Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

does anyone know if the diameter of a 12 bolt axle tube is the same as a 10 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 10:45 AM

does anyone know if the diameter of a 12 bolt axle tube is the same as a 10 bolt?

I'm trying to decide right now between a dana 44 IRS or 12 bolt rear to replace my 10 bolt... either way, I'm going to fabricate/adapt it myself. I was just curious to know if the axle tubes from a 10 bolt were the same diameter as those from a 12 bolt (which would make things alot easier if I went that way). Does anyone know, or can anyone measure their 12 bolt?

Also wondering if that is true, if the 12 bolt wheel bearings would work in the 10 bolt (since I'm assuming the inside diameter is bigger due to the bigger axleshafts)

Can anyone help me out?
Old 10-30-2005, 04:00 PM

Re: does anyone know if the diameter of a 12 bolt axle tube is the same as a 10 bolt?

Strange should be the same as a 10-bolt, but I think the Moser and 9" rears are bigger o.d. Not sure about the wheel bearings though.

The IRS swap is a fun one too.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:11 PM

Re: does anyone know if the diameter of a 12 bolt axle tube is the same as a 10 bolt?

Yeah, I'm still trying to make up my mind. The 12 bolt would be easier to do if I found the axle tubes were the same diameter, just because I could cut the tubes from a ten bolt and have them welded in place on a 12 bolt pumpkin. Then if I could find axle bearings that would work I could swap those and be good to go, just fab up a torque arm mount. I like the idea of IRS, and from what I've read alot of it is a bolt in. But fabbing up spring perches and so forth would be a PITA, especially considering I wouldn't want to do anything 'permanent'

Still figuring things out.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by dhirocz
Yeah, I'm still trying to make up my mind. The 12 bolt would be easier to do if I found the axle tubes were the same diameter, just because I could cut the tubes from a ten bolt and have them welded in place on a 12 bolt pumpkin. Then if I could find axle bearings that would work I could swap those and be good to go, just fab up a torque arm mount. I like the idea of IRS, and from what I've read alot of it is a bolt in. But fabbing up spring perches and so forth would be a PITA, especially considering I wouldn't want to do anything 'permanent'

Still figuring things out.
I've done the IRS swap and I wouldn't call it a bolt-in per say, but it's not like putting a 4-link in. The upper mounts tie almost perfect to the existing panhard braces. I can send you some pictures if you'd like.

Another option would be using the 8.8 center section w/ the 10-bolt tubes welded on. I think a local guy did this and I haven't heard of any problems from it.

Best of luck w/ whatever you go with. Always like it when someone takes the time to fab it up themselves rather than spend twice as much to buy it pre-made.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:54 AM

Stock f-bod 10 bolt axle tubes are 2 3/4" Dia.Moser 12 bolt axle tubes are 3" Dia.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Stock f-bod 10 bolt axle tubes are 2 3/4" Dia.Moser 12 bolt axle tubes are 3" Dia.
Well that sucks, Maybe the stock 12 bolt cases are the same.

mongse_1, sending me some pics of the IRS swap would be very cool. How do you like it compared to the solid rear axle? Only way I'd do it would be with the Dana 44 built up a little bit... get some more street handling and reliability out of it.

dhirocz@yahoo.com
Old 10-31-2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by dhirocz
Well that sucks, Maybe the stock 12 bolt cases are the same.

mongse_1, sending me some pics of the IRS swap would be very cool. How do you like it compared to the solid rear axle? Only way I'd do it would be with the Dana 44 built up a little bit... get some more street handling and reliability out of it.

dhirocz@yahoo.com
The handling is night and day different. It's on my buddy's twin turbo road race car and it's a better ride and takes corners much better than a solid axle ever would. I'll send some pictures this afternoon and some more info.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:29 AM

I used 3# U, and, fabricated my own for the moser 12 (avaiable cheep from Summit racing). I had to add a 3/8 spacer for the rear sway bar to clear the moser rear cover. Looks like it will work. I also had to do some bracket-engineering for mount of the brake lines since I did not want to drill any holes in the pig. It helps to have a mig welder. After you get it in there, check the clearance by jacking up an down with no springs.