Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

325/50/15 MT ET Street Radials-fitment help asap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 PM

325/50/15 MT ET Street Radials-fitment help asap?

95 Z28, Moser 9inch (stock width) UMI Control arms/panhard bar, adjustable torque arm, stock springs & shocks.

Wheels are Race Star Industries 15x10 w/ 7.5 backspace on rear

Tires are Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials 325/50/15

My bumper cover is rubbing my tires on the rear, just barely. Everywhere else around the tires there is about an inch clearance.
The tires also stick out about an inch or more outside of the fender and appear as if they would be sliced to bits the first time the rear end squats on a good launch.

Ive had a horrible day between electrical problems on my truck/trailer, being stranded at a friends last night with my car and trailer due to not having lights, and various other things, so after i discovered they were rubbing I called it quits for the day. If i would have messed with it any longer I would have taken a BFH to the windshield.

Ive seen plenty of pics, and had plenty of people tell me this combo will work on my car without any problems so iam just wondering if maybe iam missing something?
Even if i rolled the fender lips the tire would still be coming into contact with it, or atleast it looks like it.

Anyone here have this setup or any advice? Was going to go to the track friday after work for the first time since LAST MAY when I broke and I need to figure this out ASAP. my 275/45/17 street tires are pretty worthless on the strip

http://www.racestarindustries.com/gallery.html A little more than half way down the page, look for "1998 chevy camaro SS" its a black one pulling the front wheels up--I have the same wheel & tire combo as that one and supposedly that dude didnt have to modify anything.

I havent tried putting my fronts on yet.

Thanks for any/all replies, i NEED to hit the track this weekend its been sicne last MAY and iam going nuts here
Old 07-28-2011, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Re: 325/50/15 MT ET Street Radials-fitment help asap?

The M/T website shows those tires as 27.8" diameter. Should be close, but not necessarily hit. I run 28x10.5-15W ET Drags, and they are listed as 28.1" diameter. I had already moved the axle back a 1/4" with adjustable LCA's when I was running 28.0" QTP's, to keep them from rubbing on the front edge of the fender opening. With the M/T's I had to cut almost an inch off the leading edge of the rear bumper cover.

If you are close to rubbing already, it may be even worse as the tires grow at high speeds. After I had cut 1/2" off the cover, we ran it up to 140MPH on the chassis dyno, and the tires grew enough to still rub. That's when I increased the amount I cut off the bumper. But the radials should grow less than the bias-ply slicks.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03635a.jpg

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP04018a.jpg
Old 07-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Thanks for the reply Injuneer!
I do not have adjustable LCAs or panhard bar, just torque arm.

I probably should have cut some of the bumper cover for some extra clearance after looking at yours. Mine have enough clearance for maybe 2 quarters to fit between, and thats after tugging back on the bumper cover and re-screwing it into place.
I took it for a spin and stood on it a few times and it looks like it rubbed a little bit but nothing real major. Just on the fiberglass, not down to the metal (i BFHed the metal inside the inner fender even though it was not close to rubbing).

The fender lip seems to be fine, I rolled it over a little bit with a rubber BFH but not totally over. Just figured i'd take the edge off incase it did make contact.
Hopefully they wont grow as much with speed being as they are radials like you said. But if they do, I will keep my dremel with me in my truck and will be cutting it just like yours.

Thanks for the reply Injuneer and the pics, very helpfull!!!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:00 PM

I ended up cutting my bumper cover just like yours Injuneer, turned out great and is not really that obvious either.

Got 4 shakedown runs in tweaking things, still spinning some. Hooked on my 5th run and broke something in the 9-inch Got to the 12.50's but it has alot more left in it if I can get it to really hook I think.
Guess I have more work to do lol
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Administrator

The bumper cut really isn't noticeable. The one close up photo makes it visible, but most people dont even notice it. And yes, you do have to do the BFH mod the the metal point that is right behind the plastic cover.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:16 PM

A little BFH mods never hurt anyone Its not as scary as it sounds making these tires fit, and its deff. worth it.

Thanks again.