Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Modifying Stock 4351/2 Housings (pu12e, Bawls, Wraith, other guru's inside please)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 11:07 AM

Modifying Stock 4351/2 Housings (pu12e, Bawls, Wraith, other guru's inside please)

I recently blowed one of my Eurolite bulbs in my stock housing, and got to thinking a little bit. If I were to put any aftermarket setup on right now, it would be the Hella FF75 setup. But, I am gonna try to to go HID soon, so I am holding off on that. I got to thinking of something to maybe help out the stock housing a little bit.

I was thinking of putting some heat shield tape (see note) on the bottom inside of the housings...I have taken a couple of pics...See PICTURE 1 here...that's just so you see what I am talking about...the bottom is clear now, where as the top is reflective...see PICTURE 2 as well...(sorry, no remote linking on this free site...) That's just a pic of the bottom side with a bulb in it, you can see the bulb through it, and kind of see it's reflection in the top inside of the housing...

I was wondering if I were to put the reflective stuff on the inside there, that I would have more light exiting or whatever, but, WOULD it cause a bad beam pattern? or will I just have to try it and see? Does this seem like a good idea, at least in theory? I was just wanting to see what other options I could make happen with these housings and then just upgrade everything else all at once...(FF75's, HID's, etc.) I do plan on running some 100W Showoff Arctic Purple Bulbs with my setup now along with a 100W relay kit tied in the wiring...just FYI.

Note: Heat shield tape is available at the parts store - super sticky - and also aluminum which means it is reflective. It sticks good on exhaust components, so I don't see why here would be any problem.

Also, take a look at that blown bulb on there...ever see one develop a tumor before? Looked pretty weird to me. That's on the top side of the bulb (as the way it was siliconed in the housing.)

Sorry so long, thanks for taking the time to read!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:14 AM

There is already a semi-reflective coating on the inside, so it wouldn't be worth it.

Your best gains are going to be seen by the Harness kit and the upgrade to TRUE 100w.

MAKE SURE... that the Nokya ones you get are the 100w 9005's
As far as I know the 9006's are 80w. Unfortunately the 9006 say 80w=100w on the package, which basically means in their opinion, their 80w performs LIKE a 100w.

You should get great output/beam pattern and the Nokya's wont blow like the Eurolites.
Old 12-17-2002, 11:57 AM

Well the top inside is reflective, but the bottom is basically clear...but I suppose the 100W and relay kit would be the most determinate factors...I will have to make note of the 9005 - 9006, and be sure and ask about the wattage when I order...
Old 12-18-2002, 07:21 AM

Also, Bawls, if you see this thread...did you upgrade your whole harness or just put a 100W relay kit in it? I need more info on that end of the install...
Old 12-18-2002, 08:44 AM

I upgraded the wiring of the low beams only so far.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Bawls
I upgraded the wiring of the low beams only so far.
So you put a complete new harness in it, or just added a relay kit to your existing harness?
Old 12-19-2002, 01:04 PM

stock housings

this is not meant as a dig on you guys so just read it and see if it makes sense to you...

the stock Camaro housings used from 93-97 are junk. thats it, plain and simple. you can swap bulbs to your hearts content but the fact remains that the all-glass housings available for these cars are about worthless in their reflective value. i mean come on, they are made up of a glass housing painted silver inside!

there are other, much better solutions out there, but it all depends on what you are willing to spend.

the most affordable option in my opinion is to mount up some high quality driving lights in place of the stock fog lights. the hella ff50 and ff75 are EXCELLENT lights for the $ and would greatly improve visability.

the next option is to upgrade the fog lights with even higher end driving lights. PIAA or CATZ are an option but other than finding a style you like better, you will be hardpressed to out-perform the lighting of the hellas.

now, we get into the higher $ options. here you are looking at stripping out the stock headlights and mounting equip and fabricating your own setup. Brent 94Z's setup is one of the most well-known. i beleive it also allows you to return to stock. however, this method is not street legal.

then there is my solution. i used some hella DOT approved lights. my headlights can not easily be returned to stock due to the modifications required to make the hellas fit (a new headlight bucket would remedy this however). while my light housings are DOT approved, the mounting is not. this is the closest setup to being legal as you can find (that i know of).
Old 12-19-2002, 02:03 PM

Re: stock housings

Originally posted by Paul 94Z M6
this is not meant as a dig on you guys so just read it and see if it makes sense to you...

the stock Camaro housings used from 93-97 are junk. thats it, plain and simple. you can swap bulbs to your hearts content but the fact remains that the all-glass housings available for these cars are about worthless in their reflective value. i mean come on, they are made up of a glass housing painted silver inside!

there are other, much better solutions out there, but it all depends on what you are willing to spend.

