2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Why do we want to go backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
Why did they call it Camaro and not Klamato?

So people wouldn't argue whether to pronounce it Klah-may-toe or Klay-mah-to.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:51 AM

Lurk Moar.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:20 PM

Personally, I think the 4th gen Camaro was one of the best designs put out by Detroit in the 1990s. But it is the ultimate expression of the idea -- you can't get any lower, longer, or more jellybean-aero. And when you can't go forward anymore, that's when you look to the past for inspiration.

As for whether it's "retro" or not, just like with the New Beetle and the Mustang, most people will perceive that it is. Seems like a battle not worth fighting.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 PM

Thumbs down You are...

way, way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over-analyzing the design history of the Camaro.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:59 PM

I think the simpliest answer is everyone else was doing it.

Mustang is retro. Chrylser had been the leader in reto with the Prowler and then doing a similiar front end to the PT cruiser. (which is certainly why the HHR looks like it does) and now the retro challenger.
Of course GM is going to be in the me too crowd and make there car compete in style with the mustang and challenger.

I think anything more is over analyzing the situtation and giving too much credit where it isn't due.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
I think the simpliest answer is everyone else was doing it.
And the more complicated answer is that the Baby Boomers are hitting retirement age, so the car companies are trying to create products that remind them of their youth.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
Take a gander at the 1969 you can see at many car shows.

Then go check out the guy burning 12s at your local dragstrip in his 4th gen.

And after all that, ask yourself, do you really want to go backwards in design?

The 69 gave way to the 2nd generation of Camaros, the 12 years that took a muscle car and gave it just enough styling cues and sales to continue to turn the old beast into a sports car lookalike as it did in 82 as the 3rd Gen. The 4th Gen came some 11 years and further developed those sports car looks and really adapted them well in the 98 refurbishing. Thus giving us a sports car from a muscle car.

So why is the 5th Gen, the supposed successor to the sports car Vette lookalike (to morons) 4th Gen, a muscle car and having 69 style influences?

That just seems backwards.

Is it because of the Mustang being retro nowadays? Maybe, maybe not. The previous Mustangs were alright in my book with styling, because it took what the oil crisis redesign to an econobox gave it, and filled out those lines, like an ugly chick in high school that turns out to be nicely legged, with ginormo ***** and a butt to make you go . You know, those Maury Povitch gals.

Well, if you look at that 80s Mustang, and the 04 you can see the basic shapes working together and the same ideas just in a more modern and contemporary way, just as that 82 Camaro can be quite similar to the 02, as opposed to being able to compare a 69 to an 02. Or for that matter, 1974 Bumblebee to the 2007 Concept Bumblebee, just comparing the looks of his two forms and seeing the 07 concept as a step forward is quite shocking to me.

The point here is that those old stylings really did not stick around long enough, and if they had, would you still have bought one? Because you seemed to like what GM gave you instead.

So the first question is, why did you accept the change in 1970 as a Camaro when the styling in the front went away from that nearly straight edge, blockyness of muscle cars, and that which developed and gave birth to the sports car we had?

And the second question is, why is the 07 concept and the 09 production model acceptable as a continuation of the Camaro, when it blatantly ignores the past 3 generations of styling?
The bottom line is, that is your opinion and we all have opinions. The end result will be buy it if you like it, don't buy it if you don't like it. That's pretty simple isn't it?
Clyde
Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by fastball
Keep in mind, the 4th gen, while appearing very aerodynamic, does not have as low Cd (coefficient of drag) as the 5th gen will have, even though it looks less aerodynamic. Modern design and engineering can do wonders with things like that.
I'd be interested in seeing hard data to back that up ... and while you're at it, let's get frontal area of each so we can get the total drag number.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
The previous Mustangs were alright in my book with styling, because it took what the oil crisis redesign to an econobox gave it, and filled out those lines, like an ugly chick in high school that turns out to be nicely legged, with ginormo ***** and a butt to make you go . You know, those Maury Povitch gals.