V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

want advice on a 383 stroker build!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:28 AM

Exclamation want advice on a 383 stroker build!!

I have a 99 firebird and i want to do a complete overhaul on my car. I was wanting to put in a 383 stroker and possibly supercharge it, obviously put a new trans in it. looking for ideas and tips to make my car fast and mean. thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 04:08 AM

Re: want advice on a 383 stroker build!!

You really need to read more. Jumping into a performance rebuild is not an easy thing. Your going to need alot more then just a tranny upgrade. Driveshaft, 12bolt/9", subframe connectors, etc. Its one thing to just throw parts on your car, its another to build a motor. Look at rebuilding maybe a 355 stroker, something easier. A 383 will need obviously a new crank, I beams, pistons maybe. But running a 383 on the top end of your motor isn't really recommended. Look at maybe getting your heads port & polished.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:17 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 99firebirdbuild
I have a 99 firebird and i want to do a complete overhaul on my car. I was wanting to put in a 383 stroker and possibly supercharge it, obviously put a new trans in it. looking for ideas and tips to make my car fast and mean. thanks
The LT1 Based Engine Tech forum covers the LT1 engine used in the 93-97 V8 F-Bodys. Is your 99 Firebird a V6 or an LS1 V8. Let us know and I'll move your post to the correct forum. Or are you thinking about using an earlier LT1 engine in your 99?
Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 AM

Beyond what has already been said you seem to believe in displacement without understanding extra displacement needs to be supported with more head flow and cam. Realistically you can add a LOT of power with heads and cam withOUT ever considering adding displacement.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 AM

I realize it will take a lot more than just a better trans, thats why i wanted advice on other things besides that. and i have a 3.8 v6. Im also not planning on doing the work myself but taking it to american muscle shop. I'm just looking for ideas on what i should do with my car and iv seen a lot of stuff with 383 strokers. i was also wondering if i should just put a ls1 in their and supercharge it if that would be a cheaper option and get me around the same power. Thanks
Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 AM

No offense, but how old are you?
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM

im 20, why does that matter? If you don't want to give any advice then don't comment on my post. I just want to have a bad *** car like I'm sure anyone else does and thought maybe you guys would have some cool ideas but so far its seeming pretty pointless
Old 07-10-2012, 12:03 PM

I only asked your age because your posts and questions are indicative of someone new or ignorant to the realm of having a fast car. I meant no offense.

I suggest that instead of asking for parts and such you develop a better understanding of what it takes to properly stroke a motor, properly build a motor for boost, the science of a matched valvetrain, and how much money it takes to properly do each of those things.

You should start with a goal (be it HP or ET) then find a car/combo that duplicates those numbers, then see what that particular person used to get to that point.

Of course all of this is solely dependent on your budget. And if you're looking at using boost to achieve those numbers you're looking at 5 digits easy.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Im looking to spend around 8k and again I'm not doing the work myself so i don't need to know everything about the car. I'm looking for info such as the headers i should use and if i should use a high flo cat or just eliminate the cat all together. also things like the gear ratio i should use, because i would like it to be easy to drive around on the streets. Iv looked at supercharged trans ams and would pretty much like to do the same thing just wondering what i could do to get some extra hp out of what engine i choose
Old 07-10-2012, 12:17 PM

If paying labor for everything $8K is not going to go far I would think it a stretch to get a bolton V8 in there for that budget paying labor.

Sell what you have pool that money with the $8k and buy a mildly modified car.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:18 PM

This forum is very straight to the point. The reason we ask your age is that generally us younger guys tend to just want a fast car, throw parts/money at it till it runs 10 sec/ quarter miles.

Unfortunetly it doesn't work that way. A 383 stroker in terms of this forum are for the LT1 and the LS1, which strokes its 350 displacement to 383. Your 3.8L is a GEN 3 3800 motor. Try fullthrottlev6.com, that forum has a ton of information for the 3.8, this forum is geared more toward v8 performance.

Do your research before you mod your car. Do it right the first time. The 3800 has been around since the dark ages and is a DAMN strong motor
Old 07-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Im pulling my motor and replacing it, I'm not modding my v6. and if i already have the parts that i want to do my modification it won't take 4k to have them put it in.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 99firebirdbuild
Im pulling my motor and replacing it, I'm not modding my v6. and if i already have the parts that i want to do my modification it won't take 4k to have them put it in.
Unfortunately you're sadly mistaken.

I suggest if you want a fast car and you can afford it by FAR the best bang for the buck would be something like my car (which is for sale).
Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Unless you have a complete donor car, a motor swap isn't recommended. I'm not doubting your mechanical skills, but by your first post I don't think you have what it takes. Its much more than the motor, its motor, tranny, driveshaft, then you have to worry about having a computer that will control your motor
Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 PM

i like how your car runs but i don't like the old style trans am, only 98 and up. Okay lets try this way. Lets say i have a 99 ls1 trans am with an unlimited supply of money. what should i do and where should i start to make it a lot faster. exhaust, headers, cams anything useful would be nice to know. other than that just don't bother posting and telling me how i need to do research and can't afford it, just give me advice on the car. thanks

Quick Reply: want advice on a 383 stroker build!!