CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   V6 Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/)
-   -   Energy suspension trans. mount?? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/energy-suspension-trans-mount-879204/)

Wishmy96was69 05-06-2014 09:43 PM

Energy suspension trans. mount??

I just installed their poly. bushing on my 96 RS, the rear trans. mount to be exact. It did not line up with the hole in the crossmember at all, roughly 1" off. I redrilled the crossmember mount hole to make it work.
Now on to my question, my car has a ton of vibration from the engine and trans..... I can feel everything and the higher the rpm's, the worse it is.
Is this normal or did I screw something up? My car ran very smooth with the worn out/broken stock rear trans mount. Just the exhaust made noise as it flopped around..lol

4th Gen 4 Life 05-07-2014 05:50 AM

Re: Energy suspension trans. mount??

Rumor says the pre 97 cast driveshafts had a bad vibration already. But not only if it already had a slight vibration but you could have increased it by raising or lowering the trans from the height of the mount. My suggestion is ether find a 97+ aluminum driveshaft or purchase a stock mount.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Injuneer 05-07-2014 10:46 AM

The 96 V6 uses a 2-piece steel driveshaft that does not typically experience the same critical frequency vibration problems as the single piece steel DS used on the V8 models. However, if the center support bearing or the CV joint is worn out, you can encounter vibration issues. And these can be worsened by misalignment of the DS.

FirebirdGT 05-07-2014 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Wishmy96was69 (Post 6962205)
I just installed their poly. bushing on my 96 RS, the rear trans. mount to be exact. It did not line up with the hole in the crossmember at all, roughly 1" off. I redrilled the crossmember mount hole to make it work.
Now on to my question, my car has a ton of vibration from the engine and trans..... I can feel everything and the higher the rpm's, the worse it is.
Is this normal or did I screw something up? My car ran very smooth with the worn out/broken stock rear trans mount. Just the exhaust made noise as it flopped around..lol

Did you add a spacer? Their mount is shorter than the stock V6 tranny mount. If not your tranny U-joint angle is way off.

Wishmy96was69 05-07-2014 10:43 PM

All good answers I agree with. Thanks guys, I wanted to put the single DS in anyways for rotational weight reduction alone. And no I did not add a spacer, will check into that. I was wondering about the height difference while I was underneath the car fighting that "universal" mount.... It was hard to tell because the stock mount was beyond toast.

FirebirdGT 05-07-2014 10:57 PM

Billet 6061 1/2" transmission spacers. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

1LE Transmission Mount - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

1LE Mount Installed - NO SPACER REQUIRED - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Wishmy96was69 05-08-2014 02:34 AM

FirebirdGT, thanks bud you are awesome. Exactly what I need in the first link. I can make that no problem. I have been kicking around the firebirdv6 site as well. Just have not registered there because they don't like gmail when you sign up.

Wishmy96was69 06-05-2014 12:31 PM

1/2" spacers did the trick. Smooth as silk now. Thanks again

fbodyrs96 06-08-2014 01:56 AM

dont forget v6f-body.com and fullthrottlev6.com