West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

T-Top Flies off on highway.....

Old 03-10-2003, 10:02 PM

Exclamation T-Top Flies off on highway.....

Hi, I have a 2002 Onyx black Camaro SS with T-tops and recently my passenger side T-top flew off after getting on the freeway doing less than 60 Mph. When I heard the wind noise, I looked up and saw it roughly 15 feet above my car. Incredibly, my T-top did not shatter but is horribly scratched. When i went to pick it up, it was latched. Two weeks ago I went to the SLP customer appreciation day in Ennis TX and witnessed a T-top fly off during a race.

I have not spoken with Chevrolet about it yet because I want to have some other examples of this issue before hand. I have found some instances already. If you reply, could you please send me an email also, describing any similar cases you have had, or know of, and what types of vehicle(s) they were?

Thanks, I would really appreciate it.
Shane Saukko
San Antonio, TX
Old 03-10-2003, 10:48 PM

I had one blow off years ago, but I left it unlatched. I am 99% sure that I read that the one at SLP day was also unlatched. To be honest, unless your car is really twisted, I cannot see how one could just blow out when it is latched.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:38 PM

Possible that it "latched" when it came back down? How long had you been going 60mph?

I ALWAYS lock mine.
Ryan
Old 03-11-2003, 01:31 AM

Yeah, that was somethin at SLP Day lol. Luckily it came down on the track and not on the other guy racin him!

I almost lost a t-top a while back but it was my fault. I forgot to latch the driver side, and I was doin like 70mph w/ the windows down for a few miles w/ no problem, then i put the windows up and that musta adjusted the pressure or something and I hear this wind noise, look up, and my t-top is starting to fly off, I quickly reach up, grab it, pull it back down and latch it Close call!
Old 03-11-2003, 08:47 AM

I was accelerating and had just left the on ramp. The weather was freezing and had been cold for awhile. There were no recent passengers and I had not messed with the t-tops in two weeks.

I previously owned a 1983 Z28 with T-tops and no A/C. The T-Tops were taken off and on almost everyday. I owned the car for ten years and did not have any t-top issues.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:37 PM
K!D

I lost mine about 2yrs ago. It was latched, but it was not in properly, so it went bye, bye. Also it shattered into a million pieces
Old 11-30-2013, 09:58 PM

Re: T-Top Flies off on highway.....

guys i know u wrote those comments years ago its 2013 now ı m driving 94 camaro t top .today the t top on drıver side took off when i was driving and i cant tell u how happy i am that it changed its route to metal barriers on i 4 while there were tens of cars behind me .if it hit someone back there i cant imagine how many lost there would be .im so glad and thanksfull it did not happened .i only could find the plastic locking part of the top .i happened cos i left it unlocked .noone is perfect we sometimes make mortal and stupid mistakes like that god bless all