Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

How to Disable Automatic Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:26 PM

How to Disable Automatic Headlights

I thought I remeber reading this somewhere on here long ago But I have been searching for 20 mintues now and I cannot find it,

this can easily be done right? All you have to do is clip a wire and ground it or something right?

Does anyone remember how to do disable the AUto headlights or how I can find the how to?

BTW I have a 2000 year camaro.

thanks
Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 PM

I just thoght of something, I like the DRL's. I would like them to continue to work,, is that posssible if I disable the auotmatic headlights??

here is the closest thread I've found with search so far

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...atic+headlight
Old 10-03-2010, 11:28 AM

probably not what your looking for, but if you pull your ebrake up one notch before you start the car it disables the automatic lights, but u can still use the switch to turn them on and off. idk how tight ur ebrake is, but it probably still is not going to hurt anything.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:24 PM

The light sensor is right next to the alarm indicator on the right side of the vent on the dashpad.

If you (carefully) pop the dashpad up in the back section (no need to take it all the way out), you can get access to the sensor and the connector. I stuck a 100 ohm resistor in there (bridging the connector), but you could probably just use a small paperclip with the same result. I just figured using a resistor was smarter than shorting it out in the unlikely case that I ever want to enable auto lights again.

And yes your DRLs will still work- disabling them AND the auto headlights is just a matter of unplugging the DRL module. BTW for all those running DRLs I would strongly suggest taking some dielectric grease and liberally using it on the front corner lamp connectors. I just had to do a bulb a couple of weeks ago and those things looked pretty burnt/nasty as a result of the 21 watt filament being on all the time.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:19 AM

so, if I bridge the plug with a paperclip it will disable the sensor? Is that the easiest/ best way to do it?

Will it damage something like you said?? (short it out?).... Do i really need to use a resistor to avoid damaging something? The sensor should be fine if I'm just unplugging it, was else could be damaged?

If I bridge it with a paper clip the DRL's will still work right?

There's only 2 pims on the the sensor connector right? there no way to screw it up right?

thanks
Old 10-09-2010, 12:33 AM

alright, I took the effort and looked it up myself and found this

"Disable automatic headlights only
If you like daytime running lights and only want to disable the automatic headlights feature, you can achieve this by replacing the ambient light sensor (really a photo-resistor) with a wire. According to the wiring diagram in the factory service manual (see images below), this is how the Pontiac F-Body (which does not have automatic headlights) is wired."

found it here

http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html

but As Usuall I put the cart before the horse, I had my radio out today while installing an Ipod Connection kit and could have done this much easier then, so I;ll try to do it under the dash top tommorrow but I might end up having to take the damn radio back out again...
Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 PM

did this today with a paper clip, piece of cake to do and worked great! Now my New HID's wont flash every time I start my engine.