V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

urgent car problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 06:19 PM

Angry urgent car problems

ok well my 3.4 is having some problems it idles pretty steady buthas a miss lacks power and blows white smoke that smells like gas like a mother ****** i was wondering if someone can help me figure it out i tried everything i could think of like plugs wires coils could it be the fuel pressure regulator or something like that
Old 03-12-2006, 09:47 PM

Re: urgent car problems

Originally Posted by 94_camaro_v6
ok well my 3.4 is having some problems it idles pretty steady buthas a miss lacks power and blows white smoke that smells like gas like a mother ****** i was wondering if someone can help me figure it out i tried everything i could think of like plugs wires coils could it be the fuel pressure regulator or something like that
white smoke is usually indicative of coolent in the combustion chamber. it could be as "simple" as a head gasket needing replacement or as "complicated" as a cracked block.

unless you want to take it to a machenic for diagnosis or start taking the engine apart yourself, there's no way (that I know of) to know for sure what exactly the problem is. but somehow, water is getting into the combustion chamber.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:59 PM

ok but if it was a head gasket wouldn't it over heat?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:08 PM

normaly with a blown head gasket it does over heat but there are rare ocasions to where a blown head gasket won't cause an overheating issue. But it coudl be an intake manifold gasket gone out on you.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:30 PM

ok well my 3.4 is having some problems it idles pretty steady but has a miss lacks power and blows white smoke that smells like gas like a mother ****** i was wondering if someone can help me figure it out i tried everything i could think of like plugs wires coils could it be the fuel pressure regulator or something like that
Are you sure its white? White smoke is actually steam and could be a head gasket or warped heads. Are you loosing coolant? Do your plugs look like they been steam cleaned? If so you know whats going on.

You said it had a miss and smelled like gas. Are you sure its not grey smoke which would be running rich or unburned gas. When were your plug wires and plugs last changed? It could be a bad coil pack causing your miss but I dont know how to check them. Is your SES light on? Im sure someone with alot more knowlege could help more but I thought Id throw some suggestions your way...
Old 03-14-2006, 11:16 AM

your right it is grey i just changed the the coils and plugs the ses light comes and goes could it be a egr because it is smoking from there to and i tood it off and it looks like **** and a little rusty
Old 03-14-2006, 03:38 PM

your right it is grey i just changed the the coils and plugs the ses light comes and goes could it be a egr because it is smoking from there to and i tood it off and it looks like **** and a little rusty
If you can get to autozone while its on they will read your trouble codes for free. Sounds like you may be onto something. Also you may be interested in this thread.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78028
Old 03-14-2006, 11:32 PM

i have one more question the idler pulley is mess up and its lets the belt hop around could that have anything to do with the way it is messing up because if it is slipping doesn't that mean the cam and crank sensors not goin to be able to work right??? i dunno all i can think of its starting to **** me off let me know
Old 03-15-2006, 12:08 AM

i have one more question the idler pulley is mess up and its lets the belt hop around could that have anything to do with the way it is messing up because if it is slipping doesn't that mean the cam and crank sensors not goin to be able to work right??? i dunno all i can think of its starting to **** me off let me know
Well one things certain, that idler arm needs to be fixed. You have a 3.4 but on my 3.8 all that is attached to my belt is Power Steering, AC, Water Pump, Alternator, and the crank. I suppose maybe not turning the alternator as well as it should may have a little effect but it wouldnt be my first suspect. I would think Crank to cam would be chain driven.

You may consider a can of BG40 especially if you never used it. Maybe cleaning the throttle body. Id wonder if the MAF sensor is bad and telling your car to run richer.

These are just ideas. Please verify what I am saying before you spend any more money. Plug wires and coil pack I would think would have helped regaurdless. Also if there are multiple problems get a good idea money wise of what its going to take. Dont spend more than that motor is worth. If you definately know what parts you want, get the GM part numbers. Here is a site I really like with good prices. If you find a better one let me know.

www.gmpartsdirect.com
Old 03-15-2006, 03:49 PM

ok well i changed the idler arm and and plugs again and it idled pretty good still alittle miss no smoke but when i drove it around the block it loaded up again fouled the plugs with gas and started to smoke could it be the fuel pressure regulator or what let me know thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 03:54 PM

o yeah it was ok until i tried to get into it alittle then went to ****
Old 03-19-2006, 11:25 PM

ok well i changed the idler arm and and plugs again and it idled pretty good still alittle miss no smoke but when i drove it around the block it loaded up again fouled the plugs with gas and started to smoke could it be the fuel pressure regulator or what let me know thanks
Yeah it could be. The regulator could cause problems or it not to run at all. I wouldnt have the first idea on how to check it. I heard a similar problem listening to Gosses garage with pressure regulator as a possible. You may want to ask him. Here is his email.

patgoss@goss-garage.com

I was hoping someone with more knowlege and experience could diagnose it.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 03-19-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:39 PM

Check your fuel pressure.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:11 PM

I would also say check the fuel pressure and go to autozone and have them check for codes. you also might want to check the coil packs. that is why I say check for codes, it should at least tell you where the misfire is and then you can work from there. I know I had a coil pack go out on my 3.8 and it did kinda the same thing no smoke but choking and backfiring.