Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Idle surging

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 04:34 PM

Re: Idle surging

I don't mean to be a pest but have you guys been able to figure out what's going on with my car ? I truly appreciate your time and any advice you may have. Today while driving around the car started to sputter ( for lacknof a better term ) the motor would cut out them come right back. I'd say like a misfire but bigger. I have an old ezlink scanner that I carry in the car. So I pulled over and checked for codes . It says code 42 ICM shorted or grounded. I changed the ICM maybe a month ago. I looked it up and from what I've read that's a sign of the Opti going bad. Is that where all this is headed? I called msd on friday. They want me to pull the opti and send it to them where they say it will take 2 weeks for them to fix/or replace. That is unacceptable. If you count the delivery time both ways that's 4 weeks or a month where I come from. What am I supposed to do with out a CSR for a friggen month. I told them that if all the codes show it being the opti then why can't they just give me a new one after I mail the garbage one. Or just a full refund. Has. Anyone else outhere had to deal with Msd's warranty department before. This is unacceptable to me. I am atna loss as to what tondo..
Old 02-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

I took this a step further and repeated the intermittent low res pulse test, this time while data-logging. At one instance, my pcm reported all kinds of weird and impossible readings including one extra DTC. For example, the engine run time changed from 295 to 7424 seconds, bank2 ST fuel trim went to 2, both injector pulse widths went to numbers in the 500's, vehicle speed went from 20 to 90, etc, etc... All the readings returned to normal on the next scan frame. So I think I am fairly safe in saying that if the low res pulse from the Optispark distributor is erratic because of a faulty distributor or cable, it will cause bizarre readings from the pcm, like you are seeing at times.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Did you keep your old Opti?