CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   V6 Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/)
-   -   What Intake, Headers, Exhaust, etc...? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/what-intake-headers-exhaust-etc-151018/)

67 LS-1 & T-56 01-18-2004 11:55 AM

Catback q'S

Hey guys I have a few catback questions for a female friend of mine. The car is a 99 3.8, auto, non-Y87. She wants to get started with a good catback, but Im trying to convince her that brand name isnt everything. HEr main concern is that her car sound good, and by good she means that she wants it sound more like an LT1 than a civic. Ive heard some catbacks on 3800s that sound pretty "ricey".

1. Which systems should we stay away from that dont provide a deep exhaust note? sh'll kill me if her car ends up sounding like a type R badged civic.:D

2. How do the SLP take off exhuasts sound? Are these actual LS1 SS exhuast systems? If so one would assume that they would be even quieter than stock, seeing as the factory would want to make the LS1 quiet.

3. How would welding an aftermarket muffler into the SS take off exhuast effect the exhuast note? Has anyone tried this? Im thinking flowmaster or Loudmouth.

thanks guys, Im glad sheridan is fianlly getting excited about modding thecar, so there will be more questions to come!

67 LS-1 & T-56 01-18-2004 11:36 PM

Anyone?

ok ok I get "do a search" I know how it works

deadmeat2004 01-20-2004 08:35 AM

when i was looking at some take off SS exhuast, i was told that the exhuast sounds good at low rpm, but when u really get after it then u lose all deep sound and u got ur Honda...I have a clip i think some where, that soume body sent me. Its just hard to find an exhuast that on the v6 sounds close to the v8 at high RPM. Im sure there is one out there that will keep the deep tone at high RPM. Its best to just ask people on here for sound clips so u can see what u like. But most all sound low and deep at low, and idle, rpms. Hope this helps a little, keep me posted!

67 LS-1 & T-56 01-20-2004 01:27 PM

Thanks!

We've found a WS6 take off with a flowmaster 80 series already welded on it. I appreciate the input, and Im really hoping it endsup sounding nice. The car is an auto with the 3.08 gears, so she probly wont be hitting the high RPMs very often. Does anyone have experience with this type of setup? Thanks

Also does anyone have any takeoff sound clips, or 80 series soundclips?

99blackSS 01-20-2004 06:25 PM

Flowmasters sound kind of raspy IMO on the 3.8l (I hear they sound good on 3.4s). I put a dynomax one inlet two outlet on my 98 A4 3.8l Camaro. Dynomax mufflers are in the same price range as flowmasters. According to the exhaust shop I had it installed at: the dynomax mufflers generally have more hp gains and a lower exhaust tone then flowmasters, making it not get as high pitched at the higher RPMs.

67 LS-1 & T-56 01-20-2004 10:09 PM

ers sound kind of raspy IMO on the 3.8l (I hear they sound good on 3.4s). I put a dynomax one inlet two outlet on my 98 A4 3.8l Camaro. Dynomax mufflers are in the same price range as flowmasters. According to the exhaust shop I had it installed at: the dynomax mufflers generally have more hp gains and a lower exhaust tone then flowmasters, making it not get as high pitched at the higher RPMs.
I've heard about the flowmasters, but since we're getting the takeoff with the 80 series I figure we'll try that out first, then pick up a dynomax if it doesnt sound right. You wouldnt happen to have a soundclip of yours would you?

99blackSS 01-20-2004 11:55 PM

Nope, sorry.
As often as sound clips are talked about, they are kind of rare. I searched here and camarov6.com and the only sound clip I found was of a WS6 take off exhaust on a 3.8l.
Bottom of this thread has a link to a sound clip of a WS6 take off exhaust on a 3.8l.

deadmeat2004 01-21-2004 09:03 AM

if you decide to take off the flows, please let me know before u get rid of them. PLEASE, i have a 3.4 and i might wanna try them on her.

deadmeat2004 01-21-2004 09:04 AM

99blackSS, do u still have that aooogga horn?

99blackSS 01-21-2004 07:14 PM

Originally posted by deadmeat2004
99blackSS, do u still have that aooogga horn?
lol
No. I was about to sell my car this summer and took it out. It was great though, no one could ever figure out which car it was comming from.

deadmeat2004 01-22-2004 08:29 AM

How much did u get yours for, and where at?! LOL, It would be would be soo funny to get one!

99blackSS 01-22-2004 04:50 PM

Originally posted by deadmeat2004
How much did u get yours for, and where at?! LOL, It would be would be soo funny to get one!
Pep Boys, it was around $20-$30. It was funny, my friends miss it a lot. Very easy to install. The instructions that come with it make it sound complicated but all you have to do is take out your old horn and connect the two wires from the new horn to the old wires. Then it works from the steering wheel just like your stock horn.

67 LS-1 & T-56 02-02-2004 07:00 PM

Okay the flowmaster was installed today and shes not exactly happy with the tone. Before she gets rid of it she wants to try a couple of other things. I told her a hiflow cat and headers are probably the way to go. I know everyone is using pacesetters for headers, but am I right in assuming that a hiflow cat may deepen the sound? thanks again.

00SilverStar 02-04-2004 11:27 PM

How are those pacesetter headers, i was looking at the rk sport ones, but the ps ones are alot cheaper.

anyone have them and can tell me what to expect.
Thanks

Frank

93Cam 02-07-2004 07:23 PM

headers and cat will help alot, a good resonator will help eliminate the drone.