2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your thoughts on the new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by reamo04
some of the pictures made me...iffy
i did however see, and sit in them at the auto show here last weekend and liked it very well

and for people complaining about price, look up the price of 4th gens when they were new. A 97 SS fully optioned was upper 30s
On what planet?

SS Camaros here were going for just under 30K when I got my car. My Z28 stickered at just under $24K.

SS was an overpriced option to start with since it didnt get any real power adder.

If they had launched the Z28 the way they were going to, then maybe.. but I dont like retro and I dont like the interior.
I will test drive it as soon as they get here. I already have a few dealers waiting for theirs so they can call me.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:57 AM

i absolutely hate all this retro styling crap between the big three so, just like with the mustang and challenger, i will not be considering a camaro in the future either. if gm survives i wonder how long till the vette starts to look like a 54 clone? then there's the cost issue that i wasn't aware of. no way in hell i'd pay that much for a camaro! IF it were a design i actually liked i'd just wait a year or two and pick up a used 2ss for 17k i still want to go drive one though, just to feel the power and see how it gets around a corner but if actually were in the market for a 2 door sporty/muscle car i'd probably be looking 370z or somewhere else.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:02 AM

I like the retro styling. Those styles are classic IMO, and if they were good looking back then then why not bring them back? I think the new Camaro looks the least retro compared to the Mustang and Challenger though. I never really was a big fan of the 4thgen styling so I'm glad to see the styling of the new Camaro.

Speaking of the Challenger, I've been seeing more of them around and man, I'm really starting to like those.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 AM

Love the new styling, and I am very excited about the car
Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by texz
Hopefully the price will come down when the "New Car" novelty wears off.
I hope so. I just hope it doesn't take so long that it kills it.

Performance or not, the Camaro needs to be competitive in price or it will once again be a thing of the past. If it does not have a very good launch (in sales), its long term future might once again be in doubt. It would be a shame to see the Camaro go away because GM made it too expensive for the projected buyers.

I'm also kind of surprised that they went with the SS as the V8 option over the Z-28. I know they have plans for a monster Z-28 (if it ever actually sees the light of day), but why not put the Z-28 out there and then add an SS as a more powerful and more exclusive option (like they've done in the past).
Old 03-22-2009, 11:43 AM

I think it sucks.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:17 PM

I really like the car but for my taste it must have a lower stance, larger wheels (18s and 20s) with tires that fill the wheel wells and the matte black hood on the LS7 proto works. Interior styling is a mixed bag and the engine compartment with all the plastic cover crap would require a remodel with my own custom touches. The price, though,

Originally Posted by formulaofsuccess
i absolutely hate all this retro styling crap between the big three ... if gm survives i wonder how long till the vette starts to look like a 54 clone?
Funny you mention retro styling and the 'Vette. If you look at the C6 and the mid-60s designs, you will see many similar styling cues.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:33 PM

Blah blah blah it's too expensive, I hate retro, etc etc, go see how much power an ls3 makes with a cam and headers then well talk.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by psychocabbage
On what planet?
On planet earth, my 1996 Camaro SS totaled around 31-32 if I remember correctly. Definitely over 30.

SS was an overpriced option to start with since it didnt get any real power adder.
Then considering the 2010 is over 100 horsepower north of my 1996 Camaro SS, at a price of a "only" a couple thousand more than 13 years ago, plus has more standard features than were even available on a Camaro then, it isn't such a bad deal.

I think it sucks that a Corvette isn't in my range of affordability but I can't compare it to the price of a Corvette 13 years ago and expect it to be the same price while being a better car.

If you are going to talk about price and compare it to what things were 10+ years ago, you also need to consider what you for for that price 10+ years ago. If you cancel some things out, the new Camaro is still a better deal, IMO.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Yeah some people really need to learn about inflation on this board, reminds me of old farts complaining they use to be able to get gas for a quarter. Just because you bought something 10 years ago for $xx doesn't mean you could still buy the same thing today for that amount. Costs increase over time, I remember gas was only .99 cents back in 1990 but I was only making $3.15 and hour. My Z28 cost $19k back in 2002 but with inflation that would be about $27k today, that was for a 1SC stripper.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Am I the only one who thinks their timing is **** poor? I think they should have pulled the trigger on this car long ago. Maybe this is a symptom of what is wrong with this company, and why they are on the brink of extinction. When the retro Mustang & Challengers came out the media fawned, and there was significant buzz about how cool these cars were. The GTO was a nice car, fast, but it was not distinctive in it's style. That maybe should have either been retro, or NOT called a GTO. It was a dud for Pontiac because it looked like a typical fwd Pontiac.
Now everything is different, and performance cars, Hummers, and large cars are not "cool". We just had the gas price crunch, which will scare off some buyers. Plus the government is pushing fuel economy standards on the big three, so even if these cars sold like crazy it might even hurt Chevrolet. I think a certain % of your sold fleet must reach a particular MPG average standard. Between Camaros & light trucks they may have too many V-8's going out the, if these were selling cheap and going like hotcakes. Maybe they will have to sell a boat load of Volts, or make a hybrid Camaro. It is nuts, if people want V-8'S, and can afford the gas then get off their backs.

