V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Whats my problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Whats my problem?

I have a 1995 3.4L manual camaro.
Recently the engine overheats and boils coolant out of the reserve when idling for 15ish minutes, its also leaking coolant somewhere...
In the past week ive replace all the gaskets, thermostat, and the water pump but it still over heats and the block isnt cracked either.
I dont know what it could be so i need some help
Also would it be worth to drop a couple grand on a v8 instead of messing around and potentially spending the equivalent on the current engine
Old 10-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Re: Whats my problem?

Does "replace all the gaskets" include head gaskets?

Is it possible the rubber overflow hose from the radiator, or the metal tube on top of the reservoir has a hole in it? That can cause loss of coolant, and prevents the vacuum that builds in the radiator as it cools down from pulling the coolant back in to fill the void in the radiator. Have you checked the pressure cap to see if it can hold 16-18 PSI?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Does "replace all the gaskets" include head gaskets?

Is it possible the rubber overflow hose from the radiator, or the metal tube on top of the reservoir has a hole in it? That can cause loss of coolant, and prevents the vacuum that builds in the radiator as it cools down from pulling the coolant back in to fill the void in the radiator. Have you checked the pressure cap to see if it can hold 16-18 PSI?
The headgaskets were replaced, i checked the hoses but there were no leaks, and the radiator holds pressure like it should, but again i have ran out of ideas.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Did you check the overflow line for leaks? When you pull the cap after the system is cooled down, is the radiator completely full? Does "holds pressure" mean 16-18 PSI? When the head gaskets we’re replaced, were the heads checked for flatness? Have you inspected the spark plugs for signs of coolant leakage? Sometimes the leaking coolant can make a plug look clean. Or you may have chalky deposits if you are running the older conventional coolant.