the most affordable option in my opinion is to mount up some high quality driving lights in place of the stock fog lights. the hella ff50 and ff75 are EXCELLENT lights for the $ and would greatly improve visability.

the next option is to upgrade the fog lights with even higher end driving lights. PIAA or CATZ are an option but other than finding a style you like better, you will be hardpressed to out-perform the lighting of the hellas.

now, we get into the higher $ options. here you are looking at stripping out the stock headlights and mounting equip and fabricating your own setup. Brent 94Z's setup is one of the most well-known. i beleive it also allows you to return to stock. however, this method is not street legal.

then there is my solution. i used some hella DOT approved lights. my headlights can not easily be returned to stock due to the modifications required to make the hellas fit (a new headlight bucket would remedy this however). while my light housings are DOT approved, the mounting is not. this is the closest setup to being legal as you can find (that i know of).
Just to add to this...

In my opinion, the HELLA FF75 out of the package are NOT SUFFICIENT illumination with only 55w H7 bulbs. This can be resolved with higher wattage bulbs, of course.

This is just my opinion based on experience.
Old 12-19-2002, 07:22 PM

Re: Re: stock housings

Originally posted by pu12en12g
Just to add to this...

In my opinion, the HELLA FF75 out of the package are NOT SUFFICIENT illumination with only 55w H7 bulbs. This can be resolved with higher wattage bulbs, of course.

This is just my opinion based on experience.
True that. I dont think there's any way those weak 55w lights would do.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:11 PM

since were voicing opinions...

i had both the ff50 and 75s as a headlight setup for some time, both running the standard H7 55w bulbs. they are plenty if aimed right...
Old 12-27-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: stock housings

I thought I was the only one that went this way. I just mounted some 90mm low beams in my car 2 weeks ago. I will be mounting some high beams soon (have them on order). One thing I did different is that I modified the headlight bracket to fit these lights without touching the old mounting points, so I can back to the old headlights in a jiffy (if I wanted to.. ). I can take some pics of how I did that, so you can see. Anyways, I am VERY satisfied with the result. Do you have the H9 version too? I started a thread about this mod yesterday and then found out that you already did the exact same thing ( Hella 90mm thread )

You mention that the mounting is not legal... How does that work? If the lights are DOT approved and you aim them correctly, how is that not legal

Sam

Last edited by Sam95ZNoTop; 12-27-2002 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2002, 01:34 PM

sam,
i would greatly appricate any pics of your mounting setup. either post a link or email me at pyankey@mailsnare.net

i could not find a way to mount them and leave the stock hardware intact.

anyway, yes mine are the H9's and i am so impressed with them, i don't think the others know what they are missing!
Old 12-27-2002, 02:24 PM

sam,
i would greatly appricate any pics of your mounting setup. either post a link or email me at pyankey@mailsnare.net

i could not find a way to mount them and leave the stock hardware intact.

anyway, yes mine are the H9's and i am so impressed with them, i don't think the others know what they are missing!
I posted some more pics at the place that I linked in the thread above. I did have to take off some of the bracket but I left the mounting points intact, so that you could revert back to the old lights if wanted. When you take off the stock headlights and the adjusting brackets, you are left with a square opening in the back. I filed off about 1/4" on both the left and right side of the hole. Then I cut out a piece of the top plate (you'll see in the pics where) and I filed a slot on the bottom of the hole that the top mounting screw of the stock setup attached to. I will try and make some arrows in the pics to clarify. I still plan on making some kind of cover around the lights to fill the open area. You'll also notice that the black flat plastic cover in front of the lights bends down a little, I had to take off the little mounting bracket under the edge to be able to do that. Also, I had to take out the bottom screw that holds the stock left-right adjustment mechanism, to allow it to rotate slightly out of the way.

One thing I am wondering now is how are the high beams?? If they are as much of an improvement as the low beams, that should be impressive!

Could you take some pics of the front of your car, so I can see what the whole setup looks like together with the car?

These lights are GREAT! I am very impressed with the lighting and they are not that expensive!

Sam
Old 12-27-2002, 02:30 PM

sam, there are various pics of the lights at my homepage (link in sig).

the highbeams are quite nice as well
Old 12-27-2002, 04:19 PM

sam, there are various pics of the lights at my homepage (link in sig).

the highbeams are quite nice as well
I was just checking out your hompage. Looks pretty good with all 4 of them! Did you get a chance to look at the pics I posted? Interesting to see a green camaro with black top, I have a tan top and tan leather interior....

Can't wait to get the high beams now! BTW, you are right, you have to actually see the light that these lights put on the road to fully appreciate it. They don't know what they are missing! When did you put these lights on BTW, I thought the H9 version has only been sold for a very short time now...?

Sam

Quick Reply: Modifying Stock 4351/2 Housings (pu12e, Bawls, Wraith, other guru's inside please)