Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

doing a burnout with an open differential?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 06:52 PM

doing a burnout with an open differential?

i plan on taking my camaro to the track a couple times this summer and im just wondering if its possible to do a 2 wheel burnout with an open differential? ill be getting a line lock because my its a manual.

do you think that if i had a line lock,locked the front wheels and popped the clutch in the water box it would spin both wheels? id consider a posi but looks like a used one goes for about $150 and thats quite a bit of money that could be used towards other things
Old 11-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Re: doing a burnout with an open differential?

nope...

you will only have a 1 wheel burnout.

Its worth the money. May want to consider getting a used rear axle of a z28, they go for like $150-$300, and you can get better gears and lsd put in pretty easily, its a direct swap.

by the way if you have stree tires don't touch the water box, drive around it, back up a little don't go in it, just give it a spin or two to clean off the tire, and give it a little heat.

btw if you haven't joined check out www.firebirdv6.com they can give more drag racing tips and tons of tech info that is a little more v6 specific
Old 11-16-2004, 11:55 PM

sorry i shouldve given a discription of my car:

1984 Camaro z28 LG4 so it doesnt have a v6 and it already has a z28 axle, but no posi

by the time i hit the track next summer ill have a better cam, headers, new intake and carb, and possibly a nitrous set up but not 100% sure on nitrous

the way it sits right now if i pop the clutch at a decent RPM it spins both theback tires for about 2 feet and then the passenger side takes over and spins about another 10 or 12 feet

i dont know if ill be running street tires then or not, it depends on if i can get ahold of a couple slicks for cheap
Old 11-17-2004, 04:37 PM

Yes you can, I have done it with my old '84 L69 that did not have posi, but had 3.73 gears. The trick to it is, make sure you are lined up straight and both tires have the same amount of traction. The air pressure on both tires should be the same, as well as both tires should be evenly wet from the burnout box. Back up into it, do not drive through it. Rev the engine to a high rpm, what you feel confortable with, and dump the clutch while quickly applying the brakes. If you rolled back into the burnout box straight and came out of it straight, both tires should light up. This will even out the preload on both axles. If you turned just a hair, it will not work and you'll do a peg legger burnout.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:57 PM

I know when I had open differential while doing donuts and turning left was the only time I could get the car to spin both wheels.. .I think maybe in a straight line after the trans shifted to 2nd gear it would spin both, but mine's an auto. If you just look around on local boards, you'll find some good deals. I have some great friends back home that sold me '91 Z28 rear end w/ 3.23's and disc brakes, a driveshaft, LCA's, Torque arm, and all the needed brake lines for $100 delivered via my buddy's pickup. oh, and a sway bar too!
Old 11-18-2004, 08:46 PM

thanks for the help!

like i said ill be getting a line lock, probably one of the higher end ones that comes with braided lines and everything, that way i wont have to worry about dumping the clutch and then stepping on the brakes right away...

1 question.. what do you mean by backing up into the water box? like do you mean driving through it completely then backing up into it to get straight? because at the track i plan to go to there isnt enough room between the water box and the wall to drive around it, well i could but i would get at least 1 tire wet in the process..

thanks i will look through the local boards to see if i can find any good deals..

1 more question... if i had a choice between getting a posi and getting a set of slicks, which would be better? i dont think ill be going to the track more than 3 or 4 times this summer, so im not sure if the slicks would be a wise investment, and on the other hand, i dont need a posi for street use, except for when i need to show off to my friends, its a toss up, they are both about the same price, if i got slicks i would only need 1 more stock style rim to mount the slicks on, so i wouldnt need to buy rims with them
Old 12-01-2004, 08:25 PM

get the posi rear end... its better for driving on snow than the open diff... lots will debate this issue but honestly... if you've got good tires on the back, having posi is a plus side in the snow. and.. if the police in your area arent too overpopulated, every time it rains you get to find an empty parking lot and have ****load of fun!!! also, slicks wont do anything w/ an open diff. just a waste of money, get the posi, and when ur street tires are almost bald (and they will be after a month or two), just use 'em for the track, thats what i do!!

i think as far as backing up into the water box, its to avoid the front tires from getting wet and if the water box is on a crease in the pavement like my old local drag strip, you'll feel the tires drop into the box and be centered in the water for the burnout rather than driving slightly over it. continue the burnout while steering a few feet out of the box or you'll leave water on ur tires and well.... how you gonna get traction w/ wet tires?!!

HAVE FUN!

ps: what kinda car are you taking racing?