CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   V6 Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/)
-   -   eliminating 97 3.8 plastic fuel lines ????? How can it be done? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/eliminating-97-3-8-plastic-fuel-lines-how-can-done-835946/)

jproz1167 10-19-2011 05:19 AM

eliminating 97 3.8 plastic fuel lines ????? How can it be done?

2 Attachment(s)
While driving the car I noticed a fuel smell and pulled over and opened the hood to find my feed line had a hole and was spraying a stream of gas on the coil pack.

Needles to say plastic lines will NOT be going back on this car!

What are my options here ??? I was thinking about stainless steel lines But can't seem to find any connectors that will work with my fuel rails. I have seen LT! connectors for some so called AN fitting but would these work on my 3.8?

Please if you are going to say welllllllll the GM lines are only 50 bucks don't bother. There is just no way I can comprehend ever having my son in this car again after seeing this marvel in engineering dousing the coil pack with fuel.

I know stainless braided line will carry a premium and if it costs 300.00'ish to convert so be it.

This is the 3/8th supply line fitting and it has a 5/16th return fitting that is the same but smaller. So will LT1 fittings interchange? Also what is the other fitting like under the car?

Also does anyone know the exact length of these plastic lines so if need be I can just have like hose mart make them

any help greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!! Also this car has no aftermarket stuff so stock size lines will be just fine.

Attachment 11308

Attachment 11309

I bought this same disconnect tool at autozone to remove my fuel rail connectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LT1-LT4-LS1-...item1e6662b8ff

this is a an fuel rail connector I saw that says it fits a LT1 but I don't understand the whole an sizing as compared to what my 3/8th's fuel line and 5/16th on is. Both of my fuel rail connectors come straight out like these so would the work? Also any help in buying other associated stuff to get it all hooked up is appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Retrofit-LT1...item1c1edc2031

supercharged024 10-19-2011 07:01 PM

Re: eliminating 97 3.8 plastic fuel lines ????? How can it be done?

Gm uses those style ends on many fuel lines so it's simply a matter of replacing the lines with the braided ones. Most of the companies that deal with braided lines(Earls,) for example should also have ends to adapt them if you want to replace it all from front to back. The plastic lines are ok, never had a problem with them. Did it get kinked while he was working on the car before that? Getting a kink in the line will damage it and cause it to rupture or was it chaffing against something?

jproz1167 10-20-2011 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by supercharged024 (Post 6805448)
Gm uses those style ends on many fuel lines so it's simply a matter of replacing the lines with the braided ones. Most of the companies that deal with braided lines(Earls,) for example should also have ends to adapt them if you want to replace it all from front to back. The plastic lines are ok, never had a problem with them. Did it get kinked while he was working on the car before that? Getting a kink in the line will damage it and cause it to rupture or was it chaffing against something?

No chafing, no kinking, no nothing ... Something has just caused my lines to become brittle, if you squeeze them they will crack open if you try to bend them they shatter. 135k miles on the car ... no work was done to the car prior to this or within at least 2 years. No fuel additives have ever been added to the car ..... I am curious if this is a result of additives being added to fuel in California for which the car was never designed for. I've owned this car since it was new so I know exactly was has been done to it. Work under the hood isn't one of them aside from 1 tuneup, some oil changes, and coolant change and a few other minor things. It has always been serviced by chevrolet since new.

Anyways I am curious after all the bends and routing just how many feet of 3/8th's and 5/16th fuel line are on this car so I can order enough stainless steel line to do the whole car.

Also companies that sell every connector I will need to complete this project.

what are the connectors like at the fuel filter and fuel sending unit?

Any ideas you may have to make this job easier on me are appreciated.

jproz1167 10-20-2011 07:13 AM

Ok I talked to a guy who says just buy -6an for the feed and return lines since a -5an for the 5/16 return line is hard to find.

The LT1 -an6 fittings should be what I need then correct? and then just buy two more sets for the fuel filter and return line?

