Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

How To: Trans Am Door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:07 PM

How To: Trans Am Door Panel Removal

I thought I would post this as future reference for those of you that are into DIY stereo installation.

Here is a photo along with instructions on how to remove the door trim panels in a '99 Trans Am.

1) Remove 1 screw to remove panel. You might be able to get the door trim panel off without removing this piece but I've always removed it when I take the panels off.

2) Lift up on the control panel to pop it out. Unplug the 3 wiring harnesses going to the buttons.

3 & 4) Remove screw and pry off the lock stem. Pull the panel out just a little so you can remove the courtesy lamp. Once the lamp is unplugged remove the panel.

5) Remove the large phillips head screw behind the panel you just removed.

6,7 & 8) Remove the 3 other large phillips head screws used to hold the door panel in place. The screw at location #8 is down inside the map pocket.

Now lift up and toward you to remove the trim panel. Be sure to un-plug the factory tweeter.

There are molded hooks on the back of the trim panel. They are used to hang the trim panel from holes that are in the door. One of these hooks is right next to the mid-woofer. Use caution here so that you don't poke a hole in your new speakers when you go to put the trim panel back on again.

For those of you that will be installing new speakers you might want to do what I have done. I tried using the factory baffles in the doors to mount the Infinity Reference Series components I used to have. The factory baffles made the speakers stick out too far. On loud bass hits the cone was slamming into the back of the door's trim panel. This caused the cone to separate from the voice coil in one of my mid-woofers. My solution was to make my own baffles that would not only solve my clearance issue but also better couple the speaker to the door for improved mid-bass performance. My baffles are made of 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood. One piece is the same shape as the factory baffle and uses the 3 factory screws to fasten to the door. I added a 4th screw to make the door/baffle assembly more rigid. The other piece is the ring that the speaker gets monted to. Once they are glued together I use an XTC foam baffle to make drip guards to keep the speakers dry. To prevent any rattles between the baffles and door I go around the edge of each baffle with a bead of silicone caulk. Here are a couple of photos of what they look like.

Last edited by LS1 RULZ; 02-19-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:58 PM

Re: How To: Trans Am Door Panel Removal

I have a 2001 z28 camaro I need instructions on door panel removal
Old 03-16-2006, 04:58 PM

The doors in your Camaro are pretty much the same.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by LS1 RULZ
I tried using the factory baffles in the doors to mount the Infinity Reference Series components I used to have. The factory baffles made the speakers stick out too far. On loud bass hits the cone was slamming into the back of the door's trim panel.
Couldn't a person just take the factory baffles off, and saw off 1/4 inch from the face, and be OK?
I've been thinking that's how I'll handle the problem, but I haven't done the cutting yet.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lower
Couldn't a person just take the factory baffles off, and saw off 1/4 inch from the face, and be OK?
I've been thinking that's how I'll handle the problem, but I haven't done the cutting yet.
Go ahead and try. I think you'll find that making a baffle out of plywood is MUCH easier to do and in the end looks WAY better.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:05 AM

Wow that looks really good. Where did you get the foam in the back of the speaker as a drip guard? I don't know what "XTC" is.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:19 AM

crutchfield.com has them they are called speaker baffles
Old 03-17-2006, 10:36 AM

I get mine from Parts Express since they're located near me.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by chapman_justine
I have a 2001 z28 camaro I need instructions on door panel removal
here is the PDF its for 1997-UP Camaro's

https://secure.scosche-cars.com/ency...icle_id=CT0073