2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Cold Air Intake?

Hello:

I am scouring the forums to get a consensus.
I am a newbie when it comes to Camaros. My last car was a Ford Focus and I upgraded this year to a '10 SS and now I want more power.

My friends tell me a cold air intake is the way to go (cheap price, good power). I did some research and came across this company (www.fastlaneturbo.com) and their Pipeline Cold Air Intake.

It seems decent but I want to get a second opinion. Does anybody know about this company and their cold air intake? I am scouring the forums to get a consensus.

Here is a blurb from their website. Thanks!

This is a massive 4” true cold air intake that draws air from the lower grill opening of your 2010 Camaro. The “Pipeline Air Intake” provides two key benefits for your Camaro. The first being that the system scavenges cool air from below the vehicle rather than hot “under hood” air, that provides lower air inlet temperatures and cooler air that carries more oxygen into the engine. This translates into a more intense combustion process creating more horsepower and torque. Secondly, the system benefits from a “ram air effect”- when driving down the road providing more air into the engine helping it “breathe” better. The system features 4” aluminum construction, CNC machined MASS Air Flow Meter flange, the intake integrates with the factory PCV system, and an Oil-Free lifetime dry air filter. The System requires simple one bolt relocation of windshield washer reservoir. All parts are included with “The Pipeline Air Intake”. This intake is now two mandrel bent pieces.

This kit will also work with Magnusson Superchargers as well.

Power Increase = 15 RWHP

Labor Time = 1.5 Hrs

*For best performance and optimal RWHP, an ECM Flash is required. Click here to add Custom Dyno Tune 2010 Camaro SS

*Power Increase = 30 RWHP w/CAI & Tune

Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 AM

You know, in my opinion. An intake is an intake is an.....etc etc. Maybe I should rephrase that. If you are looking at a 3" intake, then they're kind of all the same. If the metal is good quality, I wouldn't going for it. I wouldn't buy it, however, if you can't fit a K and N on it, but that would be absurd for them to do, so I'm guessing it's good.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:13 PM

dont look too hard into an intake. their all pretty much the same +/- a HP. LMR has a good intake that is cheap and on the higher end of the hp #'s. i have an airaid intake. cost about 300.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:55 AM

I would recommend a Poly vs a metal one if you are looking for HP...The metal (unless wrapped) gets pretty hot so your sensor will read that temp. The platic or poly ones dont get as hot...

It's up to you, do you want a little more performance or looks...

We design and carry both.

Thanks
J.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

Pick the one that has the best quality filter, looks good, and is the price you want. That method of selection will provide more enjoyment than pulling your hair out to find which one has 1/10 of a HP increase in a +/- 2% throttle window at a cost of $100 more.

In fact, I would simply ignore HP numbers completely. That can be calculated a number of different ways and some are hilariously high.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Make sure you don't void any warrenties either.....
Old 06-01-2010, 07:30 AM

another tip for intakes.....buy the one with the least amount of bends and shortest distance from the filter to the throttle body.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
another tip for intakes.....buy the one with the least amount of bends and shortest distance from the filter to the throttle body.
A.K.A., me acquiring my intake pipe off of eBay and then putting a K and N filter on it. 1 small bend and very short. Doesn't really do much for the "cold" part of the intake since it isn't very long and doesn't extend down a whole lot, but air flows like "no manana."
Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 AM

All good advise, I looked at the kits that draw air from down low But, what else do they draw in from down low I wondered? Dirt and dust maybe? rain off the traffic in front of me maybe? I went with roto-fab, love it.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM

I would recommend ADM, Cold Air Inductions, and Roto-Fab. The first two a closed-box designs and have shown very good results and look nice too. The third is sealed by the hood like most and also has shown good results and looks great IMO! It comes in any color! Check out Jannetty Racing. They have tested them all on the same car for great reference and they are also great to buy from.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2010, 05:09 PM

I jst bought a 4 inch intake from CGS Performance Products and am really happy with it. It has mandrel bends and 4 inch pipe.

Hope that helps
Old 07-01-2010, 06:44 AM

anyone get the feeling this guy was just advertising that intake? i dont think hes ever returned.......
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Re: Cold Air Intake?

We've got a wide selection of intakes when you are ready. I agree with the others - they are all about the same and unless you're racing for money and have access to a wind tunnel for real testing, you won't ever see big gains on one versus the other in daily use.

We're a proud forum sponsor, have been supporting GM and Camaro fans for almost 13 years, and have a HUGE selection of intakes and everything else. Better yet, our low price guarantee is the best in the business and on top of that, we offer reeward points with each purchase that you can redeem for future cash discounts (assuming you sign up for a login during checkout)...Come and check us out sometime:

2010-2011 Chevy Camaro Accessories Store