Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Advice for a rookie

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:28 AM

Advice for a rookie

Looking for some basic advice/recommendations for an entry level driver as to what year Camaro to buy as a dedicated (no street use) road-racer. I don't intend to do this every weekend, nor want to drop tons of money chasing the right spring rate/shock, etc. Just interested in having fun. Not trying to be cheap, but I've dropped small fortunes before on "hobbies".

I presently own a 96 Corvette LT1 which I have raced (HPDE) at Cresson, TX and a 2000 V-6 Camaro; both cars are bone-stock. The Corvette is just too nice to flog on the track and risk extensive damage. The Camaro was recently bought for a kid in college (I had a '69 when I was in school). I am impressed with the handling of this 2000 Camaro and made me think it would be a good substitute for the Corvette.

I suppose that without too much money in an older Camaro, I could "drive it like I stole it...". And, to keep things simple & reliable, convert to a carb instead of rewiring a newer engine/computer to fit an older body.

I am aware of the CamaroMustangChallenge, and think a late 80's or early 90's would be preferable, but from prior racing experience (...way back), I also know that some good racers are looking to upgrade to a new car....and for what I want, buying someone's already prepared older car would be a time & money saver...even though I would still make minor mods for my experience level.

Feel free to comment on any or all of these thoughts...

Thanks..!
Old 11-25-2006, 03:11 PM

i got a 94 Z28 to do the same thing. except i want to drive it on the street a little bit.

you can find these cars for pretty cheap, and they have tons of support. everyone makes something for the LT1 engine. and even though it's still a live axle, pushrod engine beast, there is some newer technology in them, haha, at least they're aerodynamic!

edit: check out what user rmackintosh did to his camaro....

http://www.vilipend.com/~frrax/view_...me=rmackintosh

Last edited by billy_ocean; 11-25-2006 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add link
Old 11-25-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by DMGroh
....and for what I want, buying someone's already prepared older car would be a time & money saver...even though I would still make minor mods for my experience level.
I'm not clear on if you're planning on doing HPDE's or fender to fender racing but buying a previously prepared car is the way to go. If your budget allows for it I would go for a 4th gen, 1993 and up, but the 3rd gens can be fun too. I autocross and do HPDE's with my 94 Trans Am and have a great time with it without spending too much on mods.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:18 AM

I think we need to talk ...

Originally Posted by DMGroh
I presently own a 96 Corvette LT1 which I have raced (HPDE) at Cresson, TX

<snip>

I am aware of the CamaroMustangChallenge
If you have seen CMC races at MSR-C you have probably seen my #9 Firebird and my partner's #70 Z28. We built and sold the #8 Z28 early last year. I live 15 minutes from MSR-C, so I'm a local ...

We currently have a '94 Formula or a '96 Z28 that are ready to be built for track use to the specs of what the owner wants.

My observations of buying a pre-built track car ... you are buying some else's headaches. The truly budget series racers, like in CMC, A-sedan, spec Miata, spec RX7, etc. have cars they have built and race as a hobby. By and large, they don't have the funding to abandon an existing platform to begin campaigning a new car.

The reasons for sale are typically ran out money to go racing, family is getting too large to support a racing habit or there is a problem with the car that needs attention.

I have 2 friends who drove to California and bought CMC cars. And when they returned and began trying to campaign the cars, there were nagging problems that required some serious attention. Most of the attention was trying to figure out what the other owner was thinking when he/she used part A instead of component B.

One car, the owner has decided to buy a new rolling chassis, we are gonna install a new cage and the move everything over to the platform.

We can build you a car to your spec and spend as much or as little as you'd like.

Last edited by mitchntx; 11-26-2006 at 05:19 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-30-2006, 03:58 PM

Send me a PM with your email. I am also in the DFW area and have a car that might interest you.