2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.i.p. Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

Look -- we don't talk about future product plans --

Do you think we'd take a hallowed name such as Z28 and put it on something else???????

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT'S NOT DEAD???????????
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=98

Straight from the horses mouth. As others have said, it's not dead, just being refocused/put on hold. SilverSS makes a great point about GM bringing out smaller, fuel efficient vehicles first to offset less fuel efficient vehicle like a Z/28 that might be in the pipeline.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
Yeah, I'm sure GM was watching CZ28.com and they were just waiting to punish us.

[Bob Lutz]: "I swear if I hear one more thread on CZ28 with those damn enthusiasts whining about GM making a 550 HP Z28, I'm cancelling the damn car."

Hey, it's how billion dollar businesses make their decisions. Search the internet looking for whiney enthusiasts, and if they whine too much, punish them.

Yeah because we don't have a higher up in Gm that posts on here all the time, or had members of this forum go up to Detroit to give their impression and insight into what the Camaro should be and active in the process of getting this thing to market. Yeah your right they obviously don't listen to anything we say on here.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
Yeah because we don't have a higher up in Gm that posts on here all the time, or had members of this forum go up to Detroit to give their impression and insight into what the Camaro should be and active in the process of getting this thing to market. Yeah your right they obviously don't listen to anything we say on here.
I believe CIVIC was being sarcastic.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 PM

I'd love to see a Z28 that runs on gas/electricity.

Anything under 50% throttle is pure juice and over 50% it uses juice and gas. That would boost fuel economy...with a weight penalty.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gripenfelter
I'd love to see a Z28 that runs on gas/electricity.

Anything under 50% throttle is pure juice and over 50% it uses juice and gas. That would boost fuel economy...with a weight penalty.
Now that would be a changeup... Z/28 known to 8 cylinder combustion monster to be tame to a gentle plug in hybrid version. Gutsy but I like it.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:31 PM

Right. Here's your quote smart guy:

The amount of whining on this forum complaining about a supercharged 550+hp Z28 probably didn't help either. Thanks ****ers! Instead of getting something special and godly powerful we get one choice, Vanilla. Definitely picking up a Vette now if this is true. At least I won't have to wait 3-4 years for it now.
So what you're saying that GM is watching CZ28, saw people complaining about a supercharged 550+ HP Z28, and decided NOT to make it available for sale because they didn't like the "whiners" on CZ28? Yeah that's a realistic statement. I'm so sorry if you're offended that I think your statement is far from reality and downright stupid.

"Yep - damn those whiners on CZ28! Let's give 'em one choice - VANILLA. Yeah that'll teach those bastards. Damn Camaro enthusiasts with their crazy Camaro enthusiasm...." - Bob Lutz (in his chateau while sipping fancy wine in his fancy robe, laughing in a sinister tone)
Old 09-03-2008, 03:37 PM

They just need to take an SS, remove a bunch of the luxury items, drop in the LS7, and call it the Z/28.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM

The only thing I read is that there won't be a 600 HP, supercharged Z/28.

He didn't say there wouldn't be a Z/28.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by HuJass
They just need to take an SS, remove a bunch of the luxury items, drop in the LS7, and call it the Z/28.
Put this guy in charge...
Old 09-03-2008, 04:09 PM

That's what I've been sayin' too!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:51 PM

I would be ecstatic about an SS just with the LS7 in it instead of the LS3 as the Z28.

I know I going to hold out until the official, final word is given about the Z28 before I purchase any new car.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
I agree with the above entry.

Plus, if GM doesn't make it the way you want it, the aftermarket should be plentiful. Trust me on this one.
It makes sense.
Why should GM put all this money into developing more power and holding a warranty to it when Roush, Saleen, etc. will do it anyways. We could all get more out of the car if GM put that money to making it lighter.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Black5thgen
Lutz also said the Zeta platform was dead a couple years ago.
Bob Lutz has never.... and I repeat....N-E-V-E-R... said the Zeta platform was dead. Wherever you got that info, you need to throw it back in the garbage pile it came from.

