CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   V6 Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/)
-   -   How much for head gasket change? (Labor only) (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/how-much-head-gasket-change-labor-only-338580/)

Craddock 02-04-2005 04:32 PM

How much for head gasket change? (Labor only)

I need to get the head gaskets changed out in my car, and I've already bought the parts, I just need someone to do it, because I don't have the time or experience to do it myself. So, how much would the labor only cost me to get the head gaskets changed?

Note: I've did some of the work already with my dad, so we've got the intake off, the part that says 3.4L, and all of the stuff around that.

Tru2Chevy 02-07-2005 09:05 AM

Re: How much for head gasket change? (Labor only)

If you already have the top end half way off, I say you just keep pulling it apart and do the swap yourself. Most shops will charge you book time (my '85 2.8L book time was 4.8 hours or something like that). That will be a few hundred bucks that you could save pretty easily.

What parts of the gasket fix are you not sure about? I'd be glad to offer some tips or suggestions if you need them.

- Justin

CamaroKid813169 02-07-2005 06:07 PM

I agree I just did mine this weekend and saved alot of money that way, If you had most if it apart already it's not that much more to swap them out and replace them

Craddock 02-08-2005 03:18 PM

I seriously have no idea on what to do with the rest of it, and I know that if I got it apart, I couldn't put it back together. I'm only 17, and I haven't really went anywhere near this deep into a car, so doing it myself could lead to more damage. My dad doesn't want to help me fix it because he doesn't want me to drive it for insurance reasons. I had to pay for my car myself, so I'm paying to have it fixed myself. My parents are @ssholes when it comes to cars, so I have to pay for everything myself pretty much.

Tru2Chevy 02-08-2005 10:36 PM

$15 on a Chiltons is way better than $300 for a shop to finish the job you started. Not to mention paying to have it towed there.

What parts do you have off of the motor so far?

- Justin

Craddock 02-09-2005 03:06 PM

I already have the fuel intake and some of the accessories on the front taken off. It's cold and wet outside, and I don't have a garage to work in. I'm just not ready to go that far into the engine, so I'm having it fixed. I've got a Hayne's manual, I couldn't find a Chiltons manual. The garage also does machine work, so should I have them bore out the engine since it's already taken apart? If it would do any good, how much should I have them bore it over?

94m5 02-09-2005 04:30 PM

I charge 250 for a 3.4 head gasket job.....done a few of em.

BlackZ28Camaro 02-09-2005 09:37 PM

If you bore the engine that involves rebuilding the whole engine = alot more parts and a whole lot more money than a few hundred bucks. I never replaced head gaskets my self either. And im currently building my first engine for my 02 z28 and im 25.

Breaking down an engine for the first time can seem somewhat intimadating. But im about to get over it and pull my engine and put a new engine in in a couple months. So I hope all goes well.

Anyways good luck with your car and its good to start young.

Joel

sw89lt1 02-09-2005 10:25 PM

dude it doesnt matter how old you are. if you have 1/2 a brain and can read a book do it your self. i just replaced the head on my neon(p.o.s.2003) replaced tranny at 40,000miles. i'm not much older than you. just get a book and take your time.

99andMine 02-11-2005 11:38 PM

Haynes will give you a step by step instruction process complete with a few pics. Any more info you need you can find here. If you have as much off as you said, you should be pretty close to pulling off the heads. Youre almost half way there. I tore down my first small block when i was 16... And as far as getting it machined, dont waste your time. You'll need bigger pistons for the bore, and theyre not to easy to find nor are they cheap. Not to mention the fun time youll have pulling the motor. Take it one step at a time and make sure you get a torque wrench!!

Craddock 02-12-2005 01:38 PM

I'm having the whole engine looked over, I haven't even taken it to a garage to get it checked out yet. I'm pretty sure I've warped the heads, so I have to have them fixed too.

Chantel4580 09-26-2017 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 94m5 (Post 2826160)
I charge 250 for a 3.4 head gasket job.....done a few of em.

What city are u located in I need mine's done

Injuneer 09-26-2017 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chantel4580 (Post 6994981)
What city are u located in I need mine's done

Profile info below his avatar indicates he is in "North Colorado Springs" (Colorado)

94m5 has not signed into this site for a little over three years. You can try sending an email - left click on his screen name, click on "send email to 94m5" on the drop down.