LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LT1 water pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:34 AM

LT1 water pump problem

I own a 1997 anivesary z28 that I got for $600 from my neighbor a year ago, all it needed was the head gaskets and a new radiator. After I installed the new set of felpro head gaskets with a set of ported heads, headers, cam, and 58mm TB the car runs great, it is very fast. My problem is that in one year I had to replace the water pump 5 times. The new pumps last only about 2 weeks or til I get on it hard (5000 to 6400 rpms) and they start leaking coolant from the vent hole. The car does not overheat and it runs great, but it is not cool to replace water pumps every 2 months. Anybody with the same problem?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Re: LT1 water pump problem

What pump are you replacing it with? Same every time?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 AM

I remember seeing where if you replace the cam and it doesn't not line up right or sticks out to far it will ruin the pumps. This is from years ago so maybe someone can explain it better.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:01 PM

Yup^

Make sure the notched line on the water pump coupler faces the block and you have a new clean set of o-rings (two) on the water pump drive gear. These are VITAL.

My original coupler had the teeth stripped clean out of it, suprisingly the drive gear teeth were still in good condition. Turned out the original o-rings had rotted away causing the coupler to wiggle around. Ruined my pump and the coupler. Leaving me stranded with an overheated car.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 01-16-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:37 PM

You also lube the two drive ends. The o-rings seal out the dirt and grime that eats up the coupling.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Ok, I'm new to the LT1 stuff, so when I took the water pump out the very first time for the head gasket replacement the coupler didn't have any o-rings in it, so I've been installing the new pumps with the coupler with out the o-rings. The cam I used was and old Accel 219 duration and .560 lift L98 roller cam that I took out of my 88 but it was modify ti fit the LT1 you know, longer pin and larger center hole to fit the opti spark dist. Where do I get pictures and part numbers for all the parts I need. I'm starting to not like LT1s. I have an old L98 in my 88 and never had this types of problems. By the way the last pump is an AC Delco one and it only lasted 3 weeks.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 PM

Question Re: LT1 water pump problem

Originally Posted by Tony Ocasio
Ok, I'm new to the LT1 stuff, so when I took the water pump out the very first time for the head gasket replacement the coupler didn't have any o-rings in it, so I've been installing the new pumps with the coupler with out the o-rings. The cam I used was and old Accel 219 duration and .560 lift L98 roller cam that I took out of my 88 but it was modified to fit the LT1 you know, longer pin and larger center hole to fit the opti spark dist. Where do I get pictures and part numbers for all the parts I need. I'm starting to not like LT1s. I have an old L98 in my 88 and never had this types of problems. By the way the last pump is an AC Delco one and it only lasted 3 weeks.
When you installed this "modified" cam ......... the step on the camshaft nose was cut and/or already there for the cam retention plate, correct????

You did re-install the cam retention plate, right???

Last edited by 97 6SPEED Z; 01-16-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 PM

The Accel cam was made for the factory roller cam blocks with the trust plate that prevents cam walk. The nose of this cam is cut the same as the LT1, the only difference is that the LT1 cam has a bigger hole in the center for the opti spark and also it has a longer pin and I had a machine shop repace it. Did I mention that I used an LT4 timing chain set? When I installed the cam everything look nice and line up perfect. Also the LT4 chain set line up pecfect. Have anybody use the electric pumps on daily driver cars? I drive 122 miles to work every day. Maybe I should just buy and electric pump.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Ocasio
Ok, I'm new to the LT1 stuff, so when I took the water pump out the very first time for the head gasket replacement the coupler didn't have any o-rings in it, so I've been installing the new pumps with the coupler with out the o-rings. The cam I used was and old Accel 219 duration and .560 lift L98 roller cam that I took out of my 88 but it was modify ti fit the LT1 you know, longer pin and larger center hole to fit the opti spark dist. Where do I get pictures and part numbers for all the parts I need. I'm starting to not like LT1s. I have an old L98 in my 88 and never had this types of problems. By the way the last pump is an AC Delco one and it only lasted 3 weeks.

http://shbox.com/ci/water_pump.jpg
What you have going on is highly irregular.

A new AC-Delco pump should last for years. Take look at the coupling. If highly worn and without o-rings, it might be wobbling and ruining the bearing in the back of the pumps.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 PM

EWP are used all the time by all types of drivers and cars. You could read forever on other threads and the ones that do it say it was worth it and they would do it again. Usually because of water pump issues.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Ok, how hard is to rebuild an LT1 water pump. I looked on ebay and I saw rebuild kids with premium bearings for $65. Should I rebuild the 4 weeks old AC Delco pump and install a new coupler with seals. I also have an oil leak and it must be the pump drive seal on the timing chain cover, I did installed it with out the special tool and everybody said that doing so will damage the seal. I ordered the special tool last night on ebay. Any thing else that I may need to get please tell me. Like I said before I new to this LT1 stuff and can use all the advice you guys can give me. Thank you!!!