Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Strut Tower Brace for Drag Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 10:31 AM

Post Strut Tower Brace for Drag Racing?

Someone said they are useless for Drag racing and in effect it's the same thing as taking your sway bar from underneath your car and putting it on top of your car.

I was thinking that it would help tie up the frame a little, but if it's not going to help me, I'd just assume not buy one!

Jason

------------------
Plates: "Stock 95"
1995 Firebird Formula
O'ring/4bolt 383, GTP Race Ported AFR 210s, Yank TH400, Yank 3800 Stall, Trans Break, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73s, and the usual stuff like Hooker Long Tubes, Holley 58mm TB, Sphon Torque Arm, etc....
Old 08-22-2002, 12:05 PM

Jason,
how ya doin...? That's a greeting since I already know the status from the ohio list.

Anyway....I'd keep it for now at least. It does provide a 'boxing' of the front suspension and helps keep things aligned under stress. We are putting a 10pt (8pt with two added braces) cage in the Twin and we will still keep the STB until the day comes we add bars through the firewall. We've got part of the cage tacked in now and the car is very rigid. Jacked it up under the driver's-side rear SFC mount and nothing budged. Doors opened and closed perfectly, etc. Even with SFCs, this thing used to creak, pop, and flex some.

When we get some, I'll post pics. It's not a super custom job (S&W kit), but we're adding a few things here and there to make the car as safe as it can be.

Are you getting your rollbar put in yet...? I know you expect low 11s on motor. National Trails ain't going to let that one slide.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:37 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dougg01:
Are you getting your rollbar put in yet...? I know you expect low 11s on motor. National Trails ain't going to let that one slide. </font>
You'll have to send me some pics when your all done. I think I'm going to go with a Wolfe 8 point cage and upgrade it to a 10 point next season.

I'm not too woried about National Trails. I ran 11.19s for an entire season with no cage and they never said anything. But on another note, I think I'm going to get my cage on 15th of September, so I can atleast spray my car. I know for a fact Trails wont let me run 9s w/o a cage. That and it would be a little unsafe. Never stoped me before, of course I've never traped in the 140/150s

I think I may go ahead and get like a BMR STB. It's cheap and light and should get the job done.

Jason

------------------
Plates: "Stock 95"
1995 Firebird Formula
O'ring/4bolt 383, GTP Race Ported AFR 210s, Yank TH400, Yank 3800 Stall, Trans Break, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73s, and the usual stuff like Hooker Long Tubes, Holley 58mm TB, Sphon Torque Arm, etc....