www.centerforce.com/newsevent...3.300530100213

Also here is what spec said about the pressure plates. Not sure if its true or not but i figured I'de post it.
"As for all plates being the same...this is a misconception. There are a number of manufactures out their that use the standard Valeo plate. SPEC on the other hand uses a similar cover design but greatly modifies the internals. This allows for tremendous increases in clamp load."
Old 03-12-2008, 05:08 PM

I'm building my motor right now (LE1 stuff, probably 350-375 rwhp) and need a new clutch. My old SLP PP and clutch package had about 30k miles and the clutch disc is already cracked around the springs pretty bad.

If I reuse the SLP PP (resurfaced more than likely), what disc should I get? I see a poster above used the Spec Stage 3 disc, but it doesn't say that's sold separately.

Also, I have obtained a SPEC aluminum flywheel that's in great condition. I was told to not use this on a street driver due to previously mentioned reasons (can be too light). Do I reuse my stock even though I've already resurfaced it once in the past? Or do I get it resurfaced again? Or go get a new, stock one?

EDIT: This car will be used as a cruiser and *might* see the track a couple times a year if at all.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:29 PM

I bought just the Spec 3+ disk alone from Thunderracing.com for $300.00 + Ship. Kind of pricey but it is working well.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:54 PM

I used the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch in my Z for about 20k miles and then out of nowhere the disk exploded(on my way home from work of course with about 25 miles left to drive nonetheless). This was about 3-4 years ago I wasnt impressed with that setup very much and even called Centerforce about it but didnt get a response.....Oh well she has a $200 Autozone clutch in it and when its bad I will get them to get me a new one and buy a different Disk probably a Mcleod. Thanks for all this info, I wasnt aware that the LT4 PP was the same PP in every kit offered

Quick Reply: We really need an LT1 sticky on clutch/flywheel options