The amount of whining on this forum complaining about a supercharged 550+hp Z28 probably didn't help either. Thanks ****ers! Instead of getting something special and godly powerful we get one choice, Vanilla.
Calling a 420+ horsepower car "vanilla" is downright silly. I'd wager that's a bit more horsepower than anything you're driving now.

Originally Posted by VladimirSteel
so i dont exactly get these cafe ratings... its manditory that they meet them, or they have to pay a gas guzzler tax if they dont?
It's the combined corperate average mpg of all vehicles a car company sells.

Each vehicle is tested and rated at a certain mpg rating. This number is NOT any of the numbers on your window sticker from the EPA. This is a number by a different agency that is actually on the pretty high side as far as fuel economy ratings go.

The other side of the equasion is how many vehicles are sold. In a company that sells, say, a million vehicles per year, a car that sells at a rate of 200,000 per year is going to have 10 times the impact on the company's CAFE rating than a vehicle in the same company that sells 20,000.

In a company like General Motors that sold 3.87 million vehicles last year, the 8,700 Corvette Z06s sold had pretty much no impact on GM's CAFE numbers, while the Impala that sold at least 250,000 models last year is going to impact GM's CAFE like a SOB.

The "Gas Guzzler Tax" is a totally different animal with nothing to do with CAFE. The "Guzzler Tax" is a tax applied to any car (trucks are exempt) that gets a combined EPA fuel economy below 22.5 mpg combined. American made cars that fall into that void are cars like SRT8-anything from Chrysler, Vipers, the now defunct Ford GT, the Shelby GT 500 and it's mega-powered spinoffs. These vehicles get hit with the tax, yet, these vehicles also sell in such miniscule numbers that they have virturally zero impact on CAFE standards.

Light trucks and SUVs don't pay a Gas Guzzler's tax, but their fuel economy (or lack thereof) will have a humongous impact on fuel economy since that is well more than half of what US automakers sell domestically.... and hence, the panic. Trucks had their own CAFE numbers to meet, but the new regs combine both cars and trucks together when figuring out future CAFE regs.

In 2007, all vehicles sold in the US averaged just under 21 mpg (cars alone were nearly 30!). If the issue was moving only cars to 40 mpg in 12 years, that would be no problem (despite how much resistance you see). But throw trucks in the mix, and it becomes a major problem.

It's easy to blame legislators because they are a collective, faceless organization. But the real problem is that 99.9% of the public don't understand anything about automobiles more than getting in and driving... and that goes for the officials we vote for as well. This goes for BOTH political parties and BOTH ends of the political spectrum (only a moron would overlook that).

But the fact is that we do have an oil addiction that essentially makes us borrow money from China to pay for oil we get from places that either don't like us or are unstable and are 1 coup away from turning against us. The obvious way around CAFE that would take the pressure off of car manufacturers is a gas tax that keeps gasoline at $4 or even $5 per gallon (perhaps using the money to pay off our catostrophic debt to China and other countries that's funding us). But that idea is essentially political suicide. The only other way is through CAFE, and IMO, it's the worst choice of the necessary evils.

The hawks are for it because less imported oil increases our security (as long as oil companies get more money to make up the loss via higher prices). Treehuggers love it because they think it means less pollution. Legislatures and Congress love it because it's an easy way to appeal to their own constituents on both sides.

This was probably a $50 answer to a $1 question, so, sorry if I went on a rampage.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
This was probably a $50 answer to a $1 question, so, sorry if I went on a rampage.
that was an awesome answer to something i had never understood. That explains everything, thanks a ton.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:47 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by GTOJack
Its only logical to kill the Z28 in order to save the Corvette. Take your SS Camaro to your local speed shop if you want 500+hp, because you arent getting it from GM.

mmmmmmmmmmm............no. Kill a Z28 to save a Corvette?

again I state: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........no

Quick Reply: R.i.p. Z/28