Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

If anyone has done the LS1 front end conversion I have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 12:57 PM

If anyone has done the LS1 front end conversion I have some questions

I have a few questions about how the headlights mount up. Please email me at reznor@elp.rr.com if you can be of any assistance or you can post on here if you want. Thanks
Old 12-28-2002, 03:22 PM

I guess no one has successfully done the LS1 front end conversion... Ive posted questions about this on and off and get no responce... I know there is a search function, but Ive already got everything I can from that, so if anyone has done this conversion before, please let me know. Thanks
Old 12-28-2002, 06:32 PM

I've never converted one, but I've repaired about a dozen of them in front end collisions... what do you need to know?
Old 12-28-2002, 06:48 PM

I can try to help the best I can man , mine is firebird though . I would about gaurantee the mounting holes are identical though .
The best thing to do is get the hood and front fenders mounted mounted first off . Use the hood line to line up the lights to see where they have to go . Have the fenders mounted so you can get the hood lined up right side to side .
On my Trans Am , the old style lights mounted up on the core support with 1 bolt . I am not sure on the LT1 style camaro lights . With the 98-up style lights it mounted to the top of the core support with 2 bolts , that original mounting hole in the core support for the old lights was exactly where it needed to be for 1 of the mounting holes on the new lights ( the outer holes on each side ) . All I had to do is get the lights situated where they need to be and drill 1 new hole for each side in the core support .
After you get the lights mounted where they need to be , then you can aim them correctly . There should be a screw in each assembly for adjustment . I dunno if thats what u were wanted to hear , but maybe thatll help ya out a lil . Good luck with the rest of the conversion man .
Old 12-29-2002, 09:30 PM

Question

thanks for the replies, I know from other people on this site that the fenders and front end will bolt right up w/o any complications so Im not worried about that...

butl my question is about the headlights... I went to the junkyard today to check out some other misc parts and took a look at one of the LS1's they had there.. the headlight setup looked pretty simple, but its on an ls1 of course and I dont know if the LT1's would have the same mounting bolt holes already or if I have to fabricate or drill my own... I havent gotten my car back from the shop yet, thats why I have no clue, but I want a little heads up on it, because if its easy enough to do I will tow it home and save some money doing it myself but if I have to drill here and there and fabricate a place to mount them I might as well let the body shop do it.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:41 AM

I am doing this conversion now, its on hold till I mod my Grill, but I will go home later and take some digital pics of my LS1 headlight area and my LT1, and you can compare the positioning of the mounting holes. If you had to fab some brackets and mounting holes i wouldn't think it would be very difficult. I'll check it out at lunch.
Old 12-30-2002, 01:33 PM

I looked and searched over the net for some shots and I found a few. Here is a pic I made that shows a part that I dont have but I think Im going to need but I dont know what its called. In the picture the top one is the LT1 and the bottom one is the LS1... the part I am questioning is circled in red. It looks like the headlights bolt up to it as well as the front bumper cover. can anyone verify this and tell me how much it cost and what it is called??

http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=ZfKTUi

Originally posted by MadKilla
I am doing this conversion now, its on hold till I mod my Grill, but I will go home later and take some digital pics of my LS1 headlight area and my LT1, and you can compare the positioning of the mounting holes. If you had to fab some brackets and mounting holes i wouldn't think it would be very difficult. I'll check it out at lunch.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:37 PM

I just called speed automotive and he told me he forgot to send me that piece. So I think Im in the clear now.
Old 12-30-2002, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by ReznorZ28
I just called speed automotive and he told me he forgot to send me that piece. So I think Im in the clear now.
Oh geez ......thaaaaats who your dealing with ?

That where I got my front end conversion from . They forgot alot of stuff they said would be included , but when I called them , they gave me a run around . I ended up having to buy alot of misc. crap that was supposed to be included . The hood , I knew had a little fethering on one edge , but ended up being cracked at every mounting point .

Now matter how many times I told them , they still didnt understand the entire front end of my car was stolen . He kept acting like I was just doing a conversion from an already assembled car

Sorry to bitch here man , I just bad luck with that place .
Old 12-31-2002, 12:54 AM

Yea, they are kinda hard to get a hold of too! the past week I swear they had their phone off the hook as it was busy all week long, and just for the hell of it I called in the middle of the night and sure enough it was still busy. Anyways I finally got a hold of them to ask them about that piece and he said he forgot to send it and he is sending it tomorrow.... Although I am 100% satisfied with the parts I recieved from them, it took them longer than I was promised for them to ship them out. I was told the 6th or 9th of December but it wasnt actually shipped till the 19th... Im just waiting for 2 more pieces before I can put my car back together... the fan setup(because my fan housing was broken in the accident) and the little piece that I posted a picture of... without those pieces I can put my front bumper cover on or my headlights... and I wont get them till sometime next week!! I guess Ill just take my time putting the hood and fenders on... and the new rims I am buying tomorrow.

