2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges ON the dash.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:07 PM

Re: Gauges ON the dash.

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
There is a reason that they have things like "Heads Up Display" and that is to keep your eyes on the road. Where they are now is just poor design. I am 100% positive they will not remain there in the production car.
As was previously said... In Lutz's video blog he listed that as a feature that was integral to the styling of the car. I feel they're there to stay.

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/podcast/CamaroConcept.m4v
Watch the video from 8:31 to the 10 minute mark. After that you may not be nearly as positive.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:29 PM

Well I saw that video and I know he said it was an "essential feature" but I just can't imagine that. I will downgrade my prediction to 95%. The only way I can see it is if the gauges are for things like volts and..................I can't think of anything else. There would have to be a redundant digital gauge in the main cluster too, I would think. I mean, what gauges would you put down there? I want things like fuel, oil pressure, and water temp right in my face so I can monitor them closely. It may not be a big deal for a factory V6 car but if there are mods on that Z28, you will want that stuff where you can see it all the time.

If you go by that video, it seems that the retro interior will stay as well as that "traditional" grill.

Last edited by SNEAKY NEIL; 01-12-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:08 PM

Thumbs up Re: Gauges ON the dash.

I myself like the gauges on the console. I don't remember anyone complaining about them on the 69. To me it is paying respect to the 69 as does the roofline and quarter panel louvers in front of the rear wheels. I agree with Bob Lutz, It is an intregal part of the styling.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Banned

You know the only thing I don't like about the interior is the radio...it looks like crrrraaaaaapppp. Am I the only one seeing a BIG problem with sliding an aftermarket unit in there? I don't know about you guys, but factory radios are the first thing to go in my cars.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:32 AM

personally i never really liked the layouts in the first gens, i found them hard to read. and if i find them hard to read, i can only imagine what the rest of my non-car friends would think.

i personally wish that they did more updating on the interior - do the dual gauges on the dash, but maybe give them more functionality with combo gauges or something, not entirely sure what. have you guys seen the covansclassic aftermarket gauges for classics?

i think covans hit the nail on the head when they "re-did" the camaro dash. it's sporty, has room for all the important gauges, retains the original feel with the two big gauges left/right, and is completely functional and easy to read.

Last edited by burningsquirrels; 01-13-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:05 AM

they look like they'd be a dirt magnet. Fine for a 69 that sits in the garage all the time, but not so good on a daily driver that's going to see it's share of dirt.

I'd much rather see something that looks like a more modernized 4th gen interior... say a toned down C6 interior with just a little bit of a retro look to it... maybe brushed stainless gauges and some brushed stainless trim.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:08 AM

I like the 67/68 dash, its one of my favorite parts of the first gens. I hope they go with the concept layout, but change the colors around. I don't mind them down low and I'm sure autometer will have an A-pillar pod if you need to monitor things that closely.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:48 AM

Guages should be near eye level. To have guages on the console is really ergonomically incorrect - there is no good reason to have them there.

Forget the past on the interior... give us something functional and tasteful. The instrumentation and console design doesn't have to be whacky, just non-offensive. Keep it simple!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Guages should be near eye level. To have guages on the console is really ergonomically incorrect - there is no good reason to have them there.

Forget the past on the interior... give us something functional and tasteful. The instrumentation and console design doesn't have to be whacky, just non-offensive. Keep it simple!
and practical! where would cup holders go? or other various slots to put stuff in. It needs to be a practical interior that is ergonomically designed, remember if the bulk of ppl (v6 buyers) dont like the interior and like that of the mustangs theyll go to ford
Old 01-13-2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
if it were up to me id scrap the whole damn interior. i hate retro interiors with a passion
Old 01-13-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Well I saw that video and I know he said it was an "essential feature" but I just can't imagine that. I will downgrade my prediction to 95%. The only way I can see it is if the gauges are for things like volts and..................I can't think of anything else. There would have to be a redundant digital gauge in the main cluster too, I would think. I mean, what gauges would you put down there? I want things like fuel, oil pressure, and water temp right in my face so I can monitor them closely. It may not be a big deal for a factory V6 car but if there are mods on that Z28, you will want that stuff where you can see it all the time.

If you go by that video, it seems that the retro interior will stay as well as that "traditional" grill.
I think you're completely correct about having redundant gauges or something similar to an idiot light in the information area between the gauge pods. I don't believe it's the optimal set up, but due to what Lutz has to say, I think they're here to stay. Fuel I could also see down there without a problem. Fuel level doesn't change fast enough to worry about having to look at it every 30 seconds.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)

Just as a comparison, check out the interior shots of the new Infiniti G35 coupe concept which is also at the show:
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti...upe/Photos.htm

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
and practical! where would cup holders go? or other various slots to put stuff in. It needs to be a practical interior that is ergonomically designed, remember if the bulk of ppl (v6 buyers) dont like the interior and like that of the mustangs theyll go to ford
I agree with the need for cupholders... that was my biggest gripe about the thirdgen's I owned. I'm happy with the cupholders in the 4th gen, although they vary rarely get used
Old 01-13-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by sselie
Just as a comparison, check out the interior shots of the new Infiniti G35 coupe concept which is also at the show:
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Infiniti...upe/Photos.htm

Best regardSS,

Elie
i like that! the guage pod clust is nicely designed, although the guages look like thy might blind you