2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If built, not in Canada per Lutz

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:27 PM

Re: If built, not in Canada per Lutz

Originally Posted by 25thTA
Doraville, GA. Just north of Atlanta. They build minivans there now and it seems I recall hearing (in the local news) it's about to close for retooling. I'd love it if that's where the Camaro gets built. That's my neck of the woods and it's American as Apple pie and Chevrolet!
Lambda vans are going to 1 Doraville plant, I think there are 2 in the area.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Lambda vans are going to 1 Doraville plant, I think there are 2 in the area.
And the other is a stamping plant...
Old 01-12-2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by IREngineer
And the other is a stamping plant...
For the CSVs or something else?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fenster
Scott told us the exact same thing in Atlanta in '04. Car would have required a complete redesign, which could not have been completed soon enough to keep productions up...
This make no logic sense at all. Why can they do it now but couldn't back then, when they still had a plant to build it in? Why did they close and TEAR down this plant when ever other rear wheel drive plant has been converted to trucks and SUV's? Remember the full size SS Impala, was supposedly killed so the plant could be used for trucks.
Why, if plants in Canada have such could build quality scores, is GM supposedly moving new production to the U.S?
Why is it that the Camaro couldn't be redesigned but they could design a whole new HHR, SSR, Buick, Trailblazer, etc., etc., etc.?
Why aren't all cars put on hiatus between remodels? What makes this car special?
Lots of unanswered question and no answers forth coming. All we get is BS about it being a secret!!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:08 PM
Prominent Member

Did you not read Guy's PHR article?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 PM

For the CSVs or something else?
CSV's and maybe something else, not sure.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
This make no logic sense at all. Why can they do it now but couldn't back then, when they still had a plant to build it in? Why did they close and TEAR down this plant when ever other rear wheel drive plant has been converted to trucks and SUV's? Remember the full size SS Impala, was supposedly killed so the plant could be used for trucks.
Why, if plants in Canada have such could build quality scores, is GM supposedly moving new production to the U.S?
Why is it that the Camaro couldn't be redesigned but they could design a whole new HHR, SSR, Buick, Trailblazer, etc., etc., etc.?
Why aren't all cars put on hiatus between remodels? What makes this car special?
Lots of unanswered question and no answers forth coming. All we get is BS about it being a secret!!
Personally, I think it's little more than an excuse.
They were just letting the Camaro live out it's life until it couldn't be made. GM wanted to kill it in '97 but a few Camaro lovers internal to GM convinced them to do a minor face lift.

The death decree had all but been signed, rather than pulling they plug they decided to let it die a natural death.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 PM

Just to sort theses out.

Well this was my guess. Oshawa being the home of Camaro. BL said no to Canada and that rules this out.

I am thinking D-Ham, which was a prominant rumor over a year ago. That would give the current DTS and Lucerne 5 years on the market, both intro'd in 2006, and that fits the current time cycle. The 2011 intro would be likely a RWD/AWD large luxury sedan, think 7 series.

That makes it pretty easy: Willmington Delaware. So the Solstice and Sky will get some bigger brothers with higher production figures to fill up the plant. Although Hudson had previously indicated that 2 new models were due for the plant in the 2007 model year, MY or CY I did not ask. He did also mention that one would be a vert. Does this throw a wrench into the works?
Doubt it. My guess is a flexible line like Ford's Flat Rock or GM's Oshawa (#1?). My thought was that Camaro would be made on the same line as the full size Chevy. But now it seems that there will be a group of these coupes/convertibles, justifying a assembly plant of their own.

When BL mentioned 150,000 Camaros, I suspect he misspoke. I think he probally meant 150,000 C6Zs, which includes Holden and Pontiac's (and perhaps even Buick's) cars. Throw in the Kappas at their part of the plant, and that puts the plant near capacity, with breathing room of 20,000 cars (if it went to 3 shifts and fully staffed).

This all plays into the word that the coupes might very well beat the sedans they're based on to market by a year or so. Oshawa is tentatively set to get a new model in 2009 at the end of the "W" run.

