V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Wow, INCREDIBAL loss of power!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:31 PM

Wow, INCREDIBAL loss of power!!!

Do you guys ever lose huge amounts of power when running the A/C? My car turns into a SLUG when using the A/C... I have to gun it just to get on the freeway. I've noticed however my car's been running ALOT slower in general too. When I'm driving and need the extra power to climb hills or accellerate, I have to really put my foot into it before the car will downshift and even when it does, the accelleration is crappy. The engine sounds rasp when it's accellerating, like it's half asleep. I have NO SES light. I'm also having just a slight thud from 1st to 2nd shift. The car sort of hesitates and buckles slightly under commandment of aceleration from 1500 RPM... but nowere else... Today I was darn near gunning it just to get it up to speed out of intersections. I threw some SeaFoam in there... no go. I BELIEVE the car was tuned up not to long ago. I'm going to have another check though. Anything else as to why my car has started running so SLOW?... It feels inresponsive...not hesitant....just giving barely enough.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:35 AM

Re: Wow, INCREDIBAL loss of power!!!

Is it detonating?
Your A/C should cut off at WOT.
I don't run the A/C in eather if my camaros so I don't know first hand how it feals when it's on.
My be you have to much refrigerant, or it is about to die (the A/C compressor).
Old 08-31-2004, 06:53 PM

If it was detonating I would beable to feel it I'm sure. There's no rough idle or rough ride, just alot of hesitation. The RPM'S arn't even jumping around the car just feels null and dead... I could give it so much gas and it will move, but nowere even NEAR the capacity of a "woken" sleeper. The pedal feels fleshy and it feels like the car just takes a long time to..."catch up".... I can't even keep up with normal traffic now. Like I said before there's absolutely no rocking or thudding or bouncing around, it just feels like I'm pressing the gas pedal for nothing....

Today it got worse. I got a rough 1st to 2nd gear shift, a SES light, and the imfamous P1870 code. I know exactly what this means. It means I might have to splurge $300 to get it flxxed at a tranny shop. I need the sonnax fix kit don't I?... Is there ANY cases of bad transmission fluid / filter setting off the P1870 code?
Old 09-01-2004, 07:47 AM

Mine is doing something simialar. I had power from a start, then after 1800rpms all of first gear slipped, then was fine in upper gears. Now, it doesnt want to shift any gears... shifting way. late. no power anywhere, just enough to propell me down the road at maybe the speed limit. No Codes either. I kind of expected something with my tranny this ****ed. Im shopping around for a rebuild now. Time for a built tranny and high stall! :P

I was wondering at first if this was because of the custom tune I have that upped the line pressure and deleted the torque management. I now feel more comfortable with the tune seeing another 97 (and a stock one at that) having the same problems at the same time.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:20 PM

My car stutters occasionally whenever I turn on anything on the far dial, defrost, air, anything. I can turn the fan on fine, though. I have bigger problems to worry about with my car, though.

But, hey, I can get my oil, oil filter, fuel filter, plugs and wires all changed for $160 labor, right Need4Camaro?
Old 09-02-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by sharpe
But, hey, I can get my oil, oil filter, fuel filter, plugs and wires all changed for $160 labor, right Need4Camaro?