Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Upgraded HU & Speakers in 2001 WS6 -> Getting WAY less bass. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Upgraded HU & Speakers in 2001 WS6 -> Getting WAY less bass. Any ideas?

Replaced the HU with a great JVC, used a wiring harness adapter. No cutting/splicing into the OEM harness.

Replaced the front door speakers with 6 3/4 2-way JL Audios, used a wiring harness adapter. No cutting/splicing. Opted away from going with component speakers.

Replaced the rear seat speakers with 6 3/4 2-way Kickers. Cut the OEM harness off. Spliced into the tan/white on the driver's side for +/- and into the red/tan on the passenger side for the +/-.

Didn't expect much bass out of the front doors, given there never was much to begin with, however I'm basically getting no bass out of the rear seat speakers, when before the replacement the Monsoon OEM speakers were putting out pretty decent stuff for being stock.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping to not have to get an after market amp, and realistically don't get why I wouldn't be getting at least as much bass as I did with the OEM speakers.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Re: Upgraded HU & Speakers in 2001 WS6 -> Getting WAY less bass. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by lonewulf
Replaced the HU with a great JVC, used a wiring harness adapter. No cutting/splicing into the OEM harness.

Replaced the front door speakers with 6 3/4 2-way JL Audios, used a wiring harness adapter. No cutting/splicing. Opted away from going with component speakers.

Replaced the rear seat speakers with 6 3/4 2-way Kickers. Cut the OEM harness off. Spliced into the tan/white on the driver's side for +/- and into the red/tan on the passenger side for the +/-.

Didn't expect much bass out of the front doors, given there never was much to begin with, however I'm basically getting no bass out of the rear seat speakers, when before the replacement the Monsoon OEM speakers were putting out pretty decent stuff for being stock.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping to not have to get an after market amp, and realistically don't get why I wouldn't be getting at least as much bass as I did with the OEM speakers.
not sure with JVC, but my pioneer has a setting that does not output base to any of the speakers and only send it out through the Pre-outs for the subs.

IE it is only sending bass to the subs and not to the 4 regular speakers. Wonder if your JVC has a similar setting and if it is on.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 PM

I had a Bose System, but I thought the Moonsoon was similar where the speakers were driven by separate amps. The key to this is that these amps are designed for 1/2 ohm speakers, which causes issues like this when you install standard 4 ohm speakers and use the factory wiring.

If the above is correct: Either you'll need to find the amp and splice into the wiring before, or you can always just run new speaker wiring from the new JVC Head-Unit
Old 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I have found out that the speakers I went with are not the greatest on earth for bass in the first place. This is likely just my inexperience. I have exchanged the 2-way 6 3/4 speakers I bought for a pair of shallow mount subwoofers that will fit.

That does make more sense now that I think about it, since the OEM speakers are dual coil subs.

Since the rear seat speaker wiring only carries a low frequency bass signal if you are going to replace the OEM speakers then you can only put small subs that will fit there if you don't want to do any of the rewiring mentioned and/or add true subs & and an aftermarket amp.

I plan to install the new subs first to see what kind of output I get and then go from there if it still isn't up to par.

Originally Posted by 96 Z 28
The key to this is that these amps are designed for 1/2 ohm speakers, which causes issues like this when you install standard 4 ohm speakers and use the factory wiring
Every OEM speaker that I took out lists 4ohm on the back...?