West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

[Texas] SB561 Repeal of front license plate law in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 AM

SB561 Repeal of front license plate law in Texas

It looks like they are tring to ditch this law so we dont have to run a front plate. Here is a link:

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...81R&Bill=SB561

the bill's author is Mike Jackson. We could write him in support....maybe it'd help.

I also found a petition here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/txplate/petition.html

Last edited by kd5icr; 10-05-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 PM

This is attempted and fails every single year. I'll believe it when it is actually signed by Rick Perry.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by DAVE00
This is attempted and fails every single year. I'll believe it when it is actually signed by Rick Perry.
Just because it fails doesnt mean quit.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 AM

Front license plate law

Just three weeks ago the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals upheld a man's 60 year sentence for possession of a controlled substance when cocaine was found in his car when stopped for not displaying a front plate. He claimed it was illegal search and seizure because his front plate was on his dashboard in compliance with the law. The court ruled the law states the front license plate is to be displayed "...on the foremost portion of the vehicle...", which is the front bumper. The display of his front plate on the front dashboard, visible through the windshield, was not in compliance with the letter of the law as "...the foremost portion...which is construed to be where the vehicle begins..." (Beaumont Enterprise, September (?), 2010). It would be a relief on Texas' state budget to require only the rear plate, eliminating 50% of the cost to produce a pair true enough but (and "but" is a contradiction)law enforcement along I-10 use whatever they can to stop suspected drug traffickers. I don't see the Texas Legislature taking this "tool" from lawmen. In point of fact, a law was quietly passed a few years back outlawing any rear license plate brackets to block the name of the state on that plate as another "tool". Ya gotta luv 'em.