FWIW, the Saturn L assembly line was never disassembled. Seems Solstice/Sky/Opel are done in a just a portion of the plant. When GM begins disassembling the L line tooling, we can probally begin the countdown.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Doubt it. My guess is a flexible line like Ford's Flat Rock or GM's Oshawa (#1?). My thought was that Camaro would be made on the same line as the full size Chevy. But now it seems that there will be a group of these coupes/convertibles, justifying a assembly plant of their own.

When BL mentioned 150,000 Camaros, I suspect he misspoke. I think he probally meant 150,000 C6Zs, which includes Holden and Pontiac's (and perhaps even Buick's) cars. Throw in the Kappas at their part of the plant, and that puts the plant near capacity, with breathing room of 20,000 cars (if it went to 3 shifts and fully staffed).

This all plays into the word that the coupes might very well beat the sedans they're based on to market by a year or so. Oshawa is tentatively set to get a new model in 2009 at the end of the "W" run.

FWIW, the Saturn L assembly line was never disassembled. Seems Solstice/Sky/Opel are done in a just a portion of the plant. When GM begins disassembling the L line tooling, we can probally begin the countdown.
So lets figure this one out a little more, I am slow sometimes.

GM puts a Chevy coupe, Buick coupe, Holden coupe/Pontiac coupe rebadge and Kappas in one plant. Ok that fills it up. Now Oshawa 2 is closing so that means Lacrosse and GP or their replacements need a new home. Impala and MC are tied to Oshawa 1, like the Camaro and Firebird were to St. Therese. Impala would likely be the RWD chevy sedan and the volume car at Oshawa 1, GP's replacement and Lacrosse would take over the volume left by MC dying. Also I would expect since the larger NG Malibu is going to stay FWD it would be larger volume car than now and would take over much of Impala's fleet sales and lower cost sales so the next RWD Impala would be lower volume, this would leave room for both Lacrosse and Pontiac's RWD sedan in Oshawa 1.

This makes sense to me. So the larger sedans are made at the same plant and the smaller coupes are made a different plant, but all made together.

I am wondering where does this leave Lucerne and DTS? Could these move to a larger Sigma?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by pat b
I would have thought they'd want to produce something front wheel drive in stead of a Camaro. It seems to me to be a safer bet. I figure people will always need front wheel drive.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. The point I was trying to make is that whenever I've read anything on where the 5th gen will be built it always seems the the CAW is quite determined to have it built in Canada. I wasn't trying to start a rwd vs. fwd debate.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:02 PM

What all of you seem to forget is most of the engineers and so on that was not at the NAIAS unvail was because they were all home getting ready to leave for Australia down to Holden and GM is moving their families there does that tell you anything.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 PM

sorry to jump at the end of this thread... but...

Please tell me it'll be built in the USA...

because thus far... Holden is doing the designing... thus Far, Holden I'm sure is planning to build themselves a model...

Please tell me it'll still be built in North America...
Old 01-12-2006, 09:31 PM

The Holden platform is about 7 or 8 years old that the GTO is built on so they are down there to design and build a all new platform for the cars as I get it
Old 01-12-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by NewbieWar
sorry to jump at the end of this thread... but...

Please tell me it'll be built in the USA...

because thus far... Holden is doing the designing... thus Far, Holden I'm sure is planning to build themselves a model...

Please tell me it'll still be built in North America...

the chassis design work is being done at Holden (which is a great choice considering all their experience with RWD) but the chassis will be built and assembled in the North America.

as for Holden getting a version, i wouldn't doubt it, but from the way are friends from down under are talking (SSbaby, AnthonyHSV, Oz Mickey T, and crYnOid), Holden is focusing more on the VE cars getting to production right now.

they are getting one coupe in the near future we should all be jealous of:
Originally Posted by crYnOid
Just another note while we are on Holden. HSV seem to be saying that they will build 50 coupes, with the LS7 in them, in the middle of the year. AUS$125k.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:07 AM

GM shares gained yesterday, rising $1.61, or 7.7 per cent, to close at $22.41 after Goldman Sachs Group raised the company to ``in-line’’ from ``underperform’’ and said a bankruptcy protection filing was unlikely any time soon.
time to buy GM stock??

Quick Reply: If built, not in Canada per Lutz