Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Mains Rods Rings

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:21 PM

Mains Rods Rings

Here is my dilema. I have a 96 camaro with an lt1 350. The motor is out of the car and everything is removed from the engine block except the rotating assembly. I do not have enough money to get the block completely rebuilt. Again the pistons, rods, crank and mains have not been removed from the block. I want to put the car back together but I am not sure if I should replace all the bearing and rings. The engine never spun any bearings or any damage what so ever. The motor is in prestine condition. It had good cylinder pressure before being pulled. I am just bouncing back and forth on wheather to freshin the motor up or not. What do you guys think and what would you recommend for replacement parts"? No machining will be done, so all stock sizes on everything.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by sskevinm
Here is my dilema. I have a 96 camaro with an lt1 350. The motor is out of the car and everything is removed from the engine block except the rotating assembly. I do not have enough money to get the block completely rebuilt. Again the pistons, rods, crank and mains have not been removed from the block. I want to put the car back together but I am not sure if I should replace all the bearing and rings. The engine never spun any bearings or any damage what so ever. The motor is in prestine condition. It had good cylinder pressure before being pulled. I am just bouncing back and forth on wheather to freshin the motor up or not. What do you guys think and what would you recommend for replacement parts"? No machining will be done, so all stock sizes on everything.
I would add bearings, if your not adding bearings/stroking it etc. Then why did you begin tearing it apart?. Was it knocking or anything when you pulled it? just trying to get a sence of direction of where you want to go with it. I guess what im asking if why did you pull it in the first place? As far as replacement parts go, if you want a direct factory stock replacement, not sure where you would get them, maybe a dealership. Where do you plan on going with this, any nitrous etc?

replacement parts
Stock crank unless your going forged is what iv heard
Maybe some Eagle rods
Like I said not real sure where your going with it, but if its just a freshen up, id add some bearings atleast.

Last edited by bombebomb; 06-14-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Pull the front cap - if the bearing looks good just stick it all back together.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by MachinistOne
Pull the front cap - if the bearing looks good just stick it all back together.
From the sounds of it, this may be the best idea, just seems random to pull a motor for no reason.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:09 PM

If you can't afford to have the bottom end rebuilt, and the numbers were good before you took it out - it's best to leave it alone. I take these motors apart at 180K+ miles and the bearings and lower end parts look like brand new if the motor has been well maintained.

But like was said - why did you pull the heads?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:03 PM

I orginally pulled the motor 4 years ago to do a 383 stroker but never got a enough money to finish it. I want to put everything back together so I can enjoy this car once again. I am planning on putting a lt1 hot cam in that I picked up a while back. Since I am there I was not sure if I should replace all the bearings and rings but from the sounds of it I should put the motor back in the car. I appreciate everyones input. Thanks Again.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:24 PM

Check the front bearing like he said and if it's ok then slap it all back together. If the bearing looks good, it can't hurt to get a larger oil pan and a HV oil pump setup. Would be some good insurance for minimum investment.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:29 AM

It's so much work pulling and replacing the motor that I would freshen it up while it's out.

Rich
Old 06-16-2008, 06:37 AM

I am going to try and at least get the crank checked and turned.(new bearings)
I am also going to check the bore and pistons to follow up with a hone and ring job.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by sskevinm
I am going to try and at least get the crank checked and turned.(new bearings)
I am also going to check the bore and pistons to follow up with a hone and ring job.
That's what I would do. It will cost a few hundred $$$ but it will be like new. Good for anther 180K miles!

Rich
Old 06-16-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
That's what I would do. It will cost a few hundred $$$ but it will be like new. Good for anther 180K miles!

Rich
Absolutely! Then you will uncover any possible weaknesses in the bottom end that you could have otherwise missed.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:12 PM

Amen to that !!

ttt