CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   V6 Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/)
-   -   Rain Water getting in oil while parked!! (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/rain-water-getting-oil-while-parked-869139/)

Davinb56 09-20-2012 09:16 PM

Rain Water getting in oil while parked!!

Starting June/2012, every time it rains, plenty of water ends up in my oil while my car is parked. I first noticed it when I started my car one day during a heavy rain. Shook, sounded terrible, turned the car off after being on for 10 seconds max. Once the rain had stopped I checked the dipstick--milky looking, clearly water in the oil. Changed the oil myself and removed 13+ quarts of water/oil. There is also standing water on the drivers side rear front/rear floorboards. How could this be?

The following time it rained, I noticed 2-3" of standing water where my car was originally parked(moved it across the parking lot), which could explain how the water got in the oil the first time. After the rain stopped, I checked the dipstick, oil looked brand new. Before starting, I took the drain plug out and it was pure water at first, could have drank it if I were thirsty. No standing water this time, or anytime after. Still had 2+quarts of water each time though. I changed the oil/filter several times before buying a cheap car cover at Walmart 3 weeks ago. No more rain water in the oil!!!

However, yesterday I drove to the grocery store and on the way home and noticed a burning oil smell, looked at the gauges and my oil pressure was around 20. When I parked my car, I noticed a trail of oil--the oil filter was leaking oil. Changed the oil filter, started the car and now I have 0 oil pressure and the oil pressure sensor is leaking just above the oil filter!

Got a new oil pressure sensor at NAPA, waiting to replace it until its not dark.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

1999 V6 3.8L 5-speed manual. 117,000K Miles
Custom RK Sport hood w/scoop, T-Tops, drivers side door has been worked on a few times. Can't think of any other relevant causes of any of these symptoms.

8cylinders>4 09-23-2012 04:33 PM

Re: Rain Water getting in oil while parked!!

If the scoop on your hood is functional that would be the first place i would check

Davinb56 09-24-2012 06:43 PM

Well I've had the scoop since I started driving the car back in 2006. Drove for years without water getting in the scoop. Is there anything that would cause it to out of the blue? Scoop doesnt seem to be in any different physical shape so Im doubting thats the issue. What about the intake on the bottom of the windshield?

Ultra_Z 01-29-2013 04:01 PM

has coolant level changed? bad head gasket? if it's 100% sitting parked not running... what CAI kit do you have?