2010 - 2015 Camaro Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Discussion for 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Wheels | Tires | Brakes | Suspension

[Suspension] New Pfadt Fabricated Rear Trailing Arm available NOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM

New Pfadt Fabricated Rear Trailing Arm available NOW!!!

Hey everyone, The Pfadt Rear Trailing Arm is now complete and in-stock! We have had a lot of interest in this product, and its finally available!

This direct replacement trailing arm, is part of our ongoing effort to provide well engineered solutions to Camaro suspension shortcomings. We highly believe that taking this iterative design approach, and putting in analysis time on our designs to come up with a refined component, is what gives us our advantages over the competition.

Our new Pfadt trailing arm sets itself apart from other offerings. Take a look below.

Designing this part to be both lighter weight and higher strength then the factory component proved to be rather difficult, but was well worth the time involved, as we feel it resulted in the best replacement trailing arm on the market.

Here are some details:
300% strength increase in tension and compression
65% reduction in deflection
20% weight reduction each, including bushings (take a look at the comparison pictures!)
Grease fitting for easy lubrication
Polyurethane trailing arm bushing kit is included
Powder coated silver

Please feel free to give us feedback on this item. We are looking forward to hearing what you think, and please give us a call/PM in regards to pricing. Thanks guys!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Admin Emeritus

WOW...that's pretty cool.

Question for the people new to the scene, what are the pros and cons (if any) to switching over to these?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:09 PM

Thumbs up

Man, that's a work of art!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
WOW...that's pretty cool.

Question for the people new to the scene, what are the pros and cons (if any) to switching over to these?
Hi JasonD!

Thank you for posting your question.

These rear trailing arms that we offer address the deflections and strength deficiencies of the OEM trailing arm assembly. These problem areas most commonly lead to a dynamic alignment under lateral forces (cornering), changing the tire contact patch from what is intended, and results in unexpected grip level changes and balance changes while in a a turn or series of turns. Longitudinal forces (braking and acceleration) are affected as well,and can cause (the infamous) wheel hop problems under many conditions. The trailing arm kit that we offer above provides a stronger, lighter, more durable solution to these problems, and gives a more stable response curve under transient handling conditions.

There is a handful of items in the rear suspension that contribute to the "sloppy handling" characteristics that it is know to have. The OEM rear trailing arm is one of them. When used with our Toe Link solution, you get an even greater improvement in rear suspension response and stability.

I hope this helps explain a little as to why this is a fantastic upgrade for the Camaro rear suspension. Please do not hesitate to ask more questions.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Man, what I would give to have you guys working on 4th gen suspension parts. We have lots of options, but most of them are drag oriented, and even when they're not, we certainly don't get the engineering breakdown like you gave here.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by bluz28
Man, that's a work of art!
Excellent! Thanks for the comments!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:16 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Man, what I would give to have you guys working on 4th gen suspension parts. We have lots of options, but most of them are drag oriented, and even when they're not, we certainly don't get the engineering breakdown like you gave here.
I was just thinking the same thing!
Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by bluz28
I was just thinking the same thing!
Are you kidding? 4th gens have tons of options to make them handle well. You guys just need to look harder
Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
Are you kidding? 4th gens have tons of options to make them handle well. You guys just need to look harder
Well now we do, (I've got a lot of them) but when the 4th Gen Camaro's first came out in 1993 you didn't see the high end stuff like you do now with the 5th Gen Camaro.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
There are a bunch of options, but there are a few issues with the current selection:

1. 95-99% of them are drag-specific.

2. Nowhere (that I've seen) is there an engineering breakdown of what parts accomplish what and why that's good, which is exactly what the Pfadt guys have given here.

3. Many of the parts I've seen require you to select between poly bushings and rod ends (or one of each). Poly bushings bind, and rod ends are noisy. Lots of guys don't care or don't mind. Others say they're running poly with no binding issues. I guess this goes back to the engineering breakdown -- how do I decide what I want?

I want a real suspension engineer with a real testing facility to engineer parts specifically to address the 4th gen's weak points in the best way possible.

The closest I can find to what I'm asking for is Strano, but his stuff is missing the engineering breakdown and offers me little to help me make decisions. I've heard that if you can get Sam himself on the phone, he'll talk you through everything, but I really like to try to do my homework in advance, and I don't want to call him and use up his time before I know what I want, let alone how much I'm going to need to spend to get what I want.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
There are a bunch of options, but there are a few issues with the current selection:

1. 95-99% of them are drag-specific.

2. Nowhere (that I've seen) is there an engineering breakdown of what parts accomplish what and why that's good, which is exactly what the Pfadt guys have given here.

3. Many of the parts I've seen require you to select between poly bushings and rod ends (or one of each). Poly bushings bind, and rod ends are noisy. Lots of guys don't care or don't mind. Others say they're running poly with no binding issues. I guess this goes back to the engineering breakdown -- how do I decide what I want?

I want a real suspension engineer with a real testing facility to engineer parts specifically to address the 4th gen's weak points in the best way possible.

The closest I can find to what I'm asking for is Strano, but his stuff is missing the engineering breakdown and offers me little to help me make decisions. I've heard that if you can get Sam himself on the phone, he'll talk you through everything, but I really like to try to do my homework in advance, and I don't want to call him and use up his time before I know what I want, let alone how much I'm going to need to spend to get what I want.
95 to 99% drag racing??? That is way to high. Just to this site. And read. WWW.frrax.com
Look at companies like unbalanced engineering, globel west, Allan Blaine fabrication. LG motorsports.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

We covered this in CamaroZ28.Com Podcast Episode #238. Have a listen and call in with your thoughts!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:03 PM

Jason, listened to it today and love it! Thanks so much for your support. We will be listening! Great job.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

And that wasn't even one of our better shows!