I have ebay'ed -6an assembled line in 10 foot lengths would these be long enough to replace the factory plastic lines? does anyone know exactly how long these plastic lines really are? Also what does the return line connect to under the car? A metal line?

jproz1167 10-20-2011 10:43 AM

I finally got the plastic lines off the car today, not really that hard of a job. But honestly after feeling the rest of my lines I have to say if you trust these things you got way more confidence then I do. I will be much happier with real fuel lines taking there place and knowing this won't happen again.

If you value your car though I recommend doing this to everyone. Just a guestimate but I say it's going to take 30' of braided line and 4 of those 6an quick connect fittings. I am also going to do the plastic line from the fuel filter to the sending unit when I get a chance.

I will let you all know the total bill for this swap.

jproz1167 10-21-2011 05:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I went to hose man yesterday and he fixed me right up with 300psi 5/16 & 3/8 fuel line and used my original quik disconnect fittings and nice band crimps to seal the hoses.

Total cost was 102 bucks but that included doing the fuel filter to sending unit hose as well, took a total of I think 36 feet of hose. This should end the plastic line fiasco and I won't have to worry about my coilpack being doused in fuel again.

I will let you all know how the fit the car and take some pics.

here is the 3/8th's feed line

Attachment 11279

here is the 5/16th's return line

Attachment 11280

here is a closeup of the crimps used

Attachment 11281

jproz1167 10-21-2011 09:19 PM

7 Attachment(s)
There is a few mods you have to do to get the lines to fit

Use a larger black plastic sheath

use a razor to open up the strut tower gromet

re-apply the warning labels

route hoses a bit different

but it works and so far no leaks .... excellent modification and much better then stock.

Attachment 11243

Attachment 11244

Attachment 11245

Attachment 11246

Attachment 11247

Attachment 11248

Attachment 11249

jit11375 10-21-2011 10:44 PM

surprised no one else has commented on this, but job well done. you would think if your fuel lines were all so brittle more guys would have this problem and do this conversion as you did, hmm. glad you did it right the first time and now you can just forget about it. peace of mind, nothing beats it

jproz1167 10-22-2011 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jit11375 (Post 6807201)
surprised no one else has commented on this, but job well done. you would think if your fuel lines were all so brittle more guys would have this problem and do this conversion as you did, hmm. glad you did it right the first time and now you can just forget about it. peace of mind, nothing beats it

Some think it could have been from additives in californias gas, I had the engine steam cleaned and detailed about a year ago so maybe de-greasing chemicals were the cause. Whatever the stock fuel pressure is, is what the car is at. It had a fuel pump put in but it was just a stock replacement.

Where the line sprung a leak there were no abrasion issues.

jit11375 10-22-2011 04:32 PM

well you don't gotta worry about the chemicals or the additives anymore ;)

Notsue 02-22-2015 07:13 PM

So happy I found this thread. Bookmarking it to look at again later.

My husband managed to melt my fuel lines and almost burnt down the house as well. We made a quick patch repair to the lines, but now its time to permanently fix the issue. I'm happy that length of hose was mentioned, as I was meaning to go out and look at my car, but its soooo cold over here.

ZeeS7o7 03-24-2015 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Notsue (Post 6973552)
So happy I found this thread. Bookmarking it to look at again later.

My husband managed to melt my fuel lines and almost burnt down the house as well. We made a quick patch repair to the lines, but now its time to permanently fix the issue. I'm happy that length of hose was mentioned, as I was meaning to go out and look at my car, but its soooo cold over here.

This wouldn't happen to be Sue from norcal-lsx would it? if so Hi! and if not, Hi anyways lol

sorry for the hijack lol

Mark Cramer 09-02-2015 01:08 AM

Hi, is the hose guy near Los Angeles?

BigSturg 09-14-2016 01:52 PM

Thank you much for the info do to one of my connectors that connected to fuel rail started leaking and coil pack ignited fire and melted my hoses off yesturday I like your fix so much better looks alot safer as well much appreciated /much respect.

Tapia Oscarfer 05-15-2020 03:01 PM

"The fuel filter to sending unit hose" what size hose is that. That hose is leaking bad on my car. Looking for a replacement