2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.i.p. Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
well couldn't they make a "working man's" version of the LS7? Call it the WM7.
I'm right with you on this. I think the LS7 is amazing, but if I couldn't get it in a Camaro from the factory, it would still be cool to have some kind of 7.0 liter engine in the car.

Just having a modern, ls-based 427 cu. in. motor in the Camaro from the factory would freaking rock.

Its still months before the SS becomes available, maybe we'll have a hint on the Z by then.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:00 PM

well couldn't they make a "working man's" version of the LS7? Call it the WM7.
I think that is called the LS3 and it sounds like we are lucky to have it.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:31 PM

FWIW, The current Hot Rod has a GM crate engine thrash in a 69 Chevelle. They priced the LS3 crate motor at $6200, whereas the LS7 was about $13k.

GM Performance Parts does offer an upgraded hot cam version of the LS3 with 480hp. Perhaps if they can get it to pass 50-state emissions that version could be used in a Z/28 Camaro. However personally I rather see the LSA.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 PM

The Sky is falling, he Sky is falling!!!

Good Lord folks, read what is being said not what you think is being said. So, Mr. Lutz pooh-poohed the Supercharged vesion of the car. He didn't say there won't be a Z28.

And Scott is right on target. This is a tough time for the auto industry. Everything is up for review. It still doesn't mean the possibility of a Z28 is dead. There is still hope here.

I would also encourage everyone to get a bit more realistic in what you expect for a Vehicle sold to the General Public. With all of the pressure on to make safer and more environmentally friendly vehicles, quite literally we will all have to rethink our perceived needs.

To be competitive, GM won't be putting out the types of vehicles we saw in the late '70s and early '80s. It would be suicide.

However, we also won't see Lambroghini's for $40,000 either. It ain't gonna happen.

I agree with one of the posters I read today, what would be so terrible if you had a high performance vehicle with hybrid technologies or other emerging technologies which was capable of 30+ mpg?????

That, to me at least, would be the equivalent of the Manhattan Project (if you don't know what that was - I suggest you GOOGLE it).

Just think 0-60 in 5.0 seconds and a sub 13 sec quarter mile and 32 mpg. Sounds darn good to me.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
FYI: Unless it gets titanium rods and forged pistons, a pulley change will equal cracked pistons and bent rods.

The LSA is pretty well maxed out from the factory. The LSA is not the LS9.
It wasn't maxed out during testing where they supposedly changed the pulley out on the Z28 and were pumping over 600hp thru it.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
FYI: Unless it gets titanium rods and forged pistons, a pulley change will equal cracked pistons and bent rods.

The LSA is pretty well maxed out from the factory. The LSA is not the LS9.
i don't think titanium rods would be NECESSARY, some regular forged H beam or I beam rods would be fine, but i agree, those hyper pistons and powdered metal rods are a weak link for sure. i don't know why anyone would want an LSA in a Z28, i think they are already pushing the components as it is in the LSA in standard form.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I think that is called the LS3 and it sounds like we are lucky to have it.
Not really. Yes we are VERY lucky to have the LS3. (that's the motor that I personally was hoping for) But it is not the same as a 427 CID lump. I think that if they used less expensive parts in the "Working Man's LS7" they could easily produce a reliable 450hp 7 liter engine that they could use in the Camaro (and even in the G8 GXP and various Caddys)
Old 09-04-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
It wasn't maxed out during testing where they supposedly changed the pulley out on the Z28 and were pumping over 600hp thru it.
with hyper pistons and powdered metal rods, that is just playing with fire. i still can't fathom how gm would cut corners like that and not offer a real bottom end on a boosted car. and a caddi at that!!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Prominent Member

I'd rather they spend the $$ on lightening and suspension/brake upgrades......I'll make it go fast.....
Old 09-04-2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Greenrail
That, to me at least, would be the equivalent of the Manhattan Project (if you don't know what that was - I suggest you GOOGLE it).

Just think 0-60 in 5.0 seconds and a sub 13 sec quarter mile and 32 mpg. Sounds darn good to me.
your saying a sub 13 second hybrid camaro is the equivalent to secretly building and testing an Atom Bomb? are you for reals?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:39 PM

Not really. Yes we are VERY lucky to have the LS3. (that's the motor that I personally was hoping for) But it is not the same as a 427 CID lump. I think that if they used less expensive parts in the "Working Man's LS7" they could easily produce a reliable 450hp 7 liter engine that they could use in the Camaro (and even in the G8 GXP and various Caddys)
FWIW - The LS7 puts out 505hp. A cam swap in the LS3 and you have 480hp. We really don't need a 7 liter small block to improve upon the "base" Camaro SS.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
your saying a sub 13 second hybrid camaro is the equivalent to secretly building and testing an Atom Bomb? are you for reals?
of course it's the same!! how do you not see it??
Old 09-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
FWIW - The LS7 puts out 505hp. A cam swap in the LS3 and you have 480hp. We really don't need a 7 liter small block to improve upon the "base" Camaro SS.
I know the LS7 puts out 505hp, I was saying that if they had to use cheaper parts and mass produce it instead of hand build it, then they could produce a 7 liter that puts out at LEAST 450hp reliably. THEN you can cam swap and you are right back up there with the Z06 version. But honestly, not too many of us are willing to swap cams in a brand new car with a powertrain warranty. I'd rather GM build the 450hp for me. (and I'm pulling 450hp out of my *** by the way, it could realisticly be more)

Last edited by christianjax; 09-04-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
Of course I am exaggerating a bit here. However, the need to rethink what and how we reach the perfomance levels we really want is going to take a major rethink on the part of the industry and the consumer.

To me after over 100 years of Gasoline powered autos, this is going to be a huge change for the General Public. Is it tantamount to the Manhattan Project and the rush to solve the energy Crisis? Perhaps and Perhaps not?

Where will we be in 10 years. God forbid we end up with some of the junk we had to endure in the past. 170 HP Z28's with a strangled 305, Iron Duke 4 Cylinders - come to mind here.

Like it or not the way we think about automobiles is and will continue to change. Will they be Hybrids? Fuel Cell? Turbos? Diesels? Plug In's? There will be some interesting vehicles onthe Market in the not-too-distant future.

If you don't like that .... Sorry..... I won't however, engage in name calling or insulting people.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:34 PM

I know the LS7 puts out 505hp, I was saying that if they had to use cheaper parts and mass produce it instead of hand build it, then they could produce a 7 liter that puts out at LEAST 450hp reliably. THEN you can cam swap and you are right back up there with the Z06 version. But honestly, not too many of us are willing to swap cams in a brand new car with a powertrain warranty. I'd rather GM build the 450hp for me. (and I'm pulling 450hp out of my *** by the way, it could realisticly be more)
And what I am saying is GM already builds a crate motor version of the LS3 with the cam swap (LS376/480) that puts out 480hp. It actually retails for about the same price as the regular 430hp LS3 crate motor. Just certify that engine for 50-state emissions and you have almost LS7 power for 1/3 of the price.

Quick Reply: R.i.p. Z/28