V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Do I need a Camber Kit if I lower my Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 11:52 PM

Do I need a Camber Kit if I lower my Camaro?

I have 18" on my car and planning to use lowering springs, maybe about a 1.4 inch drop. Someone told me at work that I will need to get a camber kit so the tires wont cave in. Is this true? If so where can I get this so called camber kit?
Old 03-22-2005, 07:37 PM

Re: Do I need a Camber Kit if I lower my Camaro?

don't konw if you need them for sure but if your doing to work yourself just get a kit and install them anyways that way when you go get your car aligened you won't have to pay extra money to have the kit installed. And probably any decent autoparts store should have them. And if none of them do go to a reputible autoshop and ask if you can buy a set from them for you car. Or if they can order one for you and pay them and pick it up at a later time.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by crasher88
don't konw if you need them for sure but if your doing to work yourself just get a kit and install them anyways that way when you go get your car aligened you won't have to pay extra money to have the kit installed. And probably any decent autoparts store should have them. And if none of them do go to a reputible autoshop and ask if you can buy a set from them for you car. Or if they can order one for you and pay them and pick it up at a later time.
Oh okay thanks, some told me I didn't need it unless I was really planning to drop my car. How much are camber kits for my car anyways? Should I buy shocks for my springs? Someone told me that I don't need it right away and I can install that later in the future. Is this true? What do you recommend I should do?
Old 03-23-2005, 01:37 AM

Okay, exactly what else do I need after I lower my car? Is there anything else I need to purchased beside just springs? Do I need brand new shocks with lowering springs?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:49 AM

I'm not sure about a camber kit but you WILL need an alignment. If the camber angles are too extreme an alignment might not completely correct it. Drop spindles are the easyest way to go if you plan on lowering your car. it will only lower the front, and you also will need an alignment but it will be the basic adjustments. You will also need an adjustable panhard rod and LCA relocation brakets to correct the rearend "alignment" or geometry. The LCA relocation brakets are available in bolt in or weld in flavors. An alignment should do the trick, though. Hope that helps....

Last edited by Bayer-Z28; 03-23-2005 at 08:51 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-23-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28
I'm not sure about a camber kit but you WILL need an alignment. If the camber angles are too extreme an alignment might not completely correct it. Drop spindles are the easyest way to go if you plan on lowering your car. it will only lower the front, and you also will need an alignment but it will be the basic adjustments. You will also need an adjustable panhard rod and LCA relocation brakets to correct the rearend "alignment" or geometry. The LCA relocation brakets are available in bolt in or weld in flavors. An alignment should do the trick, though. Hope that helps....
Sorry but what is drop spindles? Sounds cool and costless but to tell you the truth I don't know much about cars. Just recently learning little by little about my camaro. If you can help me by describe exactly what to do and buy and how much all the parts will cost. That's would be great, thank you so much for your reply back to my question. Dang I love this site...
Old 03-23-2005, 10:42 PM

I've never heard of drop spindles for F-Bodies. I have only heard of them for trucks. As for camber plates, there's enough adjustability in a 4th gen front suspension that you won't need camber plates, those are usually for strut only cars. 4th gen cars are upper/lower control arm cars, a camber plate wouldn't do much (as in nothing) for your camber adjustability. Just get a set of springs (Eibach are the normal flavor for most people) and decide how low you wanna go, install them, get aligned and you're on your way.

As far as the rear, when you lower it, you will more likely than not need an adjustable Panhard Rod (the rod that runs width wise with the rear axle) as your rear end will shift to the right when you lower the car. As far as rear lower control arm relocation brackets.. Some say they're useful, but I have found that the only way the adjust makes the car less than friendly. I don't use them on my car, but do have adjustable rear control arms.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rob(94Hawk#319)
I've never heard of drop spindles for F-Bodies. I have only heard of them for trucks. As for camber plates, there's enough adjustability in a 4th gen front suspension that you won't need camber plates, those are usually for strut only cars. 4th gen cars are upper/lower control arm cars, a camber plate wouldn't do much (as in nothing) for your camber adjustability. Just get a set of springs (Eibach are the normal flavor for most people) and decide how low you wanna go, install them, get aligned and you're on your way.

As far as the rear, when you lower it, you will more likely than not need an adjustable Panhard Rod (the rod that runs width wise with the rear axle) as your rear end will shift to the right when you lower the car. As far as rear lower control arm relocation brackets.. Some say they're useful, but I have found that the only way the adjust makes the car less than friendly. I don't use them on my car, but do have adjustable rear control arms.
Wow man thanks alot for that info, I'm totally relieved that I do not need a camber kit. So basically all I need is just the Eibach Springs right? Do I need shocks as well? If I do which ones should I get and how much are they? I have 18 inch rims on my car and you think 1 inch drop is good or should I go a little lower?
Old 03-24-2005, 07:50 AM

A 1 inch drop is fine with 18's. If you go lower than 1 1/2 you'll start to have problems with speed bumps and it will start to look ricey...Shocks depend on how much you want to spend. I have the stockers in mine and I have no problem with them. If you want them, they can get pricey. Personaly, I think a 1 inch drop looks very tastefull.
If you want, do some searching under lowering and see what people say about ground clearance, LCA relocation brackets....etc...that shoud give you an idea of where to go...PS..I also hear Intrax springs are good, too.

Yeah, I love this place too.....
Old 03-24-2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bayer-Z28
A 1 inch drop is fine with 18's. If you go lower than 1 1/2 you'll start to have problems with speed bumps and it will start to look ricey...Shocks depend on how much you want to spend. I have the stockers in mine and I have no problem with them. If you want them, they can get pricey. Personaly, I think a 1 inch drop looks very tastefull.
If you want, do some searching under lowering and see what people say about ground clearance, LCA relocation brackets....etc...that shoud give you an idea of where to go...PS..I also hear Intrax springs are good, too.

Yeah, I love this place too.....
Thanks alot man, where can I get the best price for Eibach Springs. The best price I've seen so far is on Ebay, is there anywhere else you know that will give me a great price?
Old 03-24-2005, 01:15 PM

I vote for Eibach ProKit springs, bilstein HD shocks, adj. panhard, and LCA Relo brackets. Adj. LCAs really aren't needed 95% of the time. This will greatly increase your handling & looks.

- Justin