Originally posted by 90 Z28SS
Oh geez ......thaaaaats who your dealing with ?

That where I got my front end conversion from . They forgot alot of stuff they said would be included , but when I called them , they gave me a run around . I ended up having to buy alot of misc. crap that was supposed to be included . The hood , I knew had a little fethering on one edge , but ended up being cracked at every mounting point .

Now matter how many times I told them , they still didnt understand the entire front end of my car was stolen . He kept acting like I was just doing a conversion from an already assembled car

Sorry to bitch here man , I just bad luck with that place .
Old 01-24-2003, 11:33 PM

Talking

YOU know what. I THINK this IDEA is SO Bas *** man. ITs wonderfull HOW GM makes everything Universal for everyones NEEDS. I mean you got stuff on the 98;s and up that FIT on the 93-97 F-bods. WINGS, RIMS, TAILIGHT CONVERSIONS. Thass awsome. I have a 94 LT1 Ram Air Camaro with hood. ANd Im just fallin in LOve with the 98 and up Front end. Now I see where your coming from lol. ITs doesn't look to hard to do. Lights are ONE of the biggest thing. The other THing I was thinkin about is the wiring of the lights. ANd how the wiring will work. The FOG lamps Opt. ON some LS1 Front ends (Camaro) Some how some way the wiring from were the stock FOG lighting sits. (93-97) is goin to have to be re routed to the openings on the new Bumper. HANDS Down this whole IDea is Very Very Creative. I Think this is bas ***. Good luck fellas. Ill be with you on this soon
Chris
Old 01-24-2003, 11:33 PM

Talking

YOU know what. I THINK this IDEA is SO Bas *** man. ITs wonderfull HOW GM makes everything Universal for everyones NEEDS. I mean you got stuff on the 98;s and up that FIT on the 93-97 F-bods. WINGS, RIMS, TAILIGHT CONVERSIONS. Thass awsome. I have a 94 LT1 Ram Air Camaro with hood. ANd Im just fallin in LOve with the 98 and up Front end. Now I see where your coming from lol. ITs doesn't look to hard to do. Lights are ONE of the biggest thing. The other THing I was thinkin about is the wiring of the lights. ANd how the wiring will work. The FOG lamps Opt. ON some LS1 Front ends (Camaro) Some how some way the wiring from were the stock FOG lighting sits. (93-97) is goin to have to be re routed to the openings on the new Bumper. HANDS Down this whole IDea is Very Very Creative. I Think this is bas ***. Good luck fellas. Ill be with you on this soon
Chris
Old 01-25-2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by LT1CST
Chris
Im sure they just made it all universal for cost cutting purposes but yea, Im soo glad that it was possible to do this. I just got my car back from the paintshop the other day and it looks amazing. You wouldnt be able to tell the difference from any other LS1.. it looks that good. And the beauty part is that it was soooooo easy to do. This is by far the coolest thing I have ever done to my car. I just posted a lot of pics in my cardomains webpage if you want to check em out. Im also going to post them in my webshots photo album for those of you that want some full screen pics, because some of the pics I took(not to sound full of myself) would make cool desktop backgrounds. Thanks
Old 01-25-2003, 12:25 PM

TO REZNORZ28

DUDE The pics look so TIGHT man. Im also wondering. Exaclty HOW much was the whole thing done for? And what did you do yourself. Ive Priced some Fenders for like 150 bucks on the net somewhere and Bumper for not that much iether. As Far as the hood. WELL I have A SuncoastCreations Ram AIr hood on my Camaro now. So im gonna get the 98 Version of the Ram air hood to Hopefully work with my intake. PLease if you can eamil bro LEt me know
LT1CST@aol.com
CHris
Old 01-26-2003, 07:38 PM

Very nice! I've been thinking about doing the same thing to a '95 convertible. The easiest way would probably be to try to find all of the parts on one donar car. This way you know that you have the everything needed.

Quick Reply: If anyone has done the LS1 front end conversion I have some questions