Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

probably can't help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM

probably can't help

but maybe someone will have an idea. I am removing the transmission on my 95 Z28 M6 transmission. I have it almost out but it is now stuck. The input shaft is not quite clear of the pressure plate but the bellhousing is hitting the firewall keeping me from pulling it back. It is completely loose. the clutch fork is released too. I have a transmission jack and have tried lifting it a dozen different ways but I'm not getting the right combination somehow. I've tried everything and will try again tomorrow. I doubt there is a fix except to git er done ....somehow. I just needed to vent.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 PM

Re: probably can't help

I always remove the transmission from the bell housing to take it out.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 AM

I thought I had read somewhere that that didn't work but if you're doing it I'll give it a try. I wonder if mine being a manual not an automatic will make a difference.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:46 PM

The transmission is out by pulling it loose from the bellhousing. Since I had everything loose it was pretty easy to get to the top two transmission bolts. I don't relish putting it all back in. I'm contemplating pulling the engine, fixing my leak, and reinstalling the full assembly. Best I can tell my intake manifold leak that I fixed is leaking again.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:24 AM

There is no need to pull the engine to reinstall the trans. If you removed your old clutch, be sure and use an alignment tool when you install the new one. After installing the clutch and pressure plate, bolt the bell housing onto the block. Then install the trans. I like to use two six inch long bolts with the heads cut off as a guide when installing the trans. I cut the heads off the bolts and loosely install them in the two lower bolt holes of the bell housing. The bolts will support the front of the trans and guide it as you install it. You don't need to use the bolts, I just think it makes it easier. A couple of long extensions makes it easy bolt up the trans to the bell housing.