2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar on the new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:53 AM

OnStar on the new Camaro

GM has been on the OnStar kick now for awhile now and it does help save lives (firsthand experience), but I'd like to make a case for either no Onstar or a way for an antenna to be completely hidden on the new Camaro. I have a TrailBlazer SS and I love the lines, but the mandatory Onstar/XM sharkfin detracts from the cleaned up appearance. The lines on this new Camaro are so visually stunning I would hate to see a ticky-tack item on there...kinda like a a gold tooth on a supermodel. Thoughts?

P.S. I don't know if this has been discussed, but I can't find anything easily in the searches, so if this is a duplicate I apologize.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:59 AM

Re: OnStar on the new Camaro

They should be able to hide it if they want to. The Corvette has it built into the windshield behind the mirror if I am not mistaken. They use to have the XM antanae on the trunklid of the convertibles and now have it in the windshield too.

Matt
Old 02-10-2006, 11:10 AM

I agree. Those stupid little antennas stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:31 AM

OnStar will definitely be standard. GM stated last year that EVERY retail vehicle they sell will have OnStar standard by 2007 model year and stability control by 2010. So you can count on StabiliTrak, too.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:38 AM

Dont care for Onstar personally. Each vehicle will probably have it standard but it will be up to the owner if they want to pay for the service. I'm sure GM will give you a certain amount of time for a free demo to try and hook some people. Either way, dont want it.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:00 PM

"This is OnStar we have your car estimated going over 140 MPH on I-90 we have alerted the police.."

Damn...Just another method to track and screw us out of our rights..
Old 02-10-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by 95HellBird
"This is OnStar we have your car estimated going over 140 MPH on I-90 we have alerted the police.."

Damn...Just another method to track and screw us out of our rights..
Newsflash.. you don't have a "right" to be doing 140+ on a highway
Old 02-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Newsflash.. you don't have a "right" to be doing 140+ on a highway
But we do have a right to privacy!
Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Koldnrg
But we do have a right to privacy!
No you don't, not as it applies to this discussion. The right to privacy while commiting a crime? Come on.

If anyone doesn't want the onstar, cut the wire to the antenna. Let's not get paranoid here, how many C6 owners have had onstar call the cops on them?

BTW, I think the Corvettes onstar antenna is behind the passenger side mirror.

Last edited by CLEAN; 02-10-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:19 PM

and what if you are 'speeding' on a closed course? what about things like burnouts, tailslides, donuts? are they going to get pissy when they notice you losing traction more than should be normal?

it's just another form of control that needs to at least give the option to opt out.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:47 PM

OnStar is free for the first year, then they hook you. I love the fact that if your car gets stolen, you call OnStar and they'll notify the police of your car's whereabouts.

Now for the right of privacy discussion. If OnStar were to start notifying the police for every violation, don't you think some people would protest and refuse to buy GM products? Seriously, if you consider it an invasion of your privacy, you're too paranoid and need professional help.

Look at the positives for a change. You can sign-up to have OnStar notify you on when your car needs service and what the problem is. That's a great thing for the mechanically inept.

BTW, they can easily hide the antenna if they really want to.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 95HellBird
Could make things easy.

But in reality I think the people at OnStar are to busy helping there subscribers to be looking for speeders. What you do have to worry about is: John and Jane Doe, calling you in on there Cell Phone.

I think that the question on offering OnStar is a no brainer. Put it in all the cars and those that want to use it can sign up. I for one think that it is an excellent safety tool. There are still plenty of areas not covered by Cell Towers.

Last edited by UHP-CAMARO; 02-10-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
OnStar is free for the first year, then they hook you. I love the fact that if your car gets stolen, you call OnStar and they'll notify the police of your car's whereabouts.

Now for the right of privacy discussion. If OnStar were to start notifying the police for every violation, don't you think some people would protest and refuse to buy GM products? Seriously, if you consider it an invasion of your privacy, you're too paranoid and need professional help.

Look at the positives for a change. You can sign-up to have OnStar notify you on when your car needs service and what the problem is. That's a great thing for the mechanically inept.

BTW, they can easily hide the antenna if they really want to.
Agreed.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:52 PM

If it is standard and non-deletable, I may not buy a Camaro. I don't need big brother to have the ability to listen to my conversation as I drive down the road.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by posaune
If it is standard and non-deletable, I may not buy a Camaro. I don't need big brother to have the ability to listen to my conversation as I drive down the road.
It's standard on all GM vehicles however you don't have to activate it at the time of purchase if you don't want to. (We bought a new Trailblazer last weekend they asked if we wanted it activated or not.)

If you really think OnStar equates to Big Brother, you need professional help.

Quick Reply: OnStar on the new Camaro