Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Rear Monsoon speakers, whats the deal with 4 wires per speaker? Looking to replace

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 04:11 PM

Question Rear Monsoon speakers, whats the deal with 4 wires per speaker? Looking to replace

I have a 99 TA with the Monsoon 10 speaker setup. Recently my rear passenger speaker in the pilar started vibrating bad. I think the cone in the middle is coming loose or theres a tear somewhere. Anyways, I bought some new Sony Xplode 220w 6.5" speakers. When I went to put them in I noticed that the stock speakers take 4 wires, while my new speakers only take 2 wires.

My question is, are the Sony's better than the stock Monsoon speakers? Should I just super glue whatever is wrong with the old speaker or replace it with the new speaker? Would the sony's be a downgrade? Any if I were to use the new sony's, should I just splice the two negatives and two positives to hook up to them?

Thanks for the help
Old 10-16-2004, 04:56 PM

Re: Rear Monsoon speakers, whats the deal with 4 wires per speaker? Looking to replace

The sail panel speakers are the factory subwoofers (HAHAHA yeah right). They have dual voice coils. That is why there are 4 wires.

Do NOT splice the wires together. Just use one set on each side of the car and leave the other set alone. Since you are replacing the factory subs there will be NO highs or mids coming from your new speakers.

To keep from blowing anymore of the speakers you need to do 2 things. Ease up on the volume control and back off the bass controls on the EQ. The Monsoon system is a total POS. The HU distorts badly at low levels and the higher you turn it up the worse the distortion gets. To make matters even worse the amp will be amplifying that distortion. This is why the factory speakers are blowing all the time.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:07 PM

Re: Rear Monsoon speakers, whats the deal with 4 wires per speaker? Looking to replace

I want to make sure I get this right. So the four wires are:
tan
red
green
blue/black

Just trying to clear this up. Just use the tan and red(if they are the + & -) set on both sides? Or use tan and red on passenger side and green and blue on driver side?

Why would I not want to splice the four together to get two wires? What happens to all the power that goes into the two I don't use? Why would they make 4?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2004, 05:53 PM

I forget the color code of the wires. They should already be in sets of 2. Take one set and connect it to your new speakers. To determine which is + and which is - look at the connections on the factory speakers. The connector should have the wires labeled A and B. B is the + wire. It doesn't matter which set you use.

Why would you not want to splice the wires together?
Because you can't do that without damaging the amp.

What happens to the power?
Nothing since there isn't a speaker connected.

Why is there 4 wires?
The subs have dual 4ohm voice coils. That means you need 4 wires.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:57 PM

One last question...I almost got it...

When I asked what happens to the power of the wires you don't hook up you said nothing. So does that mean the power is going to waste? That whole section of the amp isn't being used? Or does the amp then put more power into the other two wires? I just want to make sure I'm using all the power the amp is putting out.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:01 PM

The power going to that set of wires isn't used at all. It doesn't get transferred to the other speakers.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:08 PM

so wouldn't it be a waste of resources if I get speakers that don't use all 4 wires? Should I return my current sony's and get speakers that work like the stock monsoon speakers????
Old 10-16-2004, 06:17 PM

I've never seen an after-market 6-1/2" speaker with dual voice coils before. The Monsoon amp, along with the speakers and HU, are all garbage. The HU distorts badly. The amp distorts even more. That's why the factory speakers are blowing all the time.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:28 PM

The reason you cant use all 4 wires is because of the dual voice coils. The only way to describe it is to think of it as 4 speakers. (2 speakers with 2 voice coils each). Your factory amp doesnt have the capability to run in bridged mode(splicing the wires together). It WILL blow.