2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro VS Mustang sales

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:22 AM

Wow, i never knew the F-body got owned so bad by Mustang sales. Hopefully it'll be the other way around next year.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by johnny6
Wow, i never knew the F-body got owned so bad by Mustang sales. Hopefully it'll be the other way around next year.
Who cares the mustang is gay.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang_H8R
Who cares the mustang is gay.
Why...does it fornicate with other Mustangs?

Sorry...hate that phrase.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by johnny6
I think you read the list wrong?

The F-body owned the Mustang in all but the last few years and a scattered year or two.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:29 AM

To be completely fair you'd also have to add in Mercury Capri numbers on Ford's side as well.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
To be completely fair you'd also have to add in Mercury Capri numbers on Ford's side as well.
Awesome! Who's got the numbers....

While I think the Camaro and Firebird are far more similar than the Mustang and Capri, I think it perfectly fair to include them.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
I think you read the list wrong?

The F-body owned the Mustang in all but the last few years and a scattered year or two.
No, i didn't read the list wrong i'm just pointing out the fact that the F-body is 2 cars and the mustang is 1 car and the sales were still close. So lets see, 2 cars in production barely beat 1 car for 38 years in sales equals
Old 11-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bearcat Steve
guionM, thanks for posting the sales numbers. It certainly looks like f-body benefited from the "Smokey & The Bandit" movie in the late 70's.
You gotta talk to someone who was at least a teenager in the 70s, Steve.

When the fuel crisis kicked in, Camaros and Firebirds were on the same level as economy cars, and sales went up. Also, if you want, I can post numbers of Trans Am sales that show them virturally doubling every year starting in 1972.

Smokey & The Bandit came out in the summer of 1977 (the 1978s were already in production) using a car that was already popular in performance circles and was also already increasing in popularity.

A few months after Smokey & the Bandit came out, the 1979 cars (including the F-bodies) hit showrooms. While Camaro sales increased about 10,000, Firebirds increased 14,000. That was the true fallout of "Smokey & the Bandit".... plus selling out of the Black & Gold "Limited Edition" Trans Ams.

As with everything in the world, the more time goes by, the more myths and legends grow. Almost to the point of being unrecognizable to what actually took place. That movie imortalized the late 70s Pontiac Trans Am for future generations, but that movie came on the tail end of the 70s era of Trans Am popularity.

The infamous T/A 6.6 was starting to become hard to get only a year later, and for the '79 model year the left over TA 6.6s were saved for the "Silver" Anniversary edition. Also worth mentioning is that Firebird sales had dropped about 50% less than 2 model years after "Smokey & the Bandit", but had doubled every year the 6 years before then.

Last edited by guionM; 11-17-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
guionM, could you post a similar year-by-year breakdown of the sales numbers showing the F-body (including firebird) vs. Mustang.

Most people I know would include both the Camaro and Firebird when comparing the two and I think that is pretty fare. I bet the numbers look a little different when you look at it that way. Thanks.
If most people you know would lump both Firebird and Camaro together when measuring against Mustang, then most of the people you know would be wrong.

Chevrolet and Ford are singular divisions within their companies. Ford traditionally has had fewer dealers than Chevrolet, so there's already a built in advantage.

Finally, if we were to lump both F-bodies together, then we would completely change the subject. It would be corperate coupes against corperate coupes. Mustang could be lumped together with Cougars, Capris, and even some Thunderbirds since they ware all at one time or another essentially the same car, as would Barracuda and Challenger.

Did GM make more F body coupes than Ford made Fox body coupes? How did Chrysler E-cars compare with Falcon platform Mustang coupes?

It's always been Ford vs Chevrolet.

It's never been Ford versus Chevrolet + Pontiac... x Oldsmobile ÷ Cadillac - GMC qver the square root of Opel.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
You gotta talk to someone who was at least a teenager in the 70s, Steve.

When the fuel crisis kicked in, Camaros and Firebirds were on the same level as economy cars, and sales went up. Also, if you want, I can post numbers of Trans Am sales that show them virturally doubling every year starting in 1972.

Smokey & The Bandit came out in the summer of 1977 (the 1978s were already in production) using a car that was already popular in performance circles and was also already increasing in popularity.

A few months after Smokey & the Bandit came out, the 1979 cars (including the F-bodies) hit showrooms. While Camaro sales increased about 10,000, Firebirds increased 14,000. That was the true fallout of "Smokey & the Bandit".... plus selling out of the Black & Gold "Limited Edition" Trans Ams.

As with everything in the world, the more time goes by, the more myths and legends grow. Almost to the point of being unrecognizable to what actually took place. That movie imortalized the late 70s Pontiac Trans Am for future generations, but that movie came on the tail end of the 70s era of Trans Am popularity.

The infamous T/A 6.6 was starting to become hard to get only a year later, and for the '79 model year the left over TA 6.6s were saved for the "Silver" Anniversary edition. Also worth mentioning is that Firebird sales had dropped about 50% less than 2 model years after "Smokey & the Bandit", but had doubled every year the 6 years before then.
Trust me! I was well past my teens when the Smokie movie came out.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 PM

Seems to be a whole line of used Mustangs at our local Ford dealer.
Kinda like Harleys.