Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

95 Trans Am vs. 98 Trans Am-both modded

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 AM

Roll racing is for weinies and 03/04 Cobra's

I would play it safe and take to the track just as few others have mentioned. As for the race I would say that you should have the upper hand. Cam only 10 second LS1 cars are definately out there as shown above but they are a little more rare than it seems. I tend to look at those cars the same way that I look at Shon Herron's car. Definately not something that you just throw in and "Viola!" a 10 second car.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:01 PM

Im only roll racing because i'd like to have a still working stock 10bolt when i finish racing, and he feels the same way.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346770
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926113

Check out these BOLT ON ONLY #s:
The top one on the list is the LS1 BOLT ON RECORD HOLDER.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273788

The LS1 heads are VERY VERY VERY good from the factory. As you can see it doesn't even take a cam to get to the LOW 11s and in one dudes case (the bolt on record holder) 10s. So add a cam into that list and yeah.

LS1 as much as I hate to say it is FAR superior to the LT1. But, I will NEVER trade up. I am die-hard LT1. But I am not ignorant to their power.
I'd say those lightweight purpose built cars are polar opposites of these 2 cars.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by tomcowle
I'd say those lightweight purpose built cars are polar opposites of these 2 cars.

precisely
Old 06-23-2008, 01:19 PM

If hes an m6 and your an a4 why wouldnt want to race from stop. You have a decent stall, do a heads up race from a stop. He is a thousand times more likely to break something in the rear than you.

Next, LS cam only motors have gone realy fast. They can make up to 420, 435rwhp, beware he may have just as much power as you. He may also have spray which wouldnt be good for you. Dont take this as a in the bag win. It may not be.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Administrator

The launch shock is what breaks rears. If you launch easy and then get on it you will likely have more than a few passes in the rear if it is in decent condition. I got over 400 passes out of mine, rebuilt it and got another 400 before switching to the 12 bolt.

Strokers usually have a lot of torque and I would almost be more concerned with spinning the tranny if you actually can hook up.

I know most of the time evrything goes right and people have fun and then go home, but I have seen far too many acciednets from flat tires to animals crossing the street to ever street race again, not to mention the huge hit on insurance if you get caught. I suspect the added preiums may even be more expensive than that the rear you are concerned about breaking...

Also a driveshaft loop is a real good thing if you don't already have one. There is nothing like seeing a driveshaft come through the floorboards to get the adrenaline flowing. Thanks to me, even street cars at my track have to have a blanket or shield if they have been modified. Not that the rule was y idea but after my tranny exploded during a burnout a few years back the track higher-ups instituted the rule.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by tomcowle
Ok, isn't that what you did basically? I'm not raggin on you, but you have a purposeful bolt on only setup to try to go as fast as you can. Am I right?

Now you guys who just discounted those time show me an LT1 ANY LT1 with the same times with similar mods.

Show me one.

You can't. I love my LT1, but I'm not deluded. Some of you are.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Ok, isn't that what you did basically? I'm not raggin on you, but you have a purposeful bolt on only setup to try to go as fast as you can. Am I right?

Now you guys who just discounted those time show me an LT1 ANY LT1 with the same times with similar mods.

Show me one.

You can't. I love my LT1, but I'm not deluded. Some of you are.
Nope my car was never built for that purpose it just happens to fit. I still drive my car on the street, my car runs on radials on all 4 corners and is not gutted to the core. Heck I run a convertor that was built in the mid 1970's that I bought off E-bay All this equals hardly built for the job at hand.

I've stated this before if somebody really went after the "LT1 bolt-on only" deal they could run 11.30's or better, granted its not as fast as the LS1 dilly but considering whats there for a LT1 cylinder head that would be flying.

Nobody is kidding anybody that an LT1 in any where near factory form can run with the equally built LSx , however the LT1 powered car in question should be able to handle this ls1, not one of the ones listed in the fastest bolt-on LS1 list
Old 06-23-2008, 11:27 PM

So are most of us in agreement that i should pull this win off? I really do not wanna get my *** handed to me in front of about 70+ people ya know?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:30 PM

More than likely You'll win by a lot, but there's a chance that that's one hell of a cam. That's all I was saying.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 PM

yes ur right it could be. Before we thought about racing he was telling me about he'd like to get a smaller cam, i guess to be more streetable so... that might be a red flag, but we'll see i guess. I appreciate the inputs.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:59 PM

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2961519 -- heres mine for a detailed list of mods.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:34 AM

Just make sure you get rid of the extra crap in your car (spare tire, floor mats, jack assembly, CD collection and etc.) lighter weight is your friend.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Do you know anything about this guys driving ability?
If hes complaining that the cam is too big, he has 4.10's, and knows how to dirve you may be in trouble.
Like i said before, a cammed ls1 can be a very fast car. Chances are you ll win easy, but you never know.
I would try to get him to go from a stop. Let you a4 and stall do their job off the line.

What kind of tires will both of you be running?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:05 AM

If you are going from a roll, spend a little time with a gear ratio / RPM program. First figure out where in the RPM range your car will be at what RPM based on your tranny and rear gear ratio. Then figure out the same info for his car (manual with 4.10 gears). Then pick a speed that is the best for you. 30 MPH may be slow enough for your car to kick-down to first. Immediately your stall lets the engine rev to what may be higher than your best torque output (bad for you) and then it will shift. His car might be in its sweet spot and he could put a couple of lengths on you and getting that back will be difficult. Also figure that a lot of people do bad thigs when they are behind in a race. Over-revving a 6-speed trying to make up ground (since they are convinced higher is better) is a common theme.

Put the odds in your favor and you have a better than even chance. He can always miss a gear or other. I think you have the advantage at the strip since your converter helps a lot with torque down low. Again getting out front seems to be a key factor when running people who may seldom actually "race" their car.

Have fun but BE SAFE ....

Later ... Larry S.

Quick Reply: 95 Trans Am vs. 98 Trans Am-both modded