Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

New Data Logs...Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM

Re: New Data Logs...Please Help!

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I'm not a tuner, at least not with the LT1 PCM. I switched to an aftermarket system 16 years ago. I can look at the timing in the data logs to see if it appears to be unusual.

Are the LT1 heads stock or ported?
Thanks Fred, and the heads are stock sir.....
Old 04-12-2016, 05:04 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sd7ibz24ww...moke2.mp4?dl=0
Old 04-12-2016, 07:54 PM

Guys, i know this is probably a dumb question to most of you but i am fairly new to the in depth stuff of the LT1 motor. First question, on an LT1 cylinder head, how many different types of seals are there? I know i have heard of valve stem seals, valve seals etc. lol...Are these all the same thing or are there several different seals on a valve?

Second question, For the seal or seal(s) that are in a cylinder head of the LT1, what type of material are they made of? Are they a rubber, Teflon etc? The reason i am asking is due to the fact of the motor that is currently in my 95 TA came from a 1996 Corvette which is a 4 bolt main LT4. The car had been burnt before and i need to know if the fire/heat from the fire would have damaged any seals etc. in the heads. I had the springs replaced as well as supposedly the valve seals by a garage when i was building my motor. I am burning oil somehow but i have good cylinder compression and no visible oil leaks, good steady idle and good water temp. I am really stumped on this and have several different people with mechanical experience look at it in person and no one can tell me why it is smoking.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:50 PM

Ok everyone, i know i am going to get a lot of crap for posting this but i found my problem or at least why im smoking and dripping a little liquid out the tail pipes...Are you ready....Keep in mind this was my first ever build and i made sure i read and re read every single instruction even way before i ever turned the first bolt and then as i assembled....i made a big mistake during assembly due to following the advice of my father who was trying to help and actually worked for GM in Detroit for 19 years on the assembly line way before i was ever thought of.....I FORGOT TO SEAL MY HEAD BOLTS ..... i remember asking him what his opinion was and he said there was no need for it lol. Keep in mind that this was the very first ever lt1 that he ever seen, he hasnt worked for GM since the late 60's. Anyways, now that i have found the error, will it be ok to remove 1 head bolt at a time in torque sequence, apply sealer and molly and re torque?
Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 PM

OK, after replacing all gaskets and using new ARP head bolts i have taken care of the coolant seep from not sealing my head bolts first time around...i ran another log today and here is what i have so far....car runs and idles great. temp and oil pressure are perfect. if i hold the throttle at 1500 steady i will start getting random backfire out my tail pipe and im still smelling a very rich exhaust with some smoke...can someone please take a look at this newest data log...

lt1/lt4 from 1996 corvette
lt4 hot cam
30# injectors
no cats
long tube headers
Attached Files