2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the tail lights LED?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:49 AM

Are the tail lights LED?

Does anyone know if the tail lights are LED or standard bulbs? It's not mentioned in the Chevy Spec PDF's
Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 PM

Standard.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM

I'd love to have LED's I think they look really cool, but with the way these are setup and look.. I dont think we need em.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Give the aftermarket a little time. I've seen LED tail light and red halo kits for other vehicles, but I don't like the way they look. We ought to see various things like this come along fairly quickly.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

LEDs are still pretty expensive, so you're not going to see them on the less expensive vehicles yet. Ten years from now, everything will be LED.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
LEDs are still pretty expensive, so you're not going to see them on the less expensive vehicles yet. Ten years from now, everything will be LED.
I think I've seen Hyundai's with LEDs. Hardly a high level car. Hell my Motorcycle has LED tailights. I think LED's are fairly cheap. Especially to manufacturers buying in bulk. Plus they last for ever (practically). Seems like a no brainer to include them. Plus they are brighter, and trendy.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 AM

2010 Mustangs rear lights are all LED
Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 AM

That will be one of my first mods

after blowing their doors off, I want them to be blinded by wickedly bright tail lights so they can't read my plate number and call it into the cops. {joking}

Last edited by CosmicTrucker; 02-10-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: wink
Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
I think I've seen Hyundai's with LEDs. Hardly a high level car. Hell my Motorcycle has LED tailights. I think LED's are fairly cheap. Especially to manufacturers buying in bulk. Plus they last for ever (practically). Seems like a no brainer to include them. Plus they are brighter, and trendy.
Doing LED Tail LIghts and brake lights is different from doing LED turn signals. A lot of OEM's are doing the brake and tail and leaving the turn signal a bulb. This way, they can just use a simple circuit board.

The LED's aren't the expensive part. What is expensive is the federally mandated turn signal outage detection. You know when your bulb burns out, how the blinker blinks fast? That is a federal law that it does that. It is easy to get a flasher module to detect the current difference between two and one bulbs and make it flash fast. For an LED array, you have to detect as soon as the the lamp is out of compliance, which is usually when one LED burns out.

To do this detailed detection, the lamps have a seperate module on them. This module monitors the LED's, and sends a signal back to the Body Controller in the car that everything is OK, or if one LED goes out, it sends the signal back to flash fast. These modules by themselves cost more than a standard tail lamp, and when you figure in LED's, they can cause five or ten times as much.

That being said, it will be a while before OEMs start eating cost like that on base cars. Especially when they can get great looking lamps (like the Camaro has) using smart optical design.

-Geoff
Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by boomer78
2010 Mustangs rear lights are all LED
I am pretty sure they are using the Osram LED Bulb. Totally different from the stuff you see on the Cadillac's and other high end cars. Kind of a hybrid price-wise. Plus I think they still have a base non-LED lamp.

-Geoff
Old 02-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by christianjax
I think I've seen Hyundai's with LEDs. Hardly a high level car.
Time to adjust your impression of Hyundai. They're building cars these days on the same level as Lexus and Infiniti. (that is to say, cars with great quality and reliability, but which don't interest me in the least)
Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Time to adjust your impression of Hyundai. They're building cars these days on the same level as Lexus and Infiniti. (that is to say, cars with great quality and reliability, but which don't interest me in the least)
Then no adjustment is needed. I wouldn't own a Hyundai, Lexus, Infiniti, Toyota, Honda, Nissan if I won one in a bet. I'd toe it down to my nearest GM dealer and get a REAL car. But at least some of those cars have LED tail lights.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 AM

Camaro should have LED tail lights.
Malibu LTZ has LED brake lights, priced at 26k
The CTS has LED tail lights, priced at 32k.
Its one of my biggest pet peves about the car. Small, but its one of thoes detail things that bother me. Like the guage font and how its displayed on the IP, this is the same.
I really wish that it had them, but I can get over it.
I would have liked to see it with the RS package, would have sealed the deal on the RS package for me.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:36 PM

I think that Cadillac makes the best LED's. I don't wanna a nastly looking LED, some of the new cars I've seen with LED's have made them look ugly.

The 4g camaro LED aftermarket lights are garbage, they look terrible. So as long as the 5g taillights look decent, which they do, I'm fine with no LED's.