CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   V6 Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/)
-   -   98 runs then wont start (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/v6-tech-22/98-runs-then-wont-start-820649/)

CCLAN64 07-06-2011 09:05 PM

98 runs then wont start

I got a 98 3.8 sometimes it wont start you can crank n crank nothing other times it fires up and runs great. I just replaced the plugs an wires fuel filter air filter.This prob just started. any ideas?? I dont think it has an inertia switch,and I do not want to put in a fuel pump and still have this issue.I am stumped please give some input

shoebox 07-06-2011 10:33 PM

Re: 98 runs then wont start

People more familiar with your car are in the V6 forum. You might try there.

ACE1252 07-06-2011 10:35 PM

Is the service engine soon light on?

You mention not wanting to change the fuel pump, but a fuel pressure check during the no start condition is a must.

My factory manual should include a no start troubleshooting chart(for 96 3.8, but should also work on your 98 3.8....but you will have electronic throttle control compared to the 96 model's cable throttle body). I'll try to get pictures of the charts up for you.

CCLAN64 07-07-2011 12:54 AM

thought about the fuel pressure check but when it runs it seems fine,no sputtering cutting out etc.Last time it ran daily for 2 maybe 3 weeks before it didnt start again.Not having ever checked fuel pressure before I assumed if it was running fine the pressure was good.

CCLAN64 07-07-2011 12:56 AM

also the check engine light was on and blinking at times but when I changed the plugs\wires I hooked it to a reader and reset everything which shut the light off,I will check to see if it came back on I had not noticed

Evolution223 07-07-2011 06:19 PM

I think If the check light blinks that's suppose to signal a serious problem that will shut off the engine. Check your manual.

ACE1252 07-07-2011 07:47 PM

A blinking SES light means misfire(IIRC). The plugs and plug wires generally take care of that(plug wires are a problem on the 3.8). However it would not be a bad idea to have it scanned for codes. Write down the numbers.....the descriptions could be wrong, but the numbers should be right. We can look them up if you have any set

CCLAN64 07-09-2011 12:04 PM

all right i am a pretty new with the reader but I will check,I also noticed from the air intake it sounds like a bearing goin out I first thought it was water pump etc but I pulled off the boots and the sound is coming from the intake ???What could that be ?? I also remember the diagnostic said egr stuck open and misfire on #3 I will get back with the codes thanks everyone

ACE1252 07-10-2011 05:50 PM

There is a counter balance shaft in the top of the engine. It might be a bearing for that if all the others in the front of the engine check out. If I recall correctly, the 3800 Series II has a 90* crank(most V6's are 60*)....the crank throws are 90* apart....this causes an inherent imbalance of the crank because it is a 6 cylinder. The counter balance shaft corrects the imbalance of the crank.

Here are the no start pics I promised.

http://www.ace1252.com/1996_Z28_Fact...rank_No_Start/

ACE1252 07-10-2011 05:52 PM

My brother also had an EGR valve go out on him. I replaced the EGR valve. It was a simple fix.

CCLAN64 07-12-2011 08:54 PM

thanks Ace
gimme a few days and I will give you new news.I looked at the egr its about as easy to get at as anything,but not cheap.
In spose to have that fuel press tester wed night,we will see
thanks again

CCLAN64 07-13-2011 05:36 PM

allright fuel pressure is at:key on 50lbs engine idle(cold)44lbs
shut engine off fuel goes back to 50lbs and the bleed down is roughly 2 lbs in about 5 min.
Hooked up the "reader" but it says no dtc stored ,no enhanced dtc stored and vehicle does not support abs communication .
One other thing and I am not sure if it helps but the security light stays on constant(with key in run position) and the little red light blinks when the car is off.any chance this might be a security issue?I pulled the "key"and of course the car acts dead when you replace it everything seems to be normal.
ideas ???

CCLAN64 07-14-2011 11:51 AM

when I said the security light stays on I mean on the cluster panel and the key I am refering to is that little piece that plugs into what passed for a usb port in 1998 and btw thanks for for the link to the factory manuals....nice
thanks again please stay with me your insight is greatly appreciated

CCLAN64 07-14-2011 01:18 PM

I just pulled the intake assy between the air filter housing and the intake screen off and it had a puddle of oil(good ole 10w40 it appears)inside.Earlier I stated that the last time I had the reader hooked up it showed the egr stuck open,when I replaced the plugs & wires I pulled the egr and cleaned it so that it looked operational.I then hooked it back up to the reader and the happy idiot that I am I shut off the check engine light which also apparently cleared the history .SO now I have the car that runs and starts sometimes and has the security light on when it does run with the above stated fuel pressure and oil running out the intake area and I have not even mentioned that the front left indicator(external)light keeps blowing.... Our Father who art in Heaven lol

ACE1252 07-24-2011 11:35 AM

If the security light stays on and does not go out, it could be that the contacts in the cylinder lock are not making contact with the resistor pellet in the key.

This also happened to my brother...in Raleigh, NC of all places. The car would do nothing but display the security light(not even attempt to turnover). To get him going, I did the VATS bypass with the correct resistor values based off his key resistor pellet.

How to do the VATS bypass is on Shoebox's page. Just make sure that is really your problem. You can pull the VATS connector(leave key in ignition) and do a resistance check of that connector(harness part leading to key cylinder lock) to see if the lock contacts are working.