I think GM is too late getting this car up and on the market. No matter how good the car is it may fail in this climate, as may the company. When was the last time you saw a AMC dealership? GM may be next. My opinion is the retro styling is just OK. It doesn't thrill me. I think we/us (car guys) are a shrinking segment of the market anyway. We are dinosaurs, and cool cars may be harder and harder to find.

Does anyone know what the SS weighs compared to the Challenger, which is a very heavy vehicle? A stock SRT 8 with the more powerful Hemi isn't all that fast at the track because of the weight.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Erik
With the cheapest 1SS being $36,995, and the 2SS at $40,995, it's too expensive for me.
wat?

Right now I'm trying to decide if I should get a Camaro or a Vette. I really like the exterior of the Camaro, but hate the interior. I really don't like how the stereo setup prevents an aftermarket NAV unit, the lack of HUD, and the big, flat dash. People said to see it in person before I decide, so I'm going to the auto show today and see it in person. If I still don't like it, I guess I'll have to get a Vette.
I am also considering the 08 c6 instead, but only if im able to find one for around 40k.

For me, the problem with the new Camaro is the exterior. I hate the oversized wheels, and the stance. My biggest complaint is the rear, its just ugly. I need to see it in person first, i usually dont care that much about aesthetics as much as the #'s, but this thing needs some serious work, and i can see my self dropping a decent amount of cash on appearance mods if i end up getting it, and that goes against my car philosophy.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dafantom
Am I the only one who thinks their timing is **** poor? I think they should have pulled the trigger on this car long ago. Maybe this is a symptom of what is wrong with this company, and why they are on the brink of extinction. When the retro Mustang & Challengers came out the media fawned, and there was significant buzz about how cool these cars were. The GTO was a nice car, fast, but it was not distinctive in it's style. That maybe should have either been retro, or NOT called a GTO. It was a dud for Pontiac because it looked like a typical fwd Pontiac.
Now everything is different, and performance cars, Hummers, and large cars are not "cool". We just had the gas price crunch, which will scare off some buyers. Plus the government is pushing fuel economy standards on the big three, so even if these cars sold like crazy it might even hurt Chevrolet. I think a certain % of your sold fleet must reach a particular MPG average standard. Between Camaros & light trucks they may have too many V-8's going out the, if these were selling cheap and going like hotcakes. Maybe they will have to sell a boat load of Volts, or make a hybrid Camaro. It is nuts, if people want V-8'S, and can afford the gas then get off their backs.

I think GM is too late getting this car up and on the market. No matter how good the car is it may fail in this climate, as may the company. When was the last time you saw a AMC dealership? GM may be next. My opinion is the retro styling is just OK. It doesn't thrill me. I think we/us (car guys) are a shrinking segment of the market anyway. We are dinosaurs, and cool cars may be harder and harder to find.

Does anyone know what the SS weighs compared to the Challenger, which is a very heavy vehicle? A stock SRT 8 with the more powerful Hemi isn't all that fast at the track because of the weight.
camaro supposed to weigh @ 3700, while the pig of a challenger weighs over 4k (but looks much better).
Old 03-22-2009, 12:58 PM

The exterior is definitely eye-catching. One in black with black rims, smoked lights, tinted windows...oh my.

Just wish I could like the interior that much. It's obviously going to be a better car than my Mustang, but I like my car too much to give it up for a 5th gen. Now, a 4th gen on the other hand.....

Well, I wouldn't give up my car, but I could just add a 4th gen with it.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:59 PM

Styling, inside and out, = awesome. The reports of a comfortable ride combined with no body roll = awesome. Pricing is pretty good - The 2SS I want stickers at about $35,000. Sticking with new cars, there's nothing else out there cheaper that has the same cababilities. It sounds like they've built a car thats quicker than my 4th gen, quieter, better riding, better seats and interior, but with the same awesome handling. And perhaps most importantly, this thing has some serious swagger. I can't wait to drive one! Unfortunately, I will not be able to buy one till at least 2012.

I've even gotten over the fact that it doesn't have T-Tops or a hatch back. Yeah, I'd still prefer it to have those things, but realisitcally they can't be incorporated into this design, and they probably don't appeal to the general buying public they way they do to me. It does mean the sunroof (or a convertible) is a must have option for me :-) And It does mean I'll be looking for a way to get a 2010 and keep my 99. TTopJohn can't be without a TTop equipped vehicle in the fleet.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts on the new Camaro?