3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

87 IROC-Z not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Angry 87 IROC-Z not starting

Dang usually when i'm on here i'm either answering questions or just observing. No major problems in the IROC (other than the CTS and TPS) till now. Damn thing won't start all of a sudden. Oh before I forget, 1987 IROC-Z with 305 TPI. didn't want to start the other day and then finally got it started and it ran fine. and then stopped at a few places and fired right up when i tried to start it before coming home. Now it won't start at all. I'm almost certain it's getting fuel but not spark. Several different codes are coming up (22, 24, 33, 36) and all of them have defective ECM as one of the possible causes. I'm kinda leaning towards the ECM as well. It's almost to the point where it needs a tuneup but I don't think that would make it this cranky and stubborn when it's just getting into that area. But I'm thinking ECM. just want to see what y'all think. What really sucks is that I had plenty of fuel in it to get me to my reserve unit and back and now i have to put gas in one of my other cars to get there and back. not too happy about that option. Hopefully we can figure it out though or i can get it started and get it where i can lift it up and work on it. Thanks for the help in advance

Drew
Old 06-08-2009, 04:50 PM

Are all your grounds good? I cant think of a reason why the ECM would take a crap on you all of a sudden, but I guess anything is possible. I ran into the non starting problem already, but never had codes like that. Mine turned out to be a ground that came loose...
Old 06-27-2009, 08:20 AM

Ok well finally (after much fighting through all the crap associated with the TPI motors) got the #1 plug off and to be blunt it looks like hell. that may be my problem as I saw spark when i tested the wire for it. Chances are the plugs may be just too far gone to spark. So anyway I was able to get 1-4 off this morning but i finally got pissed off and gave up on 5-8 for now. Any tips on tackling spark plugs 5-8? I did have it lifted up but I was unable to get enough leverage to break the plug i was working on loose before I gave up. These things have obviously been in here forever and a day. I just want to get this thing running for one cause there's a full tank of gas that's useless to me right now and two because the tranny is actually working correctly unlike my others.

Last edited by SupplySgt.; 06-27-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:37 PM

Ok so i went to confirm spark test with it pitch black out there. Nothing. wires are in pretty decent shape don't know about the distributor though. I'm also still waiting to get my hands on a fuel pressure gauge so that i can see if it's getting fuel as well. I'm kind of getting the feeling it's not getting fuel either. All i can hear is the fan coming on when i turn the key. But that fan is loud as hell and would mask out plenty of quieter sounds. still haven't figured out best way to get plugs 5-8 changed. So this should be interesting figuring out why she won't get spark. grrrr.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:40 PM

have you tried to start it using starter fluid directly into the TB? That should tell if its a fuel issue or not.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:35 PM

it would determine if it were fuel issues if i didn't know that i was no longer getting spark. but when i crank it now i'm not smelling fuel like i was previously. can't get a hold of fuel gauge to check and see if i'm getting fuel at all though. I did spray starter fluid into the throttle body but didn't fire. I still don't think i'm getting fuel either though
Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM

Have you ruled out the MAF? What are the values of your TPS? Have you checked all the relays? Also are all your grounds in good condition?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:06 PM

MAF and TPS are both new. both were in and the TPS was adjusted properly and working great before it decided it wouldn't start. All the grounds that I could find were in good shape except for the one directly off the battery. i replaced that one though and didn't help. I haven't been able to get the CTS replaced that's the only other component that I knew needed replaced but just haven't gotten around to taking the alternator off to get to it. I don't know about the relays I'm looking at wiring schematics to get a better idea before i start fiddling through wires and stuff. I'm by no means subject matter expert on electrical stuff so i'm trying to do my homework before i go through that.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM

well finally pulled the distributor and found my problem: the wires inside the dizzy are corroded. that might explain why i'm not getting spark. I wonder if that would explain the symptoms that made me think my fuel pump was going out?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt.
well finally pulled the distributor and found my problem: the wires inside the dizzy are corroded. that might explain why i'm not getting spark. I wonder if that would explain the symptoms that made me think my fuel pump was going out?
Seems likely, probably a good idea to just replace the whole thing, that would also rule out the pick up coil, which was my guess.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:30 AM

yeah i was just gonna get a whole new dizzy once i gather up the 100 bucks (unless i can find one for cheaper somewhere else). I'll let you know how it goes once i have the parts i need.