2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General advice plz

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:20 AM

General advice plz

Ok first off my appologies if this is entered in the wrong board. I have a few questions regarding my soon to be new car and was wondering if any of you had some answers/advice. Here goes ...

1. This will be my 1st V8 ... have only ever driven FWD 4 cyl's my last being a 2006 Cobalt SS S/C ... Any advice on making the conversion?
2. How do you properly care for / break in a V8
3. Are there any special considerations when starting a V8 in below 0 temps?
4. As I am gonna have to drive this during winter for the first year or 2 any advice on how to do so safetly?

I know a few of these may seem straight forward n00b type questions but I am wanting to make sure this car is well taken care of. I appreciate any further advice which isnt meantioned in a question above. Thx.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Since you're moving from FWD to RWD, the general difference will be how the power is applied to the rear wheels. Especially be careful applying the throttle when making turns in wet conditions. Once you get the hang of driving it in the winter, it should be a piece of cake in the summer months.

As for specialty care and break in, its about the same for any new car. Just follow the manufacturer's recommended break-in procedures covered in the owners manual.

I've never lived in conditions where I had to start a car in below 0 temps, so I can't really help you there except to suggest whatever worked for the Cobalt should also work for the Camaro. Fluids are most effected by the temperature, so adding 4 cylinders doesn't really make that much of a difference. (Although I'm sure some with challenge me on that. )
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Since you're moving from FWD to RWD, the general difference will be how the power is applied to the rear wheels. Especially be careful applying the throttle when making turns in wet conditions. Once you get the hang of driving it in the winter, it should be a piece of cake in the summer months.

As for specialty care and break in, its about the same for any new car. Just follow the manufacturer's recommended break-in procedures covered in the owners manual.

I've never lived in conditions where I had to start a car in below 0 temps, so I can't really help you there except to suggest whatever worked for the Cobalt should also work for the Camaro. Fluids are most effected by the temperature, so adding 4 cylinders doesn't really make that much of a difference. (Although I'm sure some with challenge me on that. )
Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by Lowridah98
1. This will be my 1st V8 ... have only ever driven FWD 4 cyl's my last being a 2006 Cobalt SS S/C ... Any advice on making the conversion?
Just remember it doesn't quite handle the same. It shouldn't take you long to get used to it.

2. How do you properly care for / break in a V8
Change oil every 5,000 miles or less. Follow the owner's manual.

3. Are there any special considerations when starting a V8 in below 0 temps?
Consider an engine block heater. Otherwise, let it warm up well. Then, wven though the engine is warm, still drive slowly starting out because everything in the driveline after the crankshaft and suspension is still 0 degrees.

4. As I am gonna have to drive this during winter for the first year or 2 any advice on how to do so safetly?
Slow and steady when you learn. Don't take risks or chances and don't drive beyond your personal level of control and ability. Learn to drive well on instinct and not close call.

If you can borrow a RWD car, find a large, semi-private parking lot that is frozen over and slick or even a frozen field or lake that cars can go on. Use that for training. It is an old trick growing up in the country we used to use. It teaches you how to get control back and if you start to lose it.

I know a few of these may seem straight forward n00b type questions but I am wanting to make sure this car is well taken care of. I appreciate any further advice which isnt meantioned in a question above. Thx.
Never a problem on this site! We are happy to help!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM

Luckily my brother drives one of those Impala SS models with the small block V8. However it is FWD .. I do remember him gettin advice from my father to warm it up when its cold etc. And being in Canada ... block heaters are standard! Sweet!

I was also lucky enough to get a 2SS/RS to drive around for an afternoon from my Father's dealership. Wanted to get the feel of the car before I sank 45 grand into one. Was more impressed driving the Camaro then I was a vette.