V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Looking for advice on 3.4L/3500 hybrid project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:15 PM

Looking for advice on 3.4L/3500 hybrid project.

Warning! ***LONG POST***

I just joined the site but I have been lurking on here for quite awhile and putting together a parts list for my 94 Camaro L32/3500 hybrid project, in my 2-door 1980 Chevette Scooter). It's a low-mileage, low-rust, garaged car that I took a Greyhound bus from Toledo to St. Louis to buy the car sight unseen and drove it back without a problem. I was very pleased with the condition and I paid $550 for the car in "daily driver" condition, the whole trip cost me about $750. Money well spent I say! Since then I have performed a full Car PC install with all the goodies. I put a 15" touchscreen LCD in the dash and notched (and reinforced) a hole in the back seat subframe to clear a modified MicroATX PC case with the seat foam modified to hide the PC completely. Everything else has been hidden under the new carpet kit. Since I had everything apart I decided to install power windows, locks, hatch release, alarm, 92 Cavalier steering wheel, 95 Sunfire buckets, modified 04 S-10 center console, 03 Grand-Am overhead console, 06 Cobalt wheels with 205/40-16's, and uncounted brake upgrades because Chevettes don't stop very well. Not to mention all the stuff I forgot, but this post is already getting long
And I haven't even started on body and paint, but I think that covers most of the background for now.

Now for the thread topic...

Most of this info has been covered before and I have read and re-read all of the relevant posts here and on other reputable 60 degree sites in order to avoid the typical "newbie first post". I am a former "mechanic" (read: parts changer for Firestone) years ago, and am now a PC tech by trade so I am familiar with many mechanical and electronic aspects of my build and I use Google as the research tool it was meant to be so please assuade any fears that I may be over my head or shooting from the hip. This is not my only vehicle and I am not working with a severely neutered budget (but I'm not rich either) nor am I operating under the false impression that I'll be the fastest thing on four wheels. I have performed a number of engine swaps in my day, all RWD and all carb'd. This is my first foray into fuel injection so I have been pouring over posts on many sites going back several years and have obtained EXCELLENT info from others pioneering the forefront of these swaps. Please consider the following build plan and please keep helpful, constructive criticism coming friends!

Here goes...

* Engine Donor - 1994 Camaro 3.4L L32 “S-code” engine and 4L60-E Transmission (with engine/frame mounts, the ENTIRE wiring harness and ALL associated electronics, lights, and switches, even the dash cluster!)
* Upper intake manifold - 2000+ 3400 upper intake manifold – large bore, make EGR block-off parts
3500 (LX9, non VVT) Complete upper end - minus upper intake manifold and throttle body. Complete cyl. heads w/ valve covers, lower intake, Injector blue O rings, and attached sensors w/ pigtails (maybe 2 front 3500 exhaust manifolds depending on space restrictions, or custom headers) from…
• 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu/Chevrolet Malibu Maxx
• 2005-2006 Pontiac G6
Gaskets – thick head gaskets to lower compression a little? The rest for 3500 I think, more research required, input welcome
Cam – Have reground for the 11.5:1 compression (for 87 octane in street car)
Pushrods – custom length, more research required, input welcome
Lifters - ??? , more research required, input welcome
Throttle Body - 65 mm 3.5L Olds Intrigue/Aurora Throttle Body (custom adapter plate MUST be made – no direct bolt-on)
Injectors - from a 3.4 DOHC, #24 @ 43.5 PSI.
Fuel Rail - pre-1999 3100/3400
Fuel Lines – select from most appropriate 3100/3400 powered body-style, modify if necessary.
External crank trigger - from http://wot-tech.com/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=38 (is this necessary with Megasquirt?)
Fuel pump - for a 1991 TPI 350 Camaro (modified for my tank)
CPS - external 7x setup from 60degreev6.com store (is this necessary with Megasquirt?)
Megasquirt II Engine Management - controlling fuel and spark, hooked to the Car PC and running piggyback with OEM system transplanted from donor Camaro to handle transmission and extras.

* = Already have it!

Sorry about the strange format, I actually typed the preceeding list up to take around to local machine shops to get advice.

Last edited by 80Scooter3.4; 02-12-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added info and fixed grammar mistakes