Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

BFG's? or is time to replace the Nitto's with ET Streets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:24 AM

BFG's? or is time to replace the Nitto's with ET Streets?

As I mentioned in my other post.. the Nitto's are getting to the point where track conditions must be 100% perfect for them to hook. Well, that's too much of a shot in the dark for me to be happy :/

Can anyone make any suggestions from experience as to what route I should take?

I'll most likely be running a 16" tire as I don't have the funds to buy a 15" wheel right this second. So it's either ET Streets or BFG DR's. As my sig says I'm running 12.3's on a 1.69 (usually 1.72 or so) 60' times. Once track prep kinda fades, so do my times :/

Will ET Streets hurt my top end (read MPH) much if at all? I'm already running my Nitto's at 16psi to get them to hook. Will BFG's make enough of a difference? I don't wanna go out, hook better, and then not make a difference or even lose ET b/c I'm running a better tire.

I have a track rental coming up where I'll be driving about 160 miles and I dont' want to waste my time spinning all day
Old 12-30-2003, 08:41 AM

Oh, and do you need to run tubes in 16" ET Streets?
Old 12-30-2003, 11:35 AM

Arrow

Id go Et streets all the way...o and start saving for the new rear
Old 12-30-2003, 01:08 PM

If you're already cutting 1.69 and low 1.7x short times on nitto's, I think you'd be fine to go with BFG drag radials. I've heard of many guys cutting low 1.6 and 1.5 60's with them. I, personally, love the way they hook at the track. I cut a spinning 1.71 with a blown posi in a bolt-on car on my BFG's. However, ET Streets would consistantly hook a lot better I'm sure, but will cost you some MPH on the big end.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Et Streets really help when track prep is less than perfect. They may skuff off a mph but the consistency will be much better.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by tnthub
Et Streets really help when track prep is less than perfect. They may skuff off a mph but the consistency will be much better.
Ditto. And I ran my old 26x11.5x16 ET Streets without tubes. No problems trapping 125+.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:16 AM

ET Streets

How many passes approx. on the ET Streets before the rear gives w/300+rwhp? Just curious.

I've had 2 sets of BFGs, and haven't hooked worth crap with them yet in a 6-speed w/line lock. Best yet was in the 1.9 range. What gives?
Old 01-01-2004, 02:48 PM

Have you thought about some 26x10.5 instead of the 26x11.5 e.t. streets. Most people mph better with them.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:48 PM

if you go with ET streets, its quite possible you could hook with more PSI.....you may pick up on the big end!
Old 01-02-2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by blksunshine
Have you thought about some 26x10.5 instead of the 26x11.5 e.t. streets. Most people mph better with them.
That's actually what I was planning on buying

MBon.. you have a good point
Old 01-02-2004, 07:41 PM

On the track the ET Steets or ET Drags are the way to go. However if you are planning to use them as everyday sreet tires be aware that they are EXTREMELY dangerous on a wet roadway as they have no provision for channeling water and will hydroplane a very low speeds. On the Power Tour last year a car was totalled because of using ETs in the rain. Also, don't expect but about 2000 miles before they are used up and need to be replaced. They are great tires but they are a strip tire or a weekend tire at the most. Nitto DRs do not have the bite of drag slicks but are a much better traction tire than a standard tire. They are safe on the street and I get about 15,000 miles out of a set on my car. If you can only afford one set of tires then go with the Nittos unless your car is a drag car only.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Gold Z
On the track the ET Steets or ET Drags are the way to go. However if you are planning to use them as everyday sreet tires be aware that they are EXTREMELY dangerous on a wet roadway as they have no provision for channeling water and will hydroplane a very low speeds. On the Power Tour last year a car was totalled because of using ETs in the rain. Also, don't expect but about 2000 miles before they are used up and need to be replaced. They are great tires but they are a strip tire or a weekend tire at the most. Nitto DRs do not have the bite of drag slicks but are a much better traction tire than a standard tire. They are safe on the street and I get about 15,000 miles out of a set on my car. If you can only afford one set of tires then go with the Nittos unless your car is a drag car only.
How about the BFG drag radials? Where do they fit into all of this? Halfway between E.T. Streets and Nittos?
Old 01-04-2004, 04:39 PM

I've ran all 3...BFG drag radials, Nitto drag radials, and ET Streets.

BFG=OK hook. Don't last worth a crap
Nitto=Better hook. Last for longer than the BFGs
ET Streets=Best hook! Last longer than BFGs, but not as long as Nittos

1.67 60 ft. with stock suspension and ET Streets...Don't EVER think about driving in the rain with them...I run without tubes.

Frank
Old 01-04-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by 12SCNDZ
I've ran all 3...BFG drag radials, Nitto drag radials, and ET Streets.

BFG=OK hook. Don't last worth a crap
Nitto=Better hook. Last for longer than the BFGs
ET Streets=Best hook! Last longer than BFGs, but not as long as Nittos

1.67 60 ft. with stock suspension and ET Streets...Don't EVER think about driving in the rain with them...I run without tubes.

Frank
Come on. This is the opposite of what countless people on this board have said over the years. Everyone else says Nittos last the longest and hook the worst. Then BFGs hook better but last not as long. Then e.t. streets hook better yet and last the shortest. That makes logical sense. How can a tire that lasts longer hook better? Life is always a trade off.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Steve Y
Come on. This is the opposite of what countless people on this board have said over the years. Everyone else says Nittos last the longest and hook the worst. Then BFGs hook better but last not as long. Then e.t. streets hook better yet and last the shortest. That makes logical sense. How can a tire that lasts longer hook better? Life is always a trade off.
I was wondering about your reply until I seen in your sig that you own a Mustang...That explains alot. How would you know what hooks if you can't muster enough HP to spin them?

What I stated was from my own experiences...I've used all 3. When the engine was still stock, the BFGs could only go a 2.1 60 ft. With no ther mods, except the Nittos, it went a 1.90. The ET Streets went a 1.73...All on a stock suspension. My ET Streets lasted atleast as long as my BFGs. The nittos lasted way longer than I exepected. As a matter of fact, I still have them on my factory rims with 50% tread. I went through 2 sets of BFGs in a years time. I'll never own another set of BFG drag radials...Not even if I buy a Mustang that doesn't need them.

Frank

Quick Reply: BFG's? or is time to replace the Nitto's with